Booking last minute?

BrownCalico

Hey everyone!

I have a question/scenario for everyone, and would love to get some opinions...

My husband and I want to take a cruise for our anniversary which is December 10. We have previously cruised Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, and Carnival and are open to any line. We are also open to just about any departure port from New Orleans east.

I have been watching for a GREAT deal, but all the sales I am seeing are for summer sailings. We already have a cruise planned on Vision of the Seas for May, and I am seeing some AMAZING deals for May cruises, of course, not on the ship we are sailing... so that made me think... how late do you recommend booking to get the best deal? I am trying to balance the OCD planner in me with the cheapskate deal seeker... Also, I know that the later we book the cruise, the higher airfare will be, which will negate some of our savings...

So what does everyone think?? When would you book? I know December is off season, so rates are lower anyway... Recommendations on which ship(s) to try?

THANKS!!!

Hey everyone!

My husband and I want to take a cruise for our anniversary which is December 10. We have previously cruised Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, and Carnival and are open to any line. We are also open to just about any departure port from New Orleans east.

I have been watching for a GREAT deal, but all the sales I am seeing are for summer sailings. We already have a cruise planned on Vision of the Seas for May, and I am seeing some AMAZING deals for May cruises, of course, not on the ship we are sailing... so that made me think... how late do you recommend booking to get the best deal? I am trying to balance the OCD planner in me with the cheapskate deal seeker... Also, I know that the later we book the cruise, the higher airfare will be, which will negate some of our savings...

So what does everyone think?? When would you book? I know December is off season, so rates are lower anyway... Recommendations on which ship(s) to try?

THANKS!!!

I don't have any recommendations regarding which ship to book or where to go, but do have some insight about booking at the last minute based on personal experience.

Waiting until the last minute is often a gamble. Sometimes you win, some times you lose. For example, for our next cruise which is still 9 months out, some categories of staterooms are already sold out, or nearly so. If we were booking now, three staterooms left in the category we prefer, and all in less than ideal locations. Prices have gone up since we booked 8 months ago, raising 12% just this last week. I do not expect very many last minutes deals on this cruise, and wouldn't be surprised if there are any at all.

Not all cruises behave this way, so you may get lucky and choose a time and general cruise region that has plenty of excess staterooms, allowing you to get a good deal. But, you will still be getting the leftover staterooms that the early bookings didn't want.

As for me, I'm a bit of a control freak and prefer to spend a bit more to get exactly what I want rather than picking over the leftovers so I can get that deal. If you aren't fussy about ending up in a noisy stateroom location, or missing out on booking excursions because they are already sold out, it may work fine for you.

Edited by boogs

Hey everyone!

THANKS!!!

You're seeing "amazing" deals for May because it's very late for those sailings. No line is going to drop December prices this early.

As others have said, waiting out for a deal is a gamble. If the sailing is popular your price can go up and you will have very limited cabin availability. Or a ship can sell out. Those paying full whack get the choice locations.

You have to decide of winning a game of pricing chicken is more important or if securing the cabin and sailing of your choosing is the priority.

If you limit your cruise options to drivable destinations that can help as well since late airfare won't be a problem.

You can always book airfare to MIA or Fll at a great price now where there are more options and then hope for a deal later.

I would say in September start looking for a cruise. No one can guarantee anything but I travel at that time a lot and we tend to book in September for the week before Xmas and can usually find decent airfare and cheaper prices.

If you are not picky about ports, sail date or cruise line waiting may work for you.

December is not really 'off season', winter is the season in the Caribbean. However, prices are usually pretty low between Thanksgiving and Christmas because parents are not taking kids out of school to travel at that time. EM

Thanks everyone! I understand the longer I wait the less options in terms of getting an exact type of stateroom, ship, or itinerary, but we are actually REALLY flexible on that... All we want is to be on a ship. ;)

If you are flexible, can drive to the port, then WAIT for a last minute deal.

But understand what constitutes a good deal for you and be ready to book when your price hits. We normally narrow it down to one itinerary, sometimes two, and then follow the pricing on three ships on each itinerary.

Now that we are retired we seldom book ahead. Air can be an issue for uswe we often hold cabin for five six hours. IF we get good air, we firm it up.

Last Christmas we got a fabulous offer on a Celebrity Eclipse 14 day. Booked about 40 days out-and air was fine since we have planned to stop in Phoenix.

We will be doing land travel in Europe during Sept/Oct. We are leaving our schedule flexible in anticipation of getting a good price on a Med cruise. Have done this for the past two years and it has worked well for us.

We are looking for an Alaska cruise this summer. We can drive to the port and we can leave on a few days notice. I have no doubt that we will get something. An if we don't...then there is always next year. Last time we did an Alaska cruise we booked ten days ahead of the departure day.

As an aside, in the past we have snagged some great offers on early Dec. Caribbean cruises-especially the 7 day ones.

Edited by iancal

December is not really 'off season', winter is the season in the Caribbean. However, prices are usually pretty low between Thanksgiving and Christmas because parents are not taking kids out of school to travel at that time. EM

Book now and keep checking for price drops. Early December is usually very inexpensive for cruising and weather in the Caribbean is nice.