RSVP Regal Princess Feb 8-15, 2015

Boytjie

We made it home on time and without any real problems. It is really, really cold here in DC at 16 degrees. It was a very nice cruise. The ship and the service were both fantastic. The food was OK, but nothing special. The buffet did have a wide selection, but I missed the great fruit that HAL always manages to have. And we signed up for next year on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

I always enjoy the RSVP February Caribbean cruise. The nice thing about the all gay cruises is that we do a pretty good job of entertaining ourselves! So for us, the Cruise Line activities tend not to be as important as they are for other cruisers.

I had some nit picky issues with the ship that were not very important overall to my enjoyment of the cruise. I think the public area deck arrangements have issues. The center top side deck especially was not well suited for our dances and ship wide gatherings. The raised area of what is basically a water fountain was the main "dance" area but it segregated the participants and certainly wasn't big enough to accommodate everyone that wanted to participate. I wish they would have incorporated the fountain into a flat deck so that the area could better serve both functions.

About the only consistent thing I will ding Princess on is the protean selections in their food offerings. They were consistently over cooked and literally difficult to swallow. I don't think I had one beef selection that couldn't pass for jerky. The safest bet was typically the fish if you can get it shortly after put on the line on the buffet or any time in the restaurant. It really made me wonder if they even used Rational Ovens or some other programmable brand which make meats and stuff almost impossible to mess up. Thought just about everybody used the programmable stuff these days. The Rotisserie Chicken was consistently good which are made in another type of programmable oven.

Chilled pre-made meat dishes were also a good bet. The rotisserie chicken when offered in the buffet was also consistently tasty and moist. Morning eggs were quite simply abused — really, a pile of fried eggs under a heat lamp on the buffet serving line? Whatever was over easy to start with ended up being over rock hard after 5 minutes.

Side dishes were edible but usually pretty pedestrian offerings. Nothing really stood out to where I wanted to go back for more. The chilled seasoned shrimp were tasty in the buffet. The breads were good. Pizza was passable. Hamburgers were about the best one can expect from frozen pre-made patties. Desserts were disappointing — edible and looked pretty but nothing that made me want to go back for more.

The specialty restaurants were good. Not stand out good but satisfying. Enjoyed going to the Fondue Restaurant with a group of friends.

Probably the stand out meal for me was the Surf and Turf in the main restaurant. The prawns were more like mini lobster tails and the petite fillet was done perfectly.

Coffee sucked everywhere. They just are not using very good beans. In the buffet it was teasingly weak — a stronger brew would have been a passable cup of diner coffee. The baristas in the up-charge coffee bars simply did not have good beans to work with so the taste was never pleasing for an up charge cup of a speciality coffee.

Duty free shopping was mediocre. Most luxury goods were at list price. "But it's Duty and Tax free!" was their standard response. Amazon would be a better buy across the board. Watches were 15% off list. Some jewelry items had a higher discount off of inflated list prices. The only good deal were cigarettes which were about $25 a carton but they only carried three or four brands.

Overall, I can't wait to get back on HAL next year.....

Great to meet some of you at the CC meet and greet. Thank you again Peter for setting this up, and hosting. Your the best.

Great cruise, and the people are the ones who make it. Wonderful to see and catch up with ole friends.

Ship was large, and somewhat hard to navigate at first.

I thought the food was alright, but not good, and not enjoyable. One night I had a salad. That's all I ate. The presentation of the cold soup in a daiquiri glass with a straw was bizarre. Also the seating for the dinning room was horrible. The theory was to fill up one dinning room at a time, however there was such a cluster that one found themselves up and and down staircases in a line that just wasn't that user friendly. Also not sure if the RSVP staff were all that helpful at the dinning room.

Also of note, was the amount of overt public displays of…well… sex, that were seen not only on the main dance floor, but late at night at the after hours club (club 6). That was a little off putting.

The parties were great, the dh's were fun, and it was a much older crowd that what has been before. Everyone was friendly and not much drama as years past. The entertainment was good, and enjoyable cruise.

Also of note, was the amount of overt public displays of…well… sex, that were seen not only on the main dance floor, but late at night at the after hours club (club 6). That was a little off putting.

Sex! Where? I wanna see!

Maybe they stopped when they saw me approach. <g>

I didn't see anything tawdry. But I realize sensibilities vary. Without going into excessive details, there are milder forms of fooling around that most gay guys equate with a friendly handshake.

Thanks for the kind words, Kevin. It was nice hanging with you on Deck 17 :)

Food is very subjective - I found it to be pretty damn good (except for the fried and poached eggs and egg benedict in the buffet.

