On the Grand right now- everything is wonderful

secretcastle

I had no idea. So if the closet is smaller in the balcony cabins, will they be even smaller on the Emerald Deck obstructed cabins? I've always been impressed with the closet and storage on Princess ships, now I'm not sure what to expect or how to pack for two weeks and less space.

On the other hand we did the Panama Canal on the Coral for two weeks and that is a smaller ship and had no problems with storage and closet. Would it be similar to that?

Edited by sasha'smom

I had no idea. So if the closet is smaller in the balcony cabins' date=' will they be even smaller on the Emerald Deck obstructed cabins? I've always been impressed with the closet and storage on Princess ships, now I'm not sure what to expect or how to pack for two weeks and less space.

[/quote']

The closet size on the Grand is the same in all inside, outside and balcony cabins. See picture below.

1986015088_0055_28.07ClosetCabinA745100_3634.jpg.b260681866da12c0fa078104a59ec435.jpg

Yep, that is exactly what my closet looks like :) caribe balcony, new mats, great cabin. I did bring about a dozen wire hangers and this helps to save space in the closet rather than asking for more wooden ones.

Honolulu was lovely we did the dolphin encounter, then Ala Moana, Waikiki beach, ultimate deck party, etc. tomorrow is Kauai and we are renting a car there.

( Sasha's mom - we were we you on the 2007 panama cruise, what a great group we had!)

Cheers!

Yep, that is exactly what my closet looks like :) caribe balcony, new mats, great cabin. I did bring about a dozen wire hangers and this helps to save space in the closet rather than asking for more wooden ones.

No need to bring wire hangers. The cabin steward can get wire hangers if you want them.

Honolulu was lovely we did the dolphin encounter, then Ala Moana, Waikiki beach, ultimate deck party, etc. tomorrow is Kauai and we are renting a car there.

( Sasha's mom - we were we you on the 2007 panama cruise, what a great group we had!)

Cheers!

Yes, I remember it well. That's why I remembered your name (I hope I remembered it correctly....these days you never know LOL..Julia, right?)

Thanks for the heads up idea for hangers. Since we're not flying I will bring some with us. I usually take more space than that just for my clothes. Never would have imagined the closet would be so small.

Thanks for the picture of the closet caribill :)

Cheers!

Thanks for the ongoing updates. My DW and I are going on our first Hawaiian cruise, return out of Vancouver, on the Grand on October 2nd. Really looking forward to it.

Paul

Yes, thank you for posting! June 8th will be my 4th Princess cruise and my 1st on the Grand. The negative posts on the Grand were worrying me just a smidge but I appreciate your post.

A few questions if you don't mind (and please anyone chime in)...

The pizza, is it included?

For having breakfast in the dining room as opposed to the buffet, how do you know what dining rooms are open? I never saw that in the patter.

Any other tips?

I'm in a balcony cabin on Caribe...good to know about the closet as we usually stay in Mini-Suites but the deal was too good to pass up for the balcony. I figured everything was smaller so I guess I'm not terribly surprised.

Thanks!

Jenna

Yes, thank you for posting! June 8th will be my 4th Princess cruise and my 1st on the Grand. The negative posts on the Grand were worrying me just a smidge but I appreciate your post.

A few questions if you don't mind (and please anyone chime in)...

The pizza, is it included?

For having breakfast in the dining room as opposed to the buffet, how do you know what dining rooms are open? I never saw that in the patter.

Any other tips?

I'm in a balcony cabin on Caribe...good to know about the closet as we usually stay in Mini-Suites but the deal was too good to pass up for the balcony. I figured everything was smaller so I guess I'm not terribly surprised.

Thanks!

Jenna

Yes. Pizza in Alfredo's Pizzeria on the Plaza deck and at Prego Pizzeria on the Lido deck.

Dining room for breakfast is listed in the Patter (the last page, usually). If you don't see it, just visit the two dining rooms that you enter from the Piazza (Michelangelo or Da Vinci). One of them will be the one serving breakfast. Also, get there early enough to catch the service hours.

