Getaway Motion

I know it's inherent with any cruise ship, but I feel like I'm reading a higher number of reviews for the Getaway mentioning that it was quite rocky or you that you could feel it moving a lot.

On the Allure it was like a parking lot, loved it. Carnival Liberty was a bit rockier (I understand the size impacts that...)

Anyway; anybody have an opinion on whether the GA is same, worse, or better based on average experience.

I'm not affected much but my GF can be a bit sensitive to motion sickness.

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I could feel the motion on Getaway significantly more than any other ship I've been on, and I'm not sensitive to it at all! That said, it was only when the ship was going fast (i.e. couldn't feel it at all between Nassau and coming back to Miami).

Getaway is considerably better than average. Very high GM. Not as high as Oasis, but still better than the typical cruise ship.

As a former tanker officer, i like seeing the stability stuff on here! Dont see GM often referenced on CC boards haha

Getaway is considerably better than average. Very high GM. Not as high as Oasis, but still better than the typical cruise ship.

Where do you find the GM for these ships? And while a high GM will affect the amplitude of motion, it also has an effect on the speed of the motion, so a high GM results in faster rolling, while a low GM results in slower, gradual rolling. Not to hijack thread, just interested where you got this info, would be interested myself.

Edited by chengkp75

Oh, I’m quite aware of the general aspects of metacentric height (GM). I suppose “stable” is an extremely relative term to most CC members here who don’t understand the dynamics involved. Some people prefer ships with a low GM and slower, gradual rolling, but I personally prefer a “stiff and snappy” roller with a high GM. The best example is probably the original Queen Mary and Normandie. QM had a low GM with long, deep rolls that could “roll the milk out of a cup of tea.” It’s pretty well known that Paul Gallico wrote “The Poseidon Adventure” after a particularly rough crossing on QM. Conversely, Normandie had a high GM with quick, snappy rolls that tended to thrash people and items around in bad weather. There are more than a few famous stories involving flying vases in some of Normandie’s higher end suites :eek: Getaway’s rolls are so quick that it feels more like a jerking/shuddering motion in wind waves than an actual roll. I haven’t had the opportunity to sail on Getaway in rough seas, but did so on Breakaway, and she managed to show considerably more restraint than Normandie’s violent rolls.

As far as finding out the GM for these ships, it’s just one of the many questions I try to ask some of the senior deck officers onboard. Whether it be during dinners, cocktail hours, Q&As or behind-the-scenes tours, most officers are usually more than happy to answer something a little bit different from the usual “how does the boat float?” and “is there a really long extension cord to shore?” questions :p

Edited by barnacle_boy

Oh, I’m quite aware of the general aspects of metacentric height (GM). I suppose “stable” is an extremely relative term to most CC members here who don’t understand the dynamics involved. Some people prefer ships with a low GM and slower, gradual rolling, but I personally prefer a “stiff and snappy” roller with a high GM. The best example is probably the original Queen Mary and Normandie. QM had a low GM with long, deep rolls that could “roll the milk out of a cup of tea.” It’s pretty well known that Paul Gallico wrote “The Poseidon Adventure” after a particularly rough crossing on QM. Conversely, Normandie had a high GM with quick, snappy rolls that tended to thrash people and items around in bad weather. There are more than a few famous stories involving flying vases in some of Normandie’s higher end suites :eek: Getaway’s rolls are so quick that it feels more like a jerking/shuddering motion in wind waves than an actual roll. I haven’t had the opportunity to sail on Getaway in rough seas, but did so on Breakaway, and she managed to show considerably more restraint than Normandie’s violent rolls.

As far as finding out the GM for these ships, it’s just one of the many questions I try to ask some of the senior deck officers onboard. Whether it be during dinners, cocktail hours, Q&As or behind-the-scenes tours, most officers are usually more than happy to answer something a little bit different from the usual “how does the boat float?” and “is there a really long extension cord to shore?” questions :p

Yeah, not sure which tends to generate more complaints, the long, slow rolls (like the old cargo ships with about 6" of GM that would hang over at the end of the roll, thinking about coming back), or the quick, short rolls.

Do you know how many sets of stabilizers BA/GA have, and whether there are anti-roll tanks as well? Some stabilizer motion, along with the transom sterns (should I say mountain sides?) can contribute to the shimmies.

And if the Normandie didn't have such a high GM, she probably would have rolled over sooner in NYC. An added benefit of going to today's medium speed diesel engines, rather than more efficient slow speed diesels, or the tall boilers like the Norway, is that you get a real nice, low center of gravity (in addition to the low overhead height, beneficial to passenger ship layout).

