Rock wall charge on Voyager?

I was just speaking with my neighbor who recently took the 9 day voyager cruise. She said that they charged her $5 a climb!! I was on the Majesty in January and the wall was free. Do they really charge on this ship?????

Last May on the VOS there was also a charge for the rock climbing wall. What was also odd was the few hours it was open. All of the RCCL brochures made it seem that this was something open 24/7 - we were lucky if it was open more than 4-5 hours a day, usually two hours at a time.

Oh, they had better not start charging for this now too. I finally gave up on the charge for Johnny Rockets and now this.

I was on Mariner of the Seas 12/03. I went to Johnny Rockets and everything was free except milkshakes. I have been hearing rumors that they charge a fee to get in and also you need to pay for your food. Is this true?

I was on Mariner of the Seas 12/03. I went to Johnny Rockets and everything was free except milkshakes. I have been hearing rumors that they charge a fee to get in and also you need to pay for your food. Is this true?
No, you only pay to get in. Once your in the food is free. But you still pay for the shakes and such.

I was just speaking with my neighbor who recently took the 9 day voyager cruise. She said that they charged her $5 a climb!! I was on the Majesty in January and the wall was free. Do they really charge on this ship?????

If they are then that's something very new! :confused:

Last May on the VOS there was also a charge for the rock climbing wall. What was also odd was the few hours it was open. All of the RCCL brochures made it seem that this was something open 24/7 - we were lucky if it was open more than 4-5 hours a day, usually two hours at a time.

:confused: When in May did this start? I was on the repo cruise (5/7--5/15) out of Miami to NJ, and there wasn't a charge. How soon after did they start this?

As i'm on the VOS this Sept. and would like to be aware if this is no longer free:(

If we assume that RKardos' neighbor and Karen are NOT hallucinating, then the conclusion that I draw is that RC is "testing the waters" to see if they can get away with this.

People who have experienced this need to WRITE to RC and PROTEST loudly, or they'll slip another one in. Yes, Eric, I agree. :(

Carol

How much does it cost to get in? Do they still do take-out orders? Would I have to pay in order to do a take-out order?

Think it was $3.95 pp...but didn't go while onboard (we have JR locally), so not certain.

How much does it cost to get in? Do they still do take-out orders? Would I have to pay in order to do a take-out order?
It is $3.95 per person. Take out orders are the same price. Plus there is a limit to the amount of food you can take out. I don't know what that limit is. But you can eat all you want if you dine in.

It is $3.95 per person. Take out orders are the same price. Plus there is a limit to the amount of food you can take out. I don't know what that limit is. But you can eat all you want if you dine in.

On the take out the $3.95 cover charge they do limit the amount of food that one can get.

On the rock climibing wall, I know that RCI started out charging back when the Voyager class came out but they stopped due to complaints. I guess we will have to see if Richard Fain is trying to build up the bottom line even more. To be honest it would not surprise me. I expect with the addition of the bungee trampoline that they are heading in this direction. Cruising is changing and some things are not for the better.

I might be cancelling my next cruise. I can't believe they are going to charge a fee for this stuff. Unbelievable!

Seems a bit drastic to cancel a cruise that you are spending $thousands on because of a $3.95 fee to eat in Johnny Rockets. :rolleyes:

I'm as opposed to them imposing charges for things that previously were free, as the next guy, but I think I would temper my reaction and find a more suitable way to protest than cancelling my cruise. As far as a fee for the rock wall, there was none when we were on Mariner in May and now I read of others who were on Voyager more recently and didn't get charged, so while I hesitate to question the veracity of the two posters who claimed that a fee was charged on their sailings, I have to think something is wrong with their claim.

If we assume that RKardos' neighbor and Karen are NOT hallucinating, then the conclusion that I draw is that RC is "testing the waters" to see if they can get away with this.

People who have experienced this need to WRITE to RC and PROTEST loudly, or they'll slip another one in. Yes, Eric, I agree. :(

Carol

I am looking at the Cruise Compass right now, and honestly I don't see a mention of the fee, (just a note to bring socks and no wet bathing suits allowed) but I am 99% sure we were charged one. I am trying to find the breakdown from our SeaPass card, but of course, I can't find it! Hubby can't remember what he had for dinner 3 nights ago, so he was useless in remembering :) .

We were the first cruise to Canada for the 04 season, so I wonder if that has something to do with it. Maybe people have since protested the fee, but that wouldn't explain the OP's neighbor being charged so recently.

Again, with or without the fee - we were more upset by the infrequent hours for the wall. On a port day, the wall was only open from 9-11am and then 5-7pm (pretty useless time with either dinner choice). On sea days the wall was only open from 9-12 and then 2-6. Last sign up for all times is 30 minutes before the wall closes.

My neighbor is a very precise woman, she stated that she had her son only go twice because of the fee. She was going on and on about how all the "extra" charges added up. Johnny Rockets, drinks, etc... I think I will print out the statement from the website and bring it with me, just in case. My kids and I are looking forward to this feature and I would hate to limit it because of cost. Still no response from RCL

I don't doubt that they are testing the water. If this charge does go into effect that will be the straw that broke the camels back.

RCCL is known for their activities that's what makes them great. If you have to pay for anything more than just food and a room what is the reason to cruise with them. There isn't one. If they start charging for the things that make RCCL special i.e. rock wall, ice skating, inline skating, putt putt, etc., what makes them so special anymore. Nothing. If they start charging for these little niceties that RCCL now has for free I will have no problem crossing over to another line.

This would totally tick me off. As it is I will not go to JR's unless I have my free coupons. Why pay for average food when you can get it free 1 deck down? Now if the rock wall has a fee, whats next? Ice skating, in-line skating, basketball rental?

Archived