Rock wall charge on Voyager?

Ok, then you guys are going to love this one. I'll turn this into a "what's RCI going to charge for/change next?" thread.

On another thread, the following was posted:

FYI - RCCI Duty Free Store, Liquor Consumption Fee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

My wife & I are going on the Rhapsody in a few weeks, and I read a variety of stories here about buying liquor in the duty free store, paying the consumption fee, and having it in your room.

There are a variety of stories on these boards, so I called RCCI to be sure..

The service rep gave me the name of the company that operates their duty free stores and on-board shops 'Starboard Cruise Services'.. I went to their website and sent an email.. They sent this response:

"As of the beginning of August there will no longer be the option of consuming in your room. The liquor will be delivered on your last day. However our rule was $9.50 per bottle to consume in your room. We do not have a listing of our assortment to give out. Thank you."

Steve, this was per my neighbor who was on the 9 day voyager, probably 2 sailings ago. She said that on 2 separate occasions she had to pay $5 for her 11 year old to climb the wall. She was POSITIVE about this.

Steve, this was per my neighbor who was on the 9 day voyager, probably 2 sailings ago. She said that on 2 separate occasions she had to pay $5 for her 11 year old to climb the wall. She was POSITIVE about this.

This was on RCCL website so if she paid for it, I would have her call RCCL and request the money back because they advertise it as being free.

---------------------------------------------------------

Whether it's your first time on a rock wall or if you're a seasoned climber, there are challenges for all levels of experience. We'll provide all of the equipment, including shoes, helmets and harnesses. All you need to do is bring a pair of socks and, of course, your sense of adventure.

For beginners, we offer one-on-one instruction by appointment at no charge, as well as beginner climbing sessions. For those who are more experienced, there are advanced climbing sessions, speed-climbing competitions and for teens, teen tournaments.

Rock climbing is free for all guests and reservations aren't necessary; just check your Cruise Compass and Daily Planner for hours. While rock climbing can be fun for kids and adults, climbers must be 6 years of age or older and minors must be accompanied by an adult. We also ask each climber to sign a waiver.

While we're on this topic, can anyone give any feedback on how busy the wall was (may be less busy of course if the charge sticks!!). Was it difficult to get on it - are reservations mandatory or could you just walk in sometimes and get on? Also, is everyone in agreement that the hours generally were limited,or is it really 24/7?

When we were on the Legend of the SEas in 1997 they did charge for the minature golf. I can't remember how much. Do they still charge???

There was no charge for mini golf as of May 2004 on the Voyager. I *believe* that is still the case.

Hi Everyone:

DH/I were on VOS from July 15 - 24 so let me inform you of your questions. Hope this helps...

Rock Wall ~ I climbed the wall and there was no charge. There are different levels based on "experience". This was my second climb on an RCI ship and I never had to pay a fee. The staff was great and the only requirement was socks/no bathing suits. I went early in the morning and there was no line and I was the only one. From the times I was back on the sports deck I never saw a line. I don't the wall is extremely popular. My experience was great and ringing that bell was wonderful. Of course I couldn't convince DH to try it...

Johnny Rockets ~ For a long period of time JR was not charging but there were issues with the teenagers. Many teens would order a lot of food, take a few bites and leave. On other occassions they would sit there for hours, eat and hang out and other passengers wanting to go there for lunch could not go. JR is not huge and space is limited. Due to this RCI started charging $3.95 a person. Shakes and sodas (even if you have the soda card) are extra. There might be another extra charge for a thing or two but off hand I don't remember. This is what I heard through the grape vine...

Ice Skating ~ No charge since I did that too and didn't land on my butt (thank goodness).

Voyager Dunes Mini Golf ~ Open 24 hours a day and free.

Hope I answered some of your questions.

C Ya!

There was originally a charge for both the rock climbing wall and for ice skating.

Just as with JR, the charge was for crowd control purposes. When it became apparent that crowd control was not an issue, the charge was dropped.

You can find (I'd imagine) a thousand posts on here condemning RC for tacking on extra charges...but not five (again, I'd imagine) mentioning that charges for things are actually taken off when they appear to be not necessary.

Johnny Rockets ~ Shakes and sodas (even if you have the soda card) are extra. There might be another extra charge for a thing or two but off hand I don't remember. This is what I heard through the grape vine...