Enjoy your cruise is the only other tip I have. :cool:

Edited by ar1950

Normally the Da Vinci dining room will be open for Breakfast from 7:30 to 9:30am and for lunch when not in Port from 12 to 1:30pm. We try to not go the Horizon Court Buffet, to crowded.

Yes on Grand the closets are way

smaller then on the Golden or the

Star.

I too bring wire hangers, take up

less room in closet. Plus I bring the

"hanger thing"..where you can hang

five things..the clothes hang down.

Really helps in the Grand closets.

We loved our Feb cruise on the Grand- I will say we were surprised at how "creaky" it was in the bigger waves- not a complaint (we actually kind of enjoyed the "soundtrack") just not something we had experienced before!

We loved our Feb cruise on the Grand- I will say we were surprised at how "creaky" it was in the bigger waves- not a complaint (we actually kind of enjoyed the "soundtrack") just not something we had experienced before!

Yes, we experienced that a couple of nights ago, was a bit rough on the night before we came in to Ensenada. We will be in SF tomorrow, and if am lucky to be staying on for 4 more nights to Vancouver.

:D

Everything and everyone has been wonderful so far!!

My husband and I were on this cruise as well and thoroughly enjoyed it. By far it was our best cruise with Princess. The food was great and the length was perfect (we usually do 7-day cruises).

I did notice a few buckets collecting water on various decks but it's really not the kind of thing that effects your vacation. It was more comical than anything else. The vessel creaking in rough weather was a little annoying when trying to sleep though.

While we loved the trip there were a couple things that bothered us:

1. Air conditioning in our room wasn't cold enough. We were sleeping without blankets and still sweating. The AC was looked at a couple times with no resolution.

2. If you're under 65... you might have a hard time finding activities. The age demographic is old, really old. The cruise really catered to them, so the number of "interesting" things on the patter was a lot lower than our previous cruises. Often we'd only find 2-3 things that we wanted to do on the entire patter for a day.

3. On the second-to-last day all but one pool was drained completely. They never refilled the pools and the one other pool was closed until about 3pm (the covered one). For whatever reason they waited to do some excessively noisy construction in the covered pool area until just after it was finally opened. The noise was deafening and spoiled our last swim of the cruise... it went on for over an hour until we finally gave up. I don't understand why they didn't do the work while the pool was closed.

My husband and I were on this cruise as well and thoroughly enjoyed it. By far it was our best cruise with Princess. The food was great and the length was perfect (we usually do 7-day cruises).

I did notice a few buckets collecting water on various decks but it's really not the kind of thing that effects your vacation. It was more comical than anything else. The vessel creaking in rough weather was a little annoying when trying to sleep though.

While we loved the trip there were a couple things that bothered us:

1. Air conditioning in our room wasn't cold enough. We were sleeping without blankets and still sweating. The AC was looked at a couple times with no resolution.

2. If you're under 65... you might have a hard time finding activities. The age demographic is old, really old. The cruise really catered to them, so the number of "interesting" things on the patter was a lot lower than our previous cruises. Often we'd only find 2-3 things that we wanted to do on the entire patter for a day.

3. On the second-to-last day all but one pool was drained completely. They never refilled the pools and the one other pool was closed until about 3pm (the covered one). For whatever reason they waited to do some excessively noisy construction in the covered pool area until just after it was finally opened. The noise was deafening and spoiled our last swim of the cruise... it went on for over an hour until we finally gave up. I don't understand why they didn't do the work while the pool was closed.

I've read comments saying the ship is fine, and others saying they don't go looking for trouble. However, the comments above and our experiences are what makes the Grand our least favorite ship.

We don't go looking for trouble, but when your toilet looses pressure loudly during the night on more than one occasion, and then overflows into your bathroom while you're not even in the cabin you have trouble. When you have to walk around wires and cables in the hallway on a daily basis on a 14 day cruise, that's no fun. When you can smell sewage in the hallway because all of the toilets in your area are being repaired, that's no fun. If the areas where water is being collected due to leaks are leaks in your cabin, that's trouble.

We love Princess, and we've been on many ships, but the Grand needs some serious work.

One thing we didn't have a problem with was the a.c. We had to have a technician come to adjust it, but it was fine after that, and I like a very cool cabin.

Edited by FritzG