New Booking on Star to Alaska

trbarton

I have an existing booking on the Star in cat. BD on the Caribe deck and notice that with a new booking I can get a mini suite for $629 less than I have already paid. I am aware that this is for a new booking only. Any body know if I were to cancel my existing booking and rebook would I loose any $ but still come out ahead? I have purchased Princess Insurance if that makes a difference. I made my booking through a T/A.

Thanks!

Tom:)

With the cruise 23 days away, the penalty is 75% of the cruise fare paid.

The type of Princess insurance you have will determine how much of this penalty is recoverable if "cancel for any reason" is included.

Of course you would want to confirm, but I think the Princess insurance includes a cancel for any reason *future cruise credit* (75% credit for the non-refundable portion with the basic insurance and 100% credit for platinum level insurance). I would think you could then apply that credit to your upcoming cruise on the Island.

With the basic coverage, you'll need to do the math... Is getting about 81% of the cruise fare back (25% refund plus future cruise credit from insurance of 75% of 75%) worth the savings and a mini-suite to you? If you have the platinum level protection, then you should be all good (25% refund plus 75% future cruise credit).

(Edited to correct my math!)

Edited by derdejoh

FYI...I have the Platinum Level insurance and what I saw yesterday as a sale and emailed my T/A it's no longer available and thus Princess could not find anything. Perhaps I should have made a booking where they put the booking on a 24 hr hold and then let my agent sort things out.

Anybody canceled a cruise with the Platinum Level insurance and then rebooked to get a better offer? If so how did things work out and did you come out ahead with the price?

Thanks!

Tom:)

The only problem that I see is that you have to make a claim if you cancel for "any reason". That process takes a couple of weeks before BerkleyCare issues you an FCC. You'd have to pay in full for the new booking and hope that the FCC is issued before you sail. And, of course, you won't get back the price you paid for the original insurance...

Edited by RickEk