First Time on Grandeur. Experiencing Balcony Envy.

My first cruise on RCL is next week. The Grandeur to Bermuda. I'm SO excited because my DH and I seriously need this vacation. I've been on several other lines and have always had a balcony. But this time it's an extra vacation for us and so it was either book an ocean view or not go.

As it gets closer, I am experiencing some balcony envy, especially because I think Bermuda would be the perfect place to have a balcony. I KNOW we'll have a great time, but it's kind of hard to go back, you know? I imagine it would be hard to go from a suite to a regular balcony, an oceanview to an inside, etc.

Anyway, that's it. I plan to take tons of books and spend my time reading and relaxing, no matter where I have to do it!

It is sad to see someone going into a vacation already disappointed. I hope you can upgrade prior to the trip.

I don’t understand the “I can’t go back” statement that many make. We’ve gone from a suite on the Allure to a OV on the Monarch with absolutely no problem. Each cruise and each cabin selection is booked with different expectations

You even noted that this cruise for you was an OV or no cruise. I guess after this cruise you will know if you made the correct choice. There are some on CC who will only sail in a specific type of cabin and if they cannot get that type of cabin , would rather not sail at. You may fall into that category. It is a shame, but good for you to know for the future.

I hope you enjoy the cruse .

M

Cruisegirl, my post was more tongue-in-cheek. I'm certainly not going in disappointed. :) I'm very happy to be going. I DO wish we had a balcony, but that will not impact my ability to have a good time or enjoy my cruise. :D

Cruisegirl, my post was more tongue-in-cheek. I'm certainly not going in disappointed. :) I'm very happy to be going. I DO wish we had a balcony, but that will not impact my ability to have a good time or enjoy my cruise. :D

A few years ago we did an ocean view after years of balconies. We had a great time but as we were walking down the gangway, kiddingly DW says, "Don't ever do that again." Being a strong believer in there's truth in jest, I haven't booked anything without a balcony since. Happy wife, happy life. :D

Have fun

M

My first cruise on RCL is next week. The Grandeur to Bermuda. I'm SO excited because my DH and I seriously need this vacation. I've been on several other lines and have always had a balcony. But this time it's an extra vacation for us and so it was either book an ocean view or not go.

As it gets closer, I am experiencing some balcony envy, especially because I think Bermuda would be the perfect place to have a balcony. I KNOW we'll have a great time, but it's kind of hard to go back, you know? I imagine it would be hard to go from a suite to a regular balcony, an oceanview to an inside, etc.

Anyway, that's it. I plan to take tons of books and spend my time reading and relaxing, no matter where I have to do it!

One of the nice things about Bermuda is that you are there for a few nights, so you can enjoy the view of the port from the pool deck. Enjoy your cruise!

We will be on the same cruise and have an oceanview cabin. Our last cruise on the Jewel we had our first cabin and we enjoyed it. That being said I can not enjoy a balcony when it is $1,000 more than an ocean view. The Jewel was a great deal-only $100 diff. I think. So it is the cost factor for the most part for us. The Grandeur like other RC ships has a very nice Solarium and is a great place to read, play cards, etc. so hopefully you won't miss the balcony too much.

There is nothing special about Kings Wharf. I don't think you will miss not having a balcony. We faced the port itself so maybe the water view side was better. Not knocking it but I don't think you need to worry. Have fun!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is nothing special about Kings Wharf. I don't think you will miss not having a balcony. We faced the port itself so maybe the water view side was better. Not knocking it but I don't think you need to worry. Have fun!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

LOL> this is true. We faced the water when we were there, and had a view of part of the island and the water.

on this same cruise i had an interior room middle middle of the ship and loved it , very quiet , i spent maybe 4-6 hours total in the room awake that i remember. for me the deal was worth more than a balcony or a ocean view. in fact i like the darkness of no porthole.

Every ship I have been on, save Vision, I've had a balcony. Yet, Vision is rapidly becoming my favorite ship even though I only get an outside cabin.

Might have something to do with those 10 and 11 night itineraries. :D

I sooooo know what you're saying! We're doing Grandeur to Bermuda in July. Budget's tight with our first off to college (and holy cow, the expense of this senior year!!) But we really wanted some family bonding and could only afford an OV after always having done balconies. I've had the envy pangs from time to time, but I keep reminding myself the intent is relaxation and seeing BERMUDA! The ship is docked for so long maybe the balcony won't be as missed since there won't be several docks to savor by balcony view as during a Caribbean tour.

Please come back and let me/us know if it was the disappointment you fear. I always appreciate an honest opinion. (After all, I will have an extra 2 months to win the lottery) ;)

Having done Oasis-Enchantment before, I think it'll be fine. I rationalize the ocean view decision because 72% of the Oasis class staterooms have balconies and only 22% of the Grandeur staterooms have balconies. I will admit that there's some size shock. If you get used to the Windjammer Café being on Deck 16, you're 7 decks off on Vision class.

That being said, I share your fear. It's certainly a first-world problem, but when you add that to my fear of them not having honey-stung chicken or limes, there's a lot to worry about. :p

Edited by Shabot
fixing my grammar

My husband and I set sail on our Grandeur cruise to Bermuda exactly one year ago today. I've never had a balcony, so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing, but we never felt the lack of one. Since the ship is on the open ocean practically the whole time while at sea, and since there's the same fixed view the whole time while in port, it's not like you're going to miss a lot of scenery.

The window in our cabin was right behind the bed, so when we woke up in the morning, we could open the curtains and gaze out at the water without even getting out of bed! The Grandeur also has a lovely promenade deck that goes almost the whole way around. Most people on our cruise didn't seem to have discovered it, so it was almost like being on a private balcony when my husband and I would go out there to get some solitude and fresh air. We saw a lot of dolphins from there on several different occasions. More people were out there when we made our approach to the island, but it was not too crowded then either.

My husband and I will have our first ever balcony on our Coral Princess cruise to Alaska in 3 weeks. Ask me again after that experience what I think!

Edited by snowmaiden

We just got back yesterday from a Bermuda cruise on the Grandeur. Our last 3 cruises have been in aft Junior Suites so we were a little apprehensive about how we would make out with an oceanview cabin. This was a last minute, good price, extra cruise type of vacation.

WE LOVED IT! After the initial shock of the room size we realized that the room had plenty of storage, a loveseat for both of us to sit, and a great cabin attendant. I had read on these boards that the beds separated would give you more floor space and the feel of a larger space so we asked the attendant to do that. (after all, you can still "visit" one another) The other benefit was that you could walk right up to the window and look out. We were in Cabin 4024 and found it to be a great location for us. Just one floor up to the Promenade and out the door if we wanted an extra large balcony for a while. We thought we would miss the refrigerator, but we didn't---the attendant brought ice twice a day.

The only thing we didn't like about the room was the bathroom---so small! I'm not sure if it is the same size as the balcony room bathrooms, but I would assume they probably are on this size ship?

We found ourselves out and about more which was good. We normally stay to ourselves, but ended up meeting quite a few fellow cruisers and had a great time. The Grandeur has lots and lots of public places where you can find a nice place to relax, indoors and out.

We will definitely consider an oceanview again and be sure to price our next cruise both ways to determine if that balcony is really worth the extra dollars.

Have a great time on your Bermuda cruise!:)