Santorini - In port until 10 pm

Kre8tiv1

We will be on the Norwegian Jade in Santorini the last week of May. We are docked from 1:30 - 10:00 pm. From what I've read, the best place to see the sunset is Oia. The sun is schedule to set at about 8:30 pm. Would we have time to catch a boat/bus back to the ship?

Also, I am very confused as to how to get to Oia. The more I read, the more confused I am :confused:! We want to spend time in Fira first, and then head to Oia (providing we go there last to see the sunset).

My questions...How would we get to Fira from the ship? How would we get to Oia from Fria? How would we get from Oia back to the ship?

Thank you!

Would expect you would be required to be back on board by 9:30. I don't think it would be advisable to try to get back onboard from Oia, in a timely manner given an 8:30 sunset.

We have observed the sunset is very interesting from just about anyplace on the rim of the old caldera. And it is also very interesting form the ship.

As to getting to and from Oia, there are many threads here explaining it very clearly. Taxi, bus, walk are the main options. There is also a boat that goes from the tender dock to Oia, and you come back on a bus.

..How would we get to Fira from the ship?

I agree with everything Bruce said. I think you would be cutting it was too close with an 8:30 sunset and a 10 pm departure. The sun sets in Fira too... :D ... I know it will be spectacular from there. I wish we had been in Santorini at sunset - magnificent, I'm sure.

The ship's tender boat will leave you at the bottom of the cliffs; you need to get tot the top by one of three ways (cable car, walk up steps, take donkey up steps), and then you will be in Fira.

Personally, I would advise you to go to Oia first and make your way back to Fira for sunset and in plenty of time to get your tender back to your ship. You might check out your own ship's excursions; there may be one that takes you directly to Oai first (this is what we did). Fabulous.

As Bruce said, feel free to read this Greece board and use the Search function. The info is here. :)

Have fun. Santorini is incredible

Do Oia first and Fira second or you may not get back in time for last tender.

The tenders in Santorini for all cruise lines are provided by the longshoremen of Santorini .

When you alight from the tender at Santorini at the base of the cliff you will find the boat service to Oia . Do Oia first and return by bus mid to late afternoon to Fira. Have dinner in one of the dreamy cliff top restaurants overlooking the caldera, and watch the sunset . Take the cable car down and tender back to your ship, noting the last tender time posted on your cruise boat .

You can walk down, but by that time of day the steps are thick with very smelly donkey landmines . NB: The donkeys stop at sunset .

The sun setting over the caldera from Fira at Santorini is one of lifes great travel experiences, as dramatic as the sunrise at Machu Picchu on the other side of the world. Enjoy .

Edited by kuldalai

Thanks everyone! Based on your recommendations, we will go to Oia first, then Fira.

From reading the other boards, it seems that Santorini Planet is the way to go for transport to Oia.

• 3 weeks later...

We will also be in Santorini from 1:00 PM to 10:00PM. If we opt for the boat/bus option do we have to wait until the boat fills before leaving the pier and if so would that be a long wait if we tried to be one of the first tenders off the ship? I would like to get to Oia before it gets mobbed to take pictures. If the boat sounds like the quickest way to get there are we better off pre-purchasing this? I wouldn't mind having it on my credit card rather than having to buy more euro before the trip.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 3 weeks later...

In response to your request on info related to transport to Oia, below is our recent experience

CAVEAT EMPTOR---SANTORINI PLANET---BOAT FIRA TO OIA THEN BUS RETURN

A warning to anyone thinking about booking the Santorini Planet transfer, boat to Oia then a return bus back to Fira.

Having a reservation & having paid your money in advance means absolutely nothing.

Over two months ago I made a reservation for two people for the 9:45AM transfer on June 12 and had pre-paid for the excursion.

My wife and I arrived via Windstar on 6/12/14, tendered to shore then walked over the Boatmen’s desk ( who actually operate the transfer). They told us that no Santorini Planet tours were being run on that day.

The Boatmen’s got Chimenta Gianluca Manfredi (from Santorini Planet) on the phone and we spoke.

He told me that the transfer runs only when a minimum of 15 people are booked.

I asked him, if he knew that the tour was not going to be run, why he didn’t send me an e-mail so that I could make alternate plans.

Mr. Manfredi gave me a lot of nonsense on the phone about why he couldn’t do.

However, thank goodness Josuf (the person at the Boatmen’s desk) couldn’t have been more helpful.

He called for us and arranged for a taxi friend to get us to Oia (for 15 Euro total) then this person arranged a return transfer back from Oia in the afternoon ( again at 15 Euro). Thank you Josuf!

As far as Mr. Manfredi, you should NOT promote yourself the way you do, accept people’s money in advance and then not deliver on your commitment. Shame on you.

To readers of this posting , again Caveat Emptor!