?? about binoculars

Mytime2014

I found a pair of Bausch and Lomb 10x42 binoculars in the closet - are they worth taking to Alaska? They are old, but if they are the ones my ex bought, have probably been used once. If they are any good - should I get them cleaned or anything?

In general a 10 x 42 pair of binoculars would be fine for a cruise, however:

1. If they are physically large or heavy they might not be the best packing choice.

2. Try them out at home to see if you can handle them without your hands shaking. "10" is about the maximum magnification people can handle without a tripod. My hands shake enough that a 10 can sometimes be unusable.

They shouldn't need anything other than optical cleaner and a appropriate cloth on the lenses - just like a good camera. Don't use just anything, as you could damage coatings on the lenses. If the adjustments are frozen up, take them to a pro.

Thanks - They are kind of heavy and I can tell I'd probably need to use elbows on the rail after more than a few minutes. I'll probably take them if the suitcase isn't too heavy. The budget doesn't allow for a lighter pair and its obvious I wouldn't need them after the trip....

My best advice...begin using the right now! Look out the windows. Check out the moon and stars. Go someplace to look at birds if you don't have frequent visitors to your yard. Use them, use them, use them. Look at anything and everything...we'll, except your neighbors;). If they aren't second nature before your cruise, you probably won't enjoy using them on the cruise.

Personally I find binoculars very hard to us and not worth taking when cruising. They are almost impossible to use from a moving ship and even on a solid surface need a very steady hand. I have used the zoom on my video camera a few times for wildlife and even that is tough.

I think binoculars are a must on every cruise, especially in Alaska. I remember how excited I was to see bald eagles on my first cruise to Alaska. The naturalist told us to look for golf balls in the trees. Little did I know that we'd be able to see eagles a lot closer on top of telephone poles when we got to town.

It depends on whether your binoculars are waterproof or not. We got soaked when we were on an Alaska cruise. But our waterproof binoculars served us well. It is a must. We didn't spend too much on our binoculars. But do need to get a decent pair so you can use on the moving ship. We got some VISTA binoculars for everyone in the family.

• 2 weeks later...

We invested in a pair of nikon 10x50 waterproof trailblazer binoculars on our first trip to Alaska. when we went to traitors cove when the salmon were running in early september, I was using my binoculars. There were 22 bears that came to the river to get salmon for either themselves or their bear cubs. The highlight of my trip was watching these bears get the salmon and take the salmon back to the cubs (hiding in the bushes). It was so close up with my binoc's. However, I about tossed my cookies when the mama bear decided to eat the salmon right there....within 2 feet from me, (viewing through my binoculars). But still binoculars brought everything within touching reach! Going end of May to alaska for the fourth time and the binoculars were the first thing I packed!