The ship was big but I found it easy to navigate but cruise nut that I am, I studied the deck plans well beforehand. I had an issue finding friends on board that I knew were on board but did not run into until Day 5.

As for the dining room shuffle: on the bigger ships they have to have multiple dining rooms and then he issue is how to manage them. Remember our charters have a very different dynamic than a regular cruise (where one dining room is traditional fixed, two seating dining). The same issue was encountered on the Divina.

I did not see much hanky panky around the ship but that could be that I did not hang out very late at night. I did notice a few guys getting a bit too touchy-feely around the corner of the pizza place one night. I never made it to the top of Deck 19 and with no hot tubs in teh c/o areas I did not see a repeat of the hot tub shenanigans that happened on the Divina in broad day light.

Hot tubs! That reminds me. Major issue for me was that all the pools were ALL freezing! Hot tubs were OK — more social temperature though than therapeutic. About where one would draw their bath at, temperature wise.

Hot tub hankie-panky, if you saw it there were obviously not enough bubbles!

Seriously though, sensibilities do vary quite a bit. What flies in San Francisco falls flat in Omaha.

The hot tubs were rather on the cool side on the Regal.

On the Divina bubbles were unable to cover what was going on. The only time I used one of those hot tubs was very early one morning as the sun was rising - and I knew it had been drained and cleaned overnight.

I assume all hot tubs are filthy. Advantage of owning your own is it is mostly your own filth! I always shower after using one. It is where having a pool at a decent temperature helps. I tried really hard to do a pool plunge after using one of the deck hot tubs. I got up to my middle but just couldn't do it.

Towards the end of the cruise all thermal spa pools get pretty bad. But what are you going to do? Dirt is filthy too yet I still walk around in it barefoot. And I take solace in the studies that show people that live on farms are healthier because exposure to environmental pathogens strengthens the immune system. At least that is what I tell myself ....

Was there a bowl of those crunchie noodles within reaching distance of the hot tubs?

I am sure Helen Holy did a fantastic job, how was the rest of the entertainment?

Was the Piazza used for any entertainment?

Bertha is very curious as to all aspects of the trip. I am a Princess cruiser, but found the Royal (Regal's sister) just missing something....and prefer the Grans Class ships and Coral class much more.

More reviews paleeze.

Was there a bowl of those crunchie noodles within reaching distance of the hot tubs?

I am sure Helen Holy did a fantastic job, how was the rest of the entertainment?

Was the Piazza used for any entertainment?

Bertha is very curious as to all aspects of the trip. I am a Princess cruiser, but found the Royal (Regal's sister) just missing something....and prefer the Grans Class ships and Coral class much more.

More reviews paleeze.

Helen Holy was as wonderful, and hilarious, as ever. The bad part is that the theater holds less than 1/3 of the passengers, so seating was at a premium. They did simulcast the final BINGO for those who just wanted to watch. There was also 701 club and Paul J Williams doing Password. All very crowded, but in a small venue as his request.

The rest of the entertainment was OK. This was my first time seeing Charo and I enjoyed it, but her music was painfully loud. Ann Hampton Callaway was very good as she did one unexpected afternoon show before getting off in Miami. The cast shows were fun too, with one being an amazing production. I wish Amy would sing more and talk less, but she was her usual self, though not as loose as she could be when confined to the Crows Nest. For my taste, there were too many drag queens. But I know others love that much more than I do. The only real bomb we saw was The Dirty Game Show, which was dreadful.

Edited by Darrell6t

I thought the overall experience was great. :) There were a lot of people on the ship and therefore you could go the entire cruise and each day meet someone new but that was not a problem for me. I rather found it keep things interesting and lively. Overall, I thought the passengers were friendly and the cruise and RSVP staff helpful.

I generally cruise on Celebrity and found that the quality of the food on this ship was good but not great. I suppose I don't have high expectations for cruise line food unless I am in a specialty restaurant. I would agree that the coffee was weak. Since I only eat fish, I didn't have problems with what I was served or got off the buffet. There was a lot of variety in terms of vegetables and that suited me well also.

I only saw one instance of friskiness :p and that was when I toured the Enclave the first night. I decided that I would not purchase the package since I was not looking for a bath house experience. Other than that there were some roaming hands on the dance floors but I was more of an observer than a participant or victim. :rolleyes: I didn't cruise around the ship late at night and that, I understand, I when all the real action went on.

I would definitely recommend this to friends and would consider a future cruise experience with RSVP. Since it was my first with them I was a little shy and now I know better how to maneuver the parties and make the most out of them. I found the entertainment better than what I have experienced on str8 cruises and the RSVP parties were lively and upbeat.

