Watch the Bears in Alaska.....

sail7seas

Here is a link to a site where you can watch bears catching salmon.

I know there was a link last summer and am not sure if this is it but I just watched a huge brown bear and loved it. Fun!

http://explore.org/#!/live-cams/player/brown-bear-salmon-cam-brooks-falls

It will be even better IF and WHEN it goes live this June. They have equipment problems this year and the repeater on Dumpling Mountain was blown down and apparently damaged. It has to be flown in by helicopter. Plus last year, they had problems with the webcams holding a charge. That is supposed repaired and upgraded. We just need to wait and see.

AND yes, I am addicted to the cam when it is up and running. Awesome sights to be seen.

Too bad a cruise ship cannot get us closer to there.

Here is a link to a site where you can watch bears catching salmon.

I know there was a link last summer and am not sure if this is it but I just watched a huge brown bear and loved it. Fun!

http://explore.org/#!/live-cams/player/brown-bear-salmon-cam-brooks-falls

Judy, thanks for reposting my favorite web site!! Seriously!!

NOTE TO ALL:

The Katmai National Park and Preserve at Brooks Camp Alaska is not working at this time:(

The repeater for all of the Brooks River Web Cams is atop Dumpling Mountain. Unfortunately, the repeater was severely damaged during a severe storm in January 2014.

Due to the remote location no one has been able to even get to Brooks Camp until this past week. BUT, they still have no access to the Repeater because of a few problems, the first being to access it, the rangers have to trek up several miles carrying whatever equipment needed to first (if possible) fix it, and secondly, the Bears are still just coming out of their dens and are extremely hungry. Do not want Rangers Mike, Roy or Jeanne becoming a meal for one or more bears.

Ranger Mike did tell us last week on the Alaskan Beluga Whale Cam located in King Salmon, Alaska (25 miles from Brooks Camp (and the Park's Headquarters)) http://explore.org/live-cams/player/alaskan-beluga-whale-cam that they hope to be live again by June 1st, 2014. Sure hope so as we are all worried about our favorite bears:)

In the mean time all that you will see from Brooks Camp and the Bear Cams there are reruns from last July through Mid October 2013, when the cams went down.

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

I knew we had a link last year but couldn't find who posted it or the address. I found this one by googling.

Happy to have the update and hope they get repairs made.

It so fun to watch.

I knew we had a link last year but couldn't find who posted it or the address. I found this one by googling.

Happy to have the update and hope they get repairs made.

It so fun to watch.

Have you had a chance to see the New Disneynature Film " Bears"?

3 of our Katmai Brown Bears were in the movie:) 218 aka Ugly (in fact, if you look at my Avatar, that is Ugly himself:) and no he truly is not Ugly, Ted (cannot remember his number and 286 Cannot remember his nickname positively, but I think he is Patches)

If you do a google or Amazon search you can see a trailor of it.

OK, back to watchingTV as I wait for hubby to get home from Missouri.

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

It will be even better IF and WHEN it goes live this June. They have equipment problems this year and the repeater on Dumpling Mountain was blown down and apparently damaged. It has to be flown in by helicopter. Plus last year, they had problems with the webcams holding a charge. That is supposed repaired and upgraded. We just need to wait and see.

AND yes, I am addicted to the cam when it is up and running. Awesome sights to be seen.

Too bad a cruise ship cannot get us closer to there.

I'm also addicted. Thanks for telling us why it hasn't been on the air in such a long time.

Hi

That bear with the scar is a favorite and he is my favorite bear. The rangers do come on and have chats with is. Also there are ther to answer questions and tell you what is happening in the park and the bears. Also Ted If you want to see how he got his scar just type in Bear fight warning it is grapic.. Also look at Mamma bear saves her cubs afer