HAL and Alaska ideal combo?

I'm getting flyers in the mail, watching videos (linked below), and am convinced that Holland America is selling crack! We're interested in the Yukon Y3 or Y5, and for anyone who has taken this tour, I've got a couple questions:

1. Land or Sea first?

2. How much would you budget for food and beverage?

3. Do you know anyone that did 3 people per cabin/hotel, or do you think they're spacious enough on land?

4. Is there ample time in Skagway, or are you just transferring from ship to coach or vice versa?

5. Glad you did it once, or looking forward to doing it again?

We're doing the Northbound on Celebrity first, and have tentative plans with a friend for 2017. Princess has some ridiculously cheap Denali/Fairbanks tours near to sailing, how would their routes and land amenities compare?

Thanks!

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

Hi Stateroom Sailor We did the 19 day Land First and then the cruise. When you do the land first you bond with the group and those friendships seem to follow onto the cruise ship and its kind of nice to now a few people. Just my opinion

I have done this 2x before they made changes to the itinerary. Now they fly you to Dawson City to save two days that we had on the road visiting Tok, Eagle, and Chicken, etc. You do want as much time on land as you can arrange. You need two days in Dawson City and you want to go to Glacier Bay for sure. Land first.

If you do Y3 you will have an overnight in Skagway, I think, and join your ship around lunch time the following day. If you want to plan an excursion for that join ship day you can make arrangements to have your luggage sent to the ship and you can get there when you are ready. The ship will not leave Skagway until later that evening.

Every review that I have read re: the Yukon journey has been positive and I am waiting to see how the flying from Fairbanks to Dawson City works out in 2014.

Y5 is too short with only one night Fairbanks, Dawson and Whitehorse. Always plan for as much time as you can.

The hotel rooms are plenty big enough for three. I have never cruised with three in a stateroom and don't think I would want to.

As far as the food issue. You will be responsible for food in most cases on the land part of the trip. They will have a meal plan you can purchase but it limits you to eating at the hotel (and on the train). Check the cost of the meal plan and see if you think it is too high. If you eat a lot and like desserts it may be worthwhile. I think it also includes tips.

I'm looking forward to doing it again in a couple of years after I get some feedback from the changes they have made this year.

Edited by oaktreerb

Definitely land first. Our first cruise/tour was cruise first. Every day on land got longer and longer. It never gets dark. We ended our Denali tour around 11 pm. By the time we got to Anchorage to fly home we were exhausted. Would have been nice to have a few days on a cruise to energize.

Thanks for your recommendations. I honestly would rather do the land portion first, but the price difference may prevent us. It's a good point about bonding with others on the tour, and Glacier Bay. We're also hoping HAL keeps doing their 2 week itinerary, so that we can see Glacier Bay, and unique ports like Kodiak Island. Flying back we can just spend an extra night in Vegas to rest up on the way home. ;)

To oaktreerb, I remember looking last year and not seeing the flight. We're definitely leaning Y3 for the extra night in Dawson, which includes excursions and lunch, for just $100+ pp more. Any extra nights anywhere else is a day on your own, yet it costs more.

I have a friend who's never cruised before, he's not sure it will be his thing, but he LOVES the outdoors and Alaska! I'm hoping we can travel with 4 and have two cabins, but if not it may be a tight squeeze on the ship!

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

Thanks for your recommendations. I honestly would rather do the land portion first, but the price difference may prevent us. It's a good point about bonding with others on the tour, and Glacier Bay. We're also hoping HAL keeps doing their 2 week itinerary, so that we can see Glacier Bay, and unique ports like Kodiak Island. Flying back we can just spend an extra night in Vegas to rest up on the way home. ;)

Just an FYI, the 14 day cruise that HAL does to Alaska does not include Glacier Bay. It does, however, go to Hubbard Glacier.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

We are planning the Y3 for July or Aug, 2015. It will be a costly vacation and we thought about doing the cruise first to save some money, however, I think we have read enough comments to do the land first to convince us. Also are considering an inside or ocean view instead of our usual balcony. We will only be on the ship for 4 nights and the difference is $1400, that's $350/day extra for a balcony.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

BTW - we are planning a $1000 for food on the land tours and we are simple eaters; burgers, pizza, Do intend to try a Salmon bake

We are planning the Y3 for July or Aug, 2015. It will be a costly vacation and we thought about doing the cruise first to save some money, however, I think we have read enough comments to do the land first to convince us. Also are considering an inside or ocean view instead of our usual balcony. We will only be on the ship for 4 nights and the difference is $1400, that's $350/day extra for a balcony.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

BTW - we are planning a $1000 for food on the land tours and we are simple eaters; burgers, pizza, Do intend to try a Salmon bake

I think you are wise to forgo the balcony to save some money. The balcony is lovely, don't get me wrong. But you will want to get out on the open decks anyway so that your view is not limited to one side. Part of the majesty of Alaska is seeing all around you, which cannot be done on a balcony. Therefore, if budget is a concern, then take a lesser cabin category so that you do not compromise your vacation experience.

I also agree with land first. We did the cruise first. It was still great but they were long days on the land portion. If I were doing it again, I would do it in reverse. We also missed Glacier Bay on that trip. I didn't know about CC then and didn't do any research. Had to make up for that boo-boo two more times. And I'm about to go on my fourth cruise to Alaska - in 16 days (but who's counting?)!

Just an FYI, the 14 day cruise that HAL does to Alaska does not include Glacier Bay. It does, however, go to Hubbard Glacier.

Good to know! Having an extra day at sea to recoup, seeing Glacier Bay, and connecting with people before the cruise does justify the extra price. We'll know more after this summer, in how many times we think we'll want to go to Alaska, and whether it will be 2, 3, or 4 people going.