One correction - I've been to JR's several times on 2 ships since they started charging the $3.95 'cover charge'. I always get a soda card/sticker, and have ALWAYS been able to use it to get a Coke with my lunch at JR's. I've ONLY been charged the $3.95 at lunch, and have NEVER been charged extra for a Coke WITH the soda card/sticker. They've ALWAYS looked at the sticker and given me a Coke just like anywhere else on the ship.

TrentS:

My DH did show his SeaPass card with the soda sticker on it and he was informed that it was not accepted at JR. This might be something new.. who knows. He ended up paying the $1.75 for a soda and a refill. I was there when he ordered a soda and remember the conversation that took place.

OK, got an "official" ha ha, email from RCCL. Its states that ALL rock walls are free of charge. I think I'll print it out and put it in my suitcase just in case. Now I am really wondering about my neighbors experience. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmm......

OK, got an "official" ha ha, email from RCCL. Its states that ALL rock walls are free of charge. I think I'll print it out and put it in my suitcase just in case. Now I am really wondering about my neighbors experience. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmm......

It also says it is free on RCCL website. Do a search for "rock climbing"

I would most definitely do that. It's beginning to sound as though my fears were unfounded. That's a good thing.

Have a great time on your cruise. You will have a blast.

TrentS:

My DH did show his SeaPass card with the soda sticker on it and he was informed that it was not accepted at JR. This might be something new.. who knows. He ended up paying the $1.75 for a soda and a refill. I was there when he ordered a soda and remember the conversation that took place.

I'm wondering - Did he order FOOD too, or JUST a soda? I've always gone in for food, paid the $3.95 "cover charge" for that, but never anything extra for a soda. I'm thinking maybe they're charging for sodas if you don't order food as well, but I've done it several times on 2 ships as recently as this spring and never been charged more than the $3.95 for the food AND Coke. :confused:

TrentS:

We sailed on the July 1st Voyager cruise and I had a soda card . All I did was show it and I got my coke for free no charge at all. Actually the kept trying to bring refills over without asking.

TrentS:

(beachchick here)

There's no nice way to say this: You were taken advantage of or the JR staff truly didn't know the facts. The soda card is valid at all dining and bar venues throughout the ship, except room service. We've heard many stories about pax being told "oh, that's not valid here." What you have to do is say, "yes, it is" and if there is any further argument simply ask to speak to the supervisor.

beachchick

(beachchick here)

There's no nice way to say this: You were taken advantage of or the JR staff truly didn't know the facts. The soda card is valid at all dining and bar venues throughout the ship, except room service. We've heard many stories about pax being told "oh, that's not valid here." What you have to do is say, "yes, it is" and if there is any further argument simply ask to speak to the supervisor.

beachchick

I am not so sure. When I was on the Voyager of the Seas I was also told that it wasn't accepted there as well. So I drank water. It was a long time ago that I sailed her but...

Ericknow32: That may be what they told you, but if you read the info (and what they list on the ship), it is incorrect. Many, many pax have reported being told "no" at all kinds of places throughout the ship. I don't know why it would matter (maybe fewer gratuities added to the check because you pay your 15% when you buy the sticker?). In any case, the soda sticker is valid throughout the ship, except for room service.

Sorry, but them telling you "no" on Voyager is roughly the same as asking RCI CS for consist answers.

Edited: Well, just for the heck of it, I checked on the RCI website and it doesn't specifically mention the specialty restaurants. However, the onboard info we got said it was good everywhere except for room service. We've never had a problem using them at any specialty restaurant. So I guess this is another area where there is some inconsistency. Frankly, I think it's absurd to sell a soda card that isn't valid throughout the entire ship. (Then again I think it's shooting themselves in the foot to do away with the $9.50 consumption fee to take a bottle from the liquor store back to your cabin.) OTOH, whoever said RCI is rational or logical? At this point, who knows what will happen.

beachchick

Hey Everyone:

Thanks for the feedback. Seems like my DH got ripped off at JR. We went in there for lunch since we had coupons to wave the $3.95 cover charge. I guess the person there was new at JR and didn't realize the "soda card" was accepted there. DH did ask about it and was informed that it was not valid there. Go figure... Next time we'll be more firm about getting the soda for free and check with the "soda guy" when we purchase the "soda card". Oh well what can ya do.. we still have a good lunch and a fantastic cruise! It's amazing how everyone had different experiences at JR. Shows how inconsistant things are.

Speaking of inconsistancy... DH likes to have a Manhattan before dinner every night so one night it was $5 the following night it was $7. DH checked into that and spoke to one of the bartenders. The following day it changed back to $5 and remained that way for the rest of the cruise.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Archived