Coco Cay Questions

DorothyMantooth

I'll admit it ... I'm really a lurker, and only posted a couple of times. I hope I am putting this post/question in the right forum.

We are sailing with RCI this summer and stopping at Coco Cay. I understand that this is a "private" island only used by RCI and Celebrity.

My questions are these: in your experiences, is there really a reason to pre-book any of the "on shore" activities at this island? We wouldn't want to do any of the "big" attractions like parasailing, or jet skis. But, I could see my kids wanting to do the water slide and/or the water park. Is this something we could decide to do once we get there? Or do these add-ons typically reach capacity meaning we'd be out of luck?

Thanks!

You were close....but here is the board for the private islands such as Coco Cay :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=406

I would think tickets for the water slides, etc. would be easily purchased once onboard. If you were looking to do the jetski or parasailing excursions during a certain time then booking ahead might be beneficial.

Have fun!

You were close....but here is the board for the private islands such as Coco Cay :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=406

I would think tickets for the water slides, etc. would be easily purchased once onboard. If you were looking to do the jetski or parasailing excursions during a certain time then booking ahead might be beneficial.

Have fun!

Thanks so much! I appreciate the help/directions to the right forum and the feedback!

.....when considering excursions: how many other ships are in port that day? The more ships, the more competition for excursions.

Coco Cay will usually have only one ship at a time, occasionally two. My next cruise goes to Nassau, and we'll be one of four ships in port, so I booked early for my Nassau non-ship sponsored excursion.

There's a website that shows what ships are in what port for every day of the year. I don't think CC would allow me to post it here, but with a little Google effort you could find it.

don't think CC would allow me to post it here' date=' but with a little Google effort you could find it.

[/quote']

ports dot cruisett dot com

creuisetimetables dot com

Being a cruise newbie, I didn't know I could find out this information. It is helpful to know how many ships will be in port. Thanks!

There is no reason to pre-book the things you're considering..

Thanks. I really would rather take a more leisurely approach to this port and not pre-book. Afterall this vacation should be all about relaxation, right?;)

I really would rather take a more leisurely approach to this port and not pre-book. Afterall this vacation should be all about relaxation, right?;)

Right. Not to mention, but with Coco Cay being a tender port, weather and sea conditions dictate whether or not you get there. I wouldn't pre-book anything and pay for it yet - you are wise to wait and see what you feel like doing that day.

You can get tickets for the water slide on the island. The tickets are either for one ride for something like $5 or for the whole day for $20. I decided to go for the whole day and it was worth it. :)

I didn't try the water park but I imagine you can buy the tickets on the island too. Ask once you're on the ship. There's no reason to pre-book online.

You can get tickets for the water slide on the island. The tickets are either for one ride for something like $5 or for the whole day for $20. I decided to go for the whole day and it was worth it. :)

I didn't try the water park but I imagine you can buy the tickets on the island too. Ask once you're on the ship. There's no reason to pre-book online.

How busy was it at the slide? Did you have to wait in a long line up?

Right. Not to mention, but with Coco Cay being a tender port, weather and sea conditions dictate whether or not you get there. I wouldn't pre-book anything and pay for it yet - you are wise to wait and see what you feel like doing that day.

Great point. I hadn't even considered that.

Thanks. This helps ease my mind a bit. I won't have to worry about pre-planning CocoCay.:)

Great point. I hadn't even considered that.

Thanks. This helps ease my mind a bit. I won't have to worry about pre-planning CocoCay.:)

Hi Dorothy~Just to let you know, we are 4 for 4 in getting to tender to Coco Cay! :D It is beautiful and yes, you can pay for the slide, etc. when you get there. Enjoy your trip!

We were there last week. My kids loved the slide and the line was never long, thankfully. $22 for an all day pass was money well spent in our family. My kids weren't interested in the water park, but it works differently. You only get 50 minutes out there. Every hour, on the hour, they take a new group out there, so that requires a little more thought if you want to do it, and when.

