Cape Liberty: Sightseeing, Park & Cruise options w/out breaking the bank

Hello,

We are a family of 5 with kids ages 12, 10, & 8. This will be their first cruise and they are quite excited about it!

We are booked on Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas for a 9-night Bermuda/Caribbean cruise departing Thursday, 7/31/14.

We live in Lancaster, PA and plan to drive and park (rather than taking the train or harrassing family members to drop us off & pick us up). We are considering arriving 1 day early to do sightseeing in Manhattan.

We are looking for Park & Cruise options that will minimize 9 night parking cost, and also give us access to Manhattan for sightseeing the day before the cruise departs.

Any advice to guide our planning is very much appreciated! Thank you!

You could stay on Staten Island, the Hilton offers both park and ride, a shuttle to the pier and a shuttle to the Staten Island ferry. You'll see the Statue of Liberty from the ferry. It's also convenient to ground zero.

The related Hampton Inn offers the same amenities.

Edited by sitraveler
added info

Thanks for the replies!

I was able to make a reservation with the Hilton Garden Inn on Staten Island using the "Park/Stay/Cruise" rate. (When I talked to the Hampton Inn on Staten Island, they said they no longer offer a cruise/park package.)

Ours is a 9 day cruise and we will tack on an extra day at the beginning for NYC sightseeing. Fortunately, the Hilton Garden Inn does not limit included parking to any number of days, so there is no extra charge for exceeding 7 nights.

Thanks for the replies!

I was able to make a reservation with the Hilton Garden Inn on Staten Island using the "Park/Stay/Cruise" rate. (When I talked to the Hampton Inn on Staten Island, they said they no longer offer a cruise/park package.)

Ours is a 9 day cruise and we will tack on an extra day at the beginning for NYC sightseeing. Fortunately, the Hilton Garden Inn does not limit included parking to any number of days, so there is no extra charge for exceeding 7 nights.

The person you spoke to at the Hampton Inn may have been misinformed. This was just posted today:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42665653&postcount=1387

Check trinityreservations.com. I used them to book a room this coming Nov. at the Ramada Plaza. The cost is $197.00 total, and it includes 21 free days of parking. It also includes free shuttles to the airport and to the port. The free shuttle to the port is for up to 4 people. i don't know how they would treat the 5th person in your group, but perhaps you could call. Breakfast is not included, but is available at the hotel. I'm not sure how easy it would be to get to Manhattan. Perhaps the hotel could help.

The site has other hotels too, but none provide free shuttles to the port. you'd have to book your own transportation for those. I hope this helps.

From California. We want to see some of the city for a couple of days prior to RCCL out of Cape Liberty. So what would you do? Which airport? hotel area.?Day tours.?

Any suggestions for a fun interesting pre cruise

Have you been here before? Dates? # of people?? Budget??

If you have a couple days and the budget, stay in NYC....we can get you back & forth to the pier...not that it will be cheap, but if you have multiple days, and want to tour around Manhattan, you may as well spend the extra money and save time NOT hauling yourself around between NY and NJ.

You can fly into EWR and take this bus into NYC....

http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp

and then cab it to your hotel.

Getting BACK to Cape Liberty, book a car service such as http://www.dial7.com or http://www.carmellimo.com

A cab will basically charge whatever they want, plus round trip tolls....they can't pick up a fare in NJ.

Then you can get a cab or shared van at CL back to EWR to fly home....( Leave the terminal and follow the signs to the taxi dispatcher.....) Or take the cruise line bus back if you want...

That's a start, if you give us more info we can help better

Maybe you want to do a HoHo (hop on, hop off) tour around NYC, or go to the Statue of Liberty...or the newly opened/dedicated http://www.911memorial.org/ (it's being dedicated this morning....)

Edited by megr1125

For teach_n_tax - your main issue is finding accommodations for 5 people. The choices are limited. You have received good suggestions, but you have to be sure the hotels can accommodate 5 people.

To minimize your expenses, I would consider driving in on Wed and parking your car at Journal Square or Grove Street in Jersey City. Take Path in and out of the city to do your sightseeing. Book Hampton Inn on Staten Island (they have rooms for 5 and should be booked immediately if still available) and use their free parking and port shuttle option. At the end of the day, pick up your car and drive to Staten Island.

From a timing perspective it will take you at least an hour to get to downtown Manhattan and 1 1/2 hours to midtown Manhattan if you start from Staten Island. The hotel does offer a free shuttle to the ferry terminal, but at their convenience, not yours. Return pickup works the same. You can drive and park at the ferry terminal, but that adds another layer of complexity.

For teach_n_tax - your main issue is finding accommodations for 5 people. The choices are limited. You have received good suggestions, but you have to be sure the hotels can accommodate 5 people.

To minimize your expenses, I would consider driving in on Wed and parking your car at Journal Square or Grove Street in Jersey City. Take Path in and out of the city to do your sightseeing. Book Hampton Inn on Staten Island (they have rooms for 5 and should be booked immediately if still available) and use their free parking and port shuttle option. At the end of the day, pick up your car and drive to Staten Island.

From a timing perspective it will take you at least an hour to get to downtown Manhattan and 1 1/2 hours to midtown Manhattan if you start from Staten Island. The hotel does offer a free shuttle to the ferry terminal, but at their convenience, not yours. Return pickup works the same. You can drive and park at the ferry terminal, but that adds another layer of complexity.

Are you back??? Or in Europe??

HI!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I just booked Hilton for September 24th, $199 stay and cruise package.

Hampton had nothing available. I had to call , couldn't find on website

1 718 477 1600 I think is Hampton, but they made Hilton reservation. Very friendly

Did you consider Trinityreservations for $208 tax included for up to 4 people with parking and cruiseport transportation at the Ramada? You're coming from Rhode Island, so getting to Staten Island is 20-30 minutes longer each way plus a $13 bridge toll and more turnpike toll.