Question Before I Book

TAC1582

My wife and I have been on one cruise before and are considering a second next summer. But before we commit my wife had one concern. On our first cruise (HAL Ryndam Vancouver to Anchorage) all was fine but on the last day we found the seas to be a bit rough and my wife was pretty much out of commission for the day with sea sickness (I was a little unsteady, but could otherwise function). This was the only day of the the cruise we were in the open ocean and were glad the rest of cruise was in protected waters.

The cruise we are considering is Istanbul to Rome with stops in three Greek islands, Sicily, Amalfi, Sorento, and Capri in late April/early May. What are people's experience with this type of cruise with regard rough seas?

We had the great luck to cruise a similar route a few years ago at the end of April-first week of May. Barcelona to Venice, so we covered some of the same seas. The weather was so gorgeous, we spent too much time in Taormina trying on bathing suits because we hadn't thought to bring them so early in the season! The seas were like glass the entire time, however, we did hear from friends that stayed on for another week that the weather changed towards Greece. But no reports of choppy water.

However, as a student, I sailed in a 'tub' from Athens to Mykonos in the middle of the summer on a very choppy day...people were hanging over the railings. You never know!

It's the luck of the draw. You could get rough weather overnight which might cause your wife to be sick the next day. It could also be rough for the whole cruise. Choosing a larger ship might also might the sickness less.

Edited by Kamloops50

The seas can be rough no matter where you sail ,a storm can pop up etc...Mid-ship cabins are the best to book and I always take bonine while on a cruise. I start taking it 2 nights prior and take it every night of the cruise.I have no drowsiness in the morning. What ever method you use the key is prevention.

Edited by kathy9

The seas can be rough no matter where you sail ,a storm can pop up etc...Mid-ship cabins are the best to book and I always take bonine while on a cruise. I start taking it 2 nights prior and take it every night of the cruise.I have no drowsiness in the morning. What ever method you use the key is prevention.

Kathy9 is correct. Booking a midship cabin would be a good plan for you.

I am fortunate enough to be a good sailor but my mother suffers terribly from seasickness so I know how unpleasant it can be. Apart from medication, green apples and ginger also help.

Don't be put off booking a lovely cruise though because there is every possibility that the sea will be as smooth as silk when you sail.

I have also found the Azamara captains during their daily announcements are much more proactive in telling you whether "now might be the time to start taking medication".

Azamara also has crystallised ginger sweets as well as pills at guest relations should you either want to avoid or supplement medication.

The worst rock I have had is recently in the Caribbean on Celebrity Reflection - far more movement than on either Azamara ships so as others say, choose your cabin wisely, take precautions and be ready for it on any cruiseline - oh and don't think about it, it can be psychosomatic

Very very true. I am a huge believer in Bonine too and have never been seasick while taking it (and had some pretty rocky seas). But don't wait to take medication until you start to have bad seas or until you feel ill...usually too late by that time. The trick is to start the meds ahead of time and I too start a day early and take Bonine every evening of the cruise with absolutely no side effects.

So sorry about your wife's mal de mer! Our 1st AZ cruise was Rome to Athens via Egypt, Israel, Cyprus, Turkey & some Greek islands. My poor dad-in-law succumbed at one point, the onboard medics were paid a visit, and the pill he rec'd made him sleep like a baby! After that he was once again a happy camper. I mean, sailor.

Very very true. I am a huge believer in Bonine too and have never been seasick while taking it (and had some pretty rocky seas). But don't wait to take medication until you start to have bad seas or until you feel ill...usually too late by that time. The trick is to start the meds ahead of time and I too start a day early and take Bonine every evening of the cruise with absolutely no side effects.

I have never come accross Bonine. Can one get it in the U.K.? Another important question is - can one drink alcohol when one is taking it?!

Rather than take meds that can cause drowsiness, I use sea bands. They work Ike a charm for me at all times when I might get motion sickness.....ships, cars, buses. They are available at pharmacies. I never sail without them!

From Web MD Bonine

Meclizine is an antihistamine that is used to prevent and treat nausea, vomiting, and dizziness caused by motion sickness. It may also be used to reduce dizziness and loss of balance (vertigo) caused by inner ear problems.

It does say to avoid alcohol when taking and I don't drink......I do take it right before I go to sleep so I don't think you should have an issue with that. I do not like Dramamine because that does make me feel drowsy all day.

Kathy

I take Bonine and have drank moderately (wine at dinner) without any complications but everyone is different. For me the Patch and drinking wine at dinner did not mix well.

Alaska (Seattle to Seattle) was the roughest seas I have experienced with 27 feet seas. Our Mediterranean cruise on the Quest was from Rome to Athens and was very smooth. DH and I remarked that you hardly knew that you were moving. But, weather and storms can effect any sailing and make a normally calm cruise into a roller coaster.

Thanks for all the replies. We have decided to take the cruise. I hope it hasn't sold out in the week we took to decide. Hopefully our TA will get on it tomorrow. I certainly appreciate that any cruise can suffer from rough seas or be blessed with calm water, but I figure that some cruises are more prone to trouble than others. Wasn't sure how an Istanbul to Rome cruise in May might rank on that probability scale.

We found this itinerary attractive as the Greek islands and Italy are high on our list of places we want to visit, especially Santorini and the Amalfi coast (my wife's mother was an Army nurse in Naples during WWII and enjoyed her visits back there). This cruise has three days around Amalfi and three Greek Islands. Plus there are two sea days. A lot of Med cruises have a port every day and I worry that might get exhausting. This would be our first AZ cruise and I look forward to enjoying the ship on the sea days. Also it seems these ports lend themselves well to shore excursions. Other places we will go (Florence, Rome, Venice, etc...) will require more than a day or two. After things get booked I'm sure I'll have more questions. TIA