Let me add that it's somewhat impressive that deck officers can quote the ship's GM from memory. I know some who, just having finished running the stability program, couldn't tell you that, just "stresses are okay"!

Edited by chengkp75

I always get a kick out of the “old timer” cruisers who rant about how much more stable the older ships used to be compared to today’s cruise ships. Most of the old liners had GMs of around 1-2ft., far below what’s common today, and tended to roll with as much grace as drunks on the way home from the bar. Obviously, there’s more to comfort than just GM, but it’s certainly food for thought. I remember looking at some home movies someone shot on QM in the 50’s and thinking that you had to have a lot of courage to walk outside in heavy seas. Indeed, that moment when the ship considers whether or not to right herself or continue rolling is a bit unsettling, and I understand why Gallico was inspired to write that book!

Breakaway and Getaway both have 1 pair of Fincantieri-built stabilizers. It didn’t occur to me to ask about anti-roll tanks, I just assumed that given space constraints they would opt for a stabilizer-fin only solution. As I understand it, the only advantage anti-roll tanks have over the fins are that you need a flow of water over the fins for them to have an effect, but anti-roll tanks work just as well when the ship is stopped. I have a gut feeling that the shuddering I’ve felt on Epic has a lot to do with her enormous ducktail since her GM isn’t far off from Breakaway's (~3.5m vs. ~4m), but I’m not a naval architect and I don’t really know what to make of Epic overall considering how many changes were made to her design during construction. Maybe next time I’m onboard Getaway later this month I’ll ask how often they deploy the stabilizers.

The case of Normandie’s capsize in NYC is tragic in so many ways. Most tend to look at her through rose-tinted glasses, and I personally don’t consider her to be the greatest liner ever, but her loss easily ranks amongst the most heartbreaking. I sometimes wonder if, had they stepped aside to let Yourkevitch (her designer) flood her hull and settle her upright on the bottom, she could have been saved. I can’t imagine what it would have been like for him to have watched a bunch of clueless bureaucrats destroy his ship through utter incompetency.

Edited by barnacle_boy

I always get a kick out of the “old timer” cruisers who rant about how much more stable the older ships used to be compared to today’s cruise ships. Most of the old liners had GMs of around 1-2ft., far below what’s common today, and tended to roll with as much grace as drunks on the way home from the bar. Obviously, there’s more to comfort than just GM, but it’s certainly food for thought. I remember looking at some home movies someone shot on QM in the 50’s and thinking that you had to have a lot of courage to walk outside in heavy seas. Indeed, that moment where the ship considers whether or not to right herself or continue rolling is a bit unsettling, and I understand why Gallico was inspired to write that book!

Breakaway and Getaway both have 1 pair of Fincantieri-built stabilizers. It didn’t occur to me to ask about anti-roll tanks, I just assumed that given space constraints they would opt for a stabilizer-fin only solution. As I understand it, the only advantage anti-roll tanks have over the fins are that you need a flow of water over the fins for them to have an effect, but anti-roll tanks work just as well when the ship is stopped. I have a gut feeling that the shuddering I’ve felt on Epic has a lot to do with her enormous ducktail since her GM isn’t far off from Breakaway's (~3.5m vs. ~4m), but I’m not a naval architect and I don’t really know what to make of Epic overall considering how many changes were made to her design during construction. Maybe next time I’m onboard Getaway later this month I’ll ask how often they deploy the stabilizers.

The case of Normandie’s capsize in NYC is tragic in so many ways. Most tend to look at her through rose-tinted glasses, and I personally don’t consider her to be the greatest liner ever, but her loss easily ranks amongst the most heartbreaking. I sometimes wonder if, had they stepped aside to let Yourkevitch (her designer) to flood her hull and settle her upright on the bottom, she could have been saved. I can’t imagine what it would have been like for him to have watched a bunch of clueless bureaucrats destroy his ship through utter incompetency.

Actually, you can use two existing ballast tanks for anti-roll. You just install a propeller pump and a couple of hydraulic actuated butterfly valves, and the pump pushes water back and forth. Needless to say, its better with tall tanks than double bottoms for free surface. The Sky has two sets of fins (though she went 4 years with only 3 out of 4 (tore one off on a dock, when the minimum speed sensor didn't work), as well as roll tanks. Noticed that in some weather conditions, the stabilizers would work against each other, and sometimes the tanks would work against the fins. Needed constant tweeking.

I also wonder whether the clear, flat bottom around the pods tends to make for some interesting wave responses, as the Dawn (given she is bigger) shook more than the Sky.

Anyway, probably should let this get back to actual motion on the Getaway.