Princess Alaska 2015

paddingtonbear

Hi

We are going to Alaska on a saturday Whittier > Vancouver in July 2015. The itinerary around this cruise is all set but the day before yesterday 2014 sailings on all Wednesday Princess Cruises had huge drops up to 40%. BUt all the saturday sailings are still stubbornly high.

We would like to get a cabin on the port side of the ship.

Are wednesday sailings more likely to be discounted every year?

Am I setting myself up for a very expensive cruise if we stick to a saturday departure?

Should I book early and fix a cabin or wait till the last minute?

We have an option for a US TA or a Canadian TA.

Hi

We are going to Alaska on a saturday Whittier > Vancouver in July 2015. The itinerary around this cruise is all set but the day before yesterday 2014 sailings on all Wednesday Princess Cruises had huge drops up to 40%. BUt all the saturday sailings are still stubbornly high.

We would like to get a cabin on the port side of the ship.

Are wednesday sailings more likely to be discounted every year?

Am I setting myself up for a very expensive cruise if we stick to a saturday departure?

Should I book early and fix a cabin or wait till the last minute?

We have an option for a US TA or a Canadian TA.

The part about the fare is your tolerance of what you p[aid now.

You don't say whether your doing a land portion as well. With a Saturday departure you usually can get away a weeks holiday plus a day or two extra. Wednesday you'll definitely need almost two weeks of holidays.

Wednesdays are already lower that a week end departure .

The part about the fare is your tolerance of what you p[aid now.

You don't say whether your doing a land portion as well. With a Saturday departure you usually can get away a weeks holiday plus a day or two extra. Wednesday you'll definitely need almost two weeks of holidays.

Wednesdays are already lower that a week end departure .

We are taking some time in Alaska and some in Canada. Time away isn't an issue. I am talking about 40% off as opposed to nothing off on the saturday fares. Do the saturday fares reduce ever? Or are the wednesday fares always better for reductions or more likely to be reduced?

I don't know if it is worth changing everything around for what may just be a 2014 abberation in fare reductions.

Hi Paddington bear - a fellow Aussie here - we too are planning an Alaska trip next year and have chosen the Coral (Wednesday departure) simply for the ship itself. From what I have been able to read on this forum a lot of people say that it is one of the better ships to do Alaska on due to the size and also the wrap around deck. Not too sure if this adds to your quandary or helps. At the moment Australian prices are similar to the US prices for the cruise. We can book via the US due to previous bookings made. I am waiting for some sort of a sale prior to booking the cruise. good luck with your planning - some of ours has been a nightmare trying to link everything in - we have made some minor sacrifices to make it work.

Hi Bizziecruzer

I have just discovered that in 2015 the Coral will only be sailing on wednesdays.

I have always planned on going on the Coral or Island and know all about them.

The Saturday sailing we were looking at is on the Star. Do you know anything about the Star?

It has almost 1000 cabins more than the Coral which is off putting for me.

I think I might have to throw our carefully worked out itinerary and completely change the trip to make a wednesday sailing. Has anyone else any views on this now that we know it will be the Star if we stick to the current Itinerary?

Yes, for working people, Saturday departures are typically more popular, but I've experienced price drops on Saturday departures in the past, too. In fact, a friend is doing a weekday Alaska sailing this summer and paying way more than we were going to pay when we had a Saturday departure booked. It all depends on the year, demand, ship, week, etc. Prices might come down a little next year since Princess will be back to having 4 ships doing Voyage of the Glaciers.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app