Help hotel in Seattle

Mare10

We will be flying in the morning before our cruise to Alaska. It will be 5 of us.... myself, DH, DD, and 2 grandsons. (11 and 14) Fortunately it's not til June of 15 but I like to plan ahead!

I'm assuming the main things we should try and see are Pikes Market and the Space Needle. Any suggestions for a hotel that would be convenient to both since we're limited on time?

Thank you.... I appreciate whatever input you may have!

There are hundreds of hotels in Seattle.... where to stay depends on your budget, room requirements, and mobility.

if you're on a budget, stay nr SeaTac airport. Most airport hotels provide free shuttles to/from the airport. From the airport you can ride the Light Rail into town for $3pp each way, 40 minutes.

Staying downtwon is definitely more convenient for sightseeing but hotels are pricey. Seattle has all the major hotel chains ... do you have points to use? Seattle isn't big ; if you stay nr the Seattle Center you can get downtown in 5 minutes via the monorail. Or vice versa. A taix will run about $15-$20. Or you can stay on Lake Union and ride the streetcar. ( some hotels provide free shuttles to a few major tourist destinations ie Silver Cloud).

Best to find a hotel using expedia or similar site. Find a few hotels that meet your budget and needs, then ask for feedback on your shortlist.

We are doing the same deal June 2015 I am looking on trip advisor for hotels I am going to wait until Sept 2014 to book our hotel . The Hilton looks nice . The inn at the pikes market is nice but a little high for 1 night . we will be staying 1 night after the cruise also to see Seattle also .

There are hundreds of hotels in Seattle.... where to stay depends on your budget, room requirements, and mobility.

if you're on a budget, stay nr SeaTac airport. Most airport hotels provide free shuttles to/from the airport. From the airport you can ride the Light Rail into town for $3pp each way, 40 minutes.

Staying downtwon is definitely more convenient for sightseeing but hotels are pricey. Seattle has all the major hotel chains ... do you have points to use? Seattle isn't big ; if you stay nr the Seattle Center you can get downtown in 5 minutes via the monorail. Or vice versa. A taix will run about $15-$20. Or you can stay on Lake Union and ride the streetcar. ( some hotels provide free shuttles to a few major tourist destinations ie Silver Cloud).

Best to find a hotel using expedia or similar site. Find a few hotels that meet your budget and needs, then ask for feedback on your shortlist.

I'm thinking since we're only there for part of Saturday for sight seeing we will want go more for location than the budget. We know the kids will want to see the Space Needle and I'm assuming Pikes Marketplace as well. Looks like prices are better near the Space Needle but we need to easily get to the Marketplace.

I'm checking the Inn at the Marketplace etc. Or if we stay near the Space Needle... is it hard to get to the Marketplace from there? We're all mobile but will be a little short on time!

Thank you!

if you stay nr the Space needle/Seattle Center, you could ride the monorail downtown. It only stops at Westlake Center; takes less than 5 minutes. Westlake Center is at 4th and Pike/Pine so the Market is only a 2 block walk away.

The waterfront is just below the Market, and the new feris wheel is close by also.

There are other places to view Seattle besides the Space Needle. Check out these 2 tourist info sites for other info:

http://www.seattle.gov/visiting/default.htm

http://www.visitseattle.org/Home.aspx

My wife and I are looking at the same type situation this year. We're cruising on 06/24 , flying in on 06/23 in the late afternoon. Here's what we decided to do to try to see both places.

We arrive 5:35 pm. Booked one night at Hampton Inn - downtown. Will taxi or towncar to the hotel from airport. Space Needle is approx. 10 min walk. Have a 7:45 dinner reservation at the Sky City restaurant on top of the Needle.

We booked room using AARP rate which includes late checkout by 2:00 pm. Next morning we'll get up early , walk the 10 mins back to Space Needle and catch the monorail to the Pikes market Area , explore for a couple or three hours and then monorail and walk back to hotel where we'll check-out and taxi/shuttle to cruise pier.

My wife and I are looking at the same type situation this year. We're cruising on 06/24 , flying in on 06/23 in the late afternoon. Here's what we decided to do to try to see both places.

We arrive 5:35 pm. Booked one night at Hampton Inn - downtown. Will taxi or towncar to the hotel from airport. Space Needle is approx. 10 min walk. Have a 7:45 dinner reservation at the Sky City restaurant on top of the Needle.

We booked room using AARP rate which includes late checkout by 2:00 pm. Next morning we'll get up early , walk the 10 mins back to Space Needle and catch the monorail to the Pikes market Area , explore for a couple or three hours and then monorail and walk back to hotel where we'll check-out and taxi/shuttle to cruise pier.

I really appreciate you sharing your plans! It's all overwhelming with so many hotels to choose from in Seattle. I'm glad I have plenty of time to figure this out. Thanks again!

Marilyn

The Hampton might be a good choice for you. Even tho it's close to the Seattle Center it's also a residential area so there's a grocery store next door, restaurants, etc. Plus it's convenient to the Seattle Center and monorail to downtown, or, catch a cab for under $15.

There's a Holiday Inn xpress around that area as well. And a Quality Inn ( it's older but has been renovated)

I've read positive comments about the Maxwell on this forum and the Alaska forum from folks who stayed there pre or post cruise. Same with the Hampton Inn. Either will be good so maybe go with whichever has the best rate.

To find those past comments, just go to each forum and in the SEARCH box, type maxwell.

That sounds pretty do-able--maybe a little tight on the part between the airport and the Space Needle for dinner, but if your flight or your luggage is late, you can probably call them and move your reservation later.

Getting to the Market early is good. Consider very early--especially since you'll still be running on east coast time! You can get breakfast (and a great view) at Lowell's starting at 7 am. Then you can walk around, watch the Market waking up and getting ready for the day, do a little shopping, and be on your way back to your hotel by the time the hordes descend.

We will be flying in the morning before our cruise to Alaska. It will be 5 of us.... myself, DH, DD, and 2 grandsons. (11 and 14) Fortunately it's not til June of 15 but I like to plan ahead!

I'm assuming the main things we should try and see are Pikes Market and the Space Needle. Any suggestions for a hotel that would be convenient to both since we're limited on time?

Thank you.... I appreciate whatever input you may have!

Silver Cloud Hotels, Stadium, right next door to the 2 stadiums where the Seahawks/Mariners play.

We walked to Pike Place Market.

They also have a free shuttle to Pier 91.

Brewery Bar across the street, Krispy Kreame close by.

Silver Cloud Hotels, Stadium, right next door to the 2 stadiums where the Seahawks/Mariners play.

We walked to Pike Place Market.

They also have a free shuttle to Pier 91.

Brewery Bar across the street, Krispy Kreame close by.

I've read other comments here about Silver Cloud. I love that they have a free shuttle to the pier! Is it a very long walk to the Market? Is is easy to get to the Space Needle? Thanks for all the help!

Marilyn

I've read other comments here about Silver Cloud. I love that they have a free shuttle to the pier! Is it a very long walk to the Market? Is is easy to get to the Space Needle? Thanks for all the help!

Marilyn

Google Maps says it's a little over a mile and a quarter to the Market, and it's a long, gradual uphill. You could probably take a bus, and a cab wouldn't be all that much. Personally, I would get a ride up there, do the Market early in the day, and walk back afterwards. You'd go right by the Seattle Art Museum, if that interests you, and through Pioneer Square (Underground Tour, Klondike Gold Rush Museum, lots of shops and galleries and restaurants). Do note that you will see some homeless people there, too--Pioneer Square is where the term "skid row" came from--and that freaks out some visitors. But they're mostly too busy trying to survive to bother anyone, and at most will ask you for some spare change. I wouldn't worry at all about walking through the area in the daytime.

To get to Seattle Center and the Space Needle, I would walk to the Stadium station and catch the light rail to Westlake Center. Go up from there and catch the monorail from the second floor.

Any information on the Maxwell? Looks like a very convenient location with a free shuttle. So many choices!!!!

We always stay the the Maxwell when we come to Seattle for concerts. Great hotel. AAA has good prices for it.

We always stay the the Maxwell when we come to Seattle for concerts. Great hotel. AAA has good prices for it.

Is the Maxwell a good location for Pikes Market and the Space Needle? It does sound like a real nice place.

I was looking on a travel website for Seattle hotels and was shocked at the high prices for downtown hotels. We need 2 rooms for 2 nights prior to our cruise. I found the Georgetown Inn which is a locally owned hotel 4 miles from downtown right on a bus line. I couldn't believe all the wonderful reviews for this place (#23 out of 93 hotels listed). It was right up there with all the more expensive ones. All for $119/night in August! The hotel owners/staff got wonderful remarks for their customer service and the cleanliness of the hotel was mentioned numerous times in the reviews.

I was looking on a travel website for Seattle hotels and was shocked at the high prices for downtown hotels. We need 2 rooms for 2 nights prior to our cruise. I found the Georgetown Inn which is a locally owned hotel 4 miles from downtown right on a bus line. I couldn't believe all the wonderful reviews for this place (#23 out of 93 hotels listed). It was right up there with all the more expensive ones. All for $119/night in August! The hotel owners/staff got wonderful remarks for their customer service and the cleanliness of the hotel was mentioned numerous times in the reviews.

Never heard of it or seen it; it may be perfectly fine but that's not the best part of town. Industrial, warehouses, trains. I wouldn't consider it. To be honest, I'd choose a hotel by the airport and take the Light Rail into town.

You might want to post on the Seattle forum of tripadvisor to get more feedback on your choice.

Most folks coming to town for a cruise would SO not be happy staying in Georgetown!! It's miles from anywhere else you're going--the airport, the piers, the major tourist sights. It's an old neighborhood, formerly completely rundown and scary, now gentrifying a bit but not anywhere near there yet, by most people's standards. A lot of hipsters and artists have moved there because it's cheap, and the bars and restaurants in the area reflect that clientele (and while they're often perfectly friendly, you probably don't have nearly enough tattoos and facial piercings to blend it--I know I don't!) There are several places in Georgetown that I quite like to eat and drink, but the walk from this motel (that's what it really is--more of an old roadside motel, not a hotel) to any of them would scare all but the most fearless urbanite. Would I recommend staying there to out-of-towners, unless they were edgy hipsters on a tight budget? NO, definitely not.

I have to wonder about all those great reviews you saw... You hear about people gaming sites like Trip Advisor, and if I've ever seen a place where I'd suspect that was going on, this is it! Likewise, the photos of their neighborhood on their website make them look in the middle of a charming, funky, attractive neighborhood. This place is NOT in the middle, and it's NOT that pretty. I think that anybody booking this place sight-unseen is likely to be disappointed.

Edited by Casagordita

Is the Maxwell a good location for Pikes Market and the Space Needle? It does sound like a real nice place.

Quick walk to the Space Needle. Monorail from the Seattle Center to Westlake - then easy walk to the Pike Place Market. I think the hotel has a shuttle that will take you around, too.

Will be in Seattle for 2 nights first of June. Want to check out the Space Needle, Pikes Market and the usual tourist things. What does anyone think of the Best Western Executive Inn and the Four Points Sheraton. Which hotel would be more convenient and which would you choose or any other suggestions?

Edited by golfpccc

The Hampton might be a good choice for you. Even tho it's close to the Seattle Center it's also a residential area so there's a grocery store next door, restaurants, etc. Plus it's convenient to the Seattle Center and monorail to downtown, or, catch a cab for under $15.

There's a Holiday Inn xpress around that area as well. And a Quality Inn ( it's older but has been renovated)

Which grocery store is next door to the Hampton Inn, please and thanks ?