One last note: the Cruise Critic Meet and Greet was a great event for me. Thanks for setting it up and thanks for connecting this solo traveler with a number of other great people.

I think the fact there are so few postings indicates that generally the cruise was enjoyed by the majority. Those who commented unfavorably, I hope when you reach the promised? land, you are happy or you may be sent back home.) Is anything "perfect"?

This was my second RSVP and all gay cruise and I would not have been back if I had not enjoyed the first in 2014. No question, if you don't have a sense of humor and are a prude, stay home. That brings to mind the lack of reaction of the man who sat beside me during the Saturday day of Bingo.....during the entire time, never did he crack a smile or utter a laugh. I hope he silently enjoyed Holy Helen as much as I did.

I have a few comments, ....first, the evening dinner seating was cumbersome....I don't care for open seating.....far too much time wasted in waiting; secondly, the Regal Princess is a very beautiful vessel as was the MSC Divina; the entertainment was very good and I think RSVP carry forth an excellent presentation; They make an attempt to provide a variety and are very successful in doing so. Kudos!

Edited by ahappigui

They haven't had traditional seating at dinner on RSVP cruises for years; our cruise's dining patterns are just so unpredictable that it won't work and there are too many shows and parties to go on to tie yourself down to the same time every night.

Our experinece with getting seated for dinner wasn't that bad at all; we may have waited a maximum of 10 minutes one night. The first night there was a bit of confusion about which dining room was full and which one would open next but it seemed to have sorted itself out quickly.

Well, this was my 2nd RSVP cruise and I have to say it was far better than last year's on MSC. I made many more friends on this cruise than I did last year - probably because I was more relaxed this time. Yes, the ship was large but I found it simple to navigate. My only complain would be the elevators and the lack of public restrooms. Also I did not see many trash cans around the ship and whenever I had something to throw away, I had to just put it on a table because there was not trash receptacle.

Traveling as a Single Cruiser can be a bit intimidating and I have to say that I felt more comfortable on this cruise than I do in any gay bar in the USA on a Friday or Saturday night! It just seemed to me that most people were very friendly on this cruise and regardless of your gay "status" (Muscle, Bear, Twink, Buff, Etc.) everyone was being friendly with each other. This was very refreshing for me and as a result I met some awesome people.

Additionally, I am happy to say that the "Love Boat" has lived up to its namesake! I met the most amazing man on board and our romance is continuing post-cruise. I totally was not expecting to meet someone who would capture my heart, but as they say... "when you least expect it!" So, for me this cruise ended up being extra special as I met an amazing man and we are both equally enamored with each other!!

The entertainment offerings we excellent as always and I must say I loved the variety. A couple of my favorites were Khris Francis (Hysterical!), Anne Steele and Nate Buccerieie, Bob The Drag Queen & Anne Hampton Callaway. Also the shipboard shows were great!

Food: I found the variety to be great and generally it was good. Not Amazing, but way better than the MSC Divina last year. So, no complaints from me.

Additionally, I am happy to say that the "Love Boat" has lived up to its namesake! I met the most amazing man on board and our romance is continuing post-cruise. I totally was not expecting to meet someone who would capture my heart, but as they say... "when you least expect it!" So, for me this cruise ended up being extra special as I met an amazing man and we are both equally enamored with each other!!

Awwww, that is so nice! :)

• 2 weeks later...
They haven't had traditional seating at dinner on RSVP cruises for years; our cruise's dining patterns are just so unpredictable that it won't work and there are too many shows and parties to go on to tie yourself down to the same time every night.

The problem was not with open seating, it is how they handled it. The premise was to fill one dinning room, and move to the next. Which would of worked, if staff was available to direct groups. So often, one found themselves up and down staircases, trying to figure out what dining room was open, and where to go. That is where the problem came in. One night, we had to cross the entire ship to go to one of the dining rooms.. which incidentally was probably the best one I was at.

On Hal ships (which the RSVP cruise is so used to), there is a center staircase, in the dining room, which allows people to be seated on many different levels.

The ships with multiple main dining rooms are a bit of a pain. And it is even worse when you can't get from one to another without using stairs or an elevator. And since we ate about the same time every day, we ended up eating in the same dining room every day rather than experience them all at least once. The arrangement on HAL ships is far easier for passengers, and probably for the staff too.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI for those who were on the 2015 Carib Cruise - sad to report that performer Cashetta passed away in her sleep Sunday night. She had been performing for the winter in Puerto Vallarta. Terrible loss. Great talent. She will be missed.