• 1 month later...

Besides water slide and water park, are there lounges / water toys, etc.? Any shady nice places on that beach? I would think since it's a private island, it should have all that. Things like hammocks, chairs, etc. Any additional feedback is appreciated. :cool:

Besides water slide and water park, are there lounges / water toys, etc.? Any shady nice places on that beach? I would think since it's a private island, it should have all that. Things like hammocks, chairs, etc. Any additional feedback is appreciated. :cool:

Prior to our Cococay beach day June 20th, I also wondered about the shady areas, etc. There are several beach areas you can walk to, all have plenty of loungers, many under shade and still more under sun. If you want nice, secluded beach with shade - there is Barefoot Beach, the clamshells/cabanettes (for $50 incl champagne, water and tram ride to main areas) are also located here.

There were also areas of hammocks under tall palm/coconut trees, but I didn't seen where they were located beside the water like the loungers were.

I saw a couple of station huts where floating mats were available for $14/day. There was also Caylana's water cove park that we signed up ahead as an excursion - not sure if you can just walk up to pay as it is per hour time slots.

I suggest water shoes when in the water - there are several underwater sea grass areas, shells/small rocks.

Hope this helps!

Hi Dorothy~Just to let you know, we are 4 for 4 in getting to tender to Coco Cay! :D It is beautiful and yes, you can pay for the slide, etc. when you get there. Enjoy your trip!

This is great news! The idea of NOT being able to tender at Coco Cay has crossed my mind several times. It is encouraging that you've had such luck!

To the OP (Dorothy) just an FYI, the water slide, etc... is not something you even see when you get off the tender and head towards the closest beach area. I never laid eyes on it. So if you think it's something your kids would want to do because they see it, they probably won't unless you go walking around to another beach area. It was our first time in April and we were perfectly content with the area right off the tender. Lots of loungers, beach/sand and water to swim and snorkel in. And the buffet lunch is set up right in that area, too. It was such a wonderfully relaxing day doing not much of anything :)

I too have a question about the shade. We've been past Coco-maybe twice and hoping to finally making this time. I will burn even with an spf 30....is there really a lot of shade or will I have to 'chase' it all day?

Also, are there umbrellas or clam shells to rent....my pockets are not deep enough for a cabana so please don't suggest one of those.

Thanks.

I too have a question about the shade. We've been past Coco-maybe twice and hoping to finally making this time. I will burn even with an spf 30....is there really a lot of shade or will I have to 'chase' it all day?

Also, are there umbrellas or clam shells to rent....my pockets are not deep enough for a cabana so please don't suggest one of those.

Thanks.

I had a previous post on this thread about the clamshells. We rented one when we were there mid June. You can purchase it as an excursion if they are not sold out. For $50, you get a nice size clamshell that fits 2 loungers and small table, 2 1.5 liter bottles of water, champagne, tram rides to/from the area as it is located on the furthest beach on the island, Barefoot beach. This beach is secluded but beautiful with clear shallow water. They give you a wrist band to identify you as having a clamshell so that you can come and go. There is staff for the roped in clamshell area, which is a 5 min walk along the shore to Willies beach, where the water park is.

I had a previous post on this thread about the clamshells. We rented one when we were there mid June. You can purchase it as an excursion if they are not sold out. For $50, you get a nice size clamshell that fits 2 loungers and small table, 2 1.5 liter bottles of water, champagne, tram rides to/from the area as it is located on the furthest beach on the island, Barefoot beach. This beach is secluded but beautiful with clear shallow water. They give you a wrist band to identify you as having a clamshell so that you can come and go. There is staff for the roped in clamshell area, which is a 5 min walk along the shore to Willies beach, where the water park is.

Can clamshells be rented right off the beach? Besides the cabana's, I haven't seen anything about clamshell rentals offered under cruise excursions through the cruise line.