Can I purchase my own on board credits?

I completely agree that the OP should be allowed to deal with her OBC in whichever way works best for her. I do the gift certificates or call to pre-pay.

Sure, I could start a savings account, but then the money would be sitting there taunting me despite my best intentions for it. If it's already in my cruise account or in the gift certs, it's pretty much inviolate. And, re: the certs...anyone can call RCCL (or go online) and buy them for you. Yes, you do have to remember to submit them 10 days before your cruise, but it's not like they go bad.

If you purchase gift certificates they MUST be redeemed BEFORE you board. They can not be taken aboard and applied then, just FYI

So if you purchase gift certificates, do they not deliver the gift certificates to your room the first day of your cruise and then you could just use them towards your ship board account at the end of the cruise? I understand that they wouldn't reimburse you any money you haven't spent.

I'm not understanding the point you make that they must be redeemed before you board - would you have to book their ship excursions with them or purchase a wine package, etc? how does that work?

What if the gift certificates are meant to be a surprise for someone when they get to their room?

So if you purchase gift certificates, do they not deliver the gift certificates to your room the first day of your cruise and then you could just use them towards your ship board account at the end of the cruise?

In short, no and no. :) The gift certificates will be deemed worthless if you wait until you board to try and use them. They absolutely HAVE to be redeemed 10 days before your cruise sets sail.

Im not sure if they deliver gift certificates to the cabin but if they did, they wouldnt be any good on that particular cruise :)

Okay - thanks for the info! That changes my plans. How do you go about using the gift certificates then - are they only for future cruise bookings?

You can apply them to your Onboard account or to pay on your cruise balance...it's very easy to do online...it just has to be done BEFORE your cruise....you can gift someone with OBC and that get's a little card delivered to the stateroom...but that's not the same as a Gift Certificate...here is the link from the RCL website...that explains everything you need to know on buying & redeeming Gift Certificates...

https://www.royalcaribbeancertificates.com/

So if you purchase gift certificates, do they not deliver the gift certificates to your room the first day of your cruise and then you could just use them towards your ship board account at the end of the cruise? I understand that they wouldn't reimburse you any money you haven't spent.

I'm not understanding the point you make that they must be redeemed before you board - would you have to book their ship excursions with them or purchase a wine package, etc? how does that work?

What if the gift certificates are meant to be a surprise for someone when they get to their room?

My DD gave us a gift certi 2 years ago she called put it on our account and there was a rccl gift card in our cabin saying we had a obc and a message from them it was very nice and easy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My DD gave us a gift certi 2 years ago she called put it on our account and there was a rccl gift card in our cabin saying we had a obc and a message from them it was very nice and easy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That was Onboard credit...not the same as a gift certificate...

Before doing so, please look up and understand the Time Value of Money. You will be losing the interest you can earn on these funds by giving them to RCL early. Don't let anyone tell you there's nothing wrong with paying more than you need to, instead of investing for you and your family's future.

Exactly - it's just financially irresponsible to give the money to RCCL and let them earn interest on the float. (And yes, I understand we're not talking about big $$$ given the low interest rates.)

But as someone upthread alluded to, what if you need the money for an emergency? I don't know how difficult or easy it would be to get it back from the cruise line.

Just open an online savings account specific for this purpose. Give the cruise line your credit card when you check in, charge it to your credit card (and earn points or cash back!) and then pay the credit card bill with the funds from the savings account. Voila!

Exactly - it's just financially irresponsible to give the money to RCCL and let them earn interest on the float. (And yes, I understand we're not talking about big $$$ given the low interest rates.)

But as someone upthread alluded to, what if you need the money for an emergency? I don't know how difficult or easy it would be to get it back from the cruise line.

Just open an online savings account specific for this purpose. Give the cruise line your credit card when you check in, charge it to your credit card (and earn points or cash back!) and then pay the credit card bill with the funds from the savings account. Voila!

I agree with everything you say. Also should the person have to cancel their cruise, you'd have money in gift certificates I'm pretty sure would be non-refundable. And as for your last comment about using the money to pay your credit card bill when you get back, what seems obvious to you and me (and many others here) is sadly not how everyone likes to do things.

This is generally true in my experience as well....BUT...with this current sale, there have been astronomical wait times. Our vacation planner's ougoing voice mail message, this past Friday, actually said since the phones were so busy he couldn't return any calls and we should just call back and wait our turn on hold :(

That's why you use a travel agent. And if you pick the right one, they'll give you on-board credit for booking, and you won't need to deposit your own money to use on board (or at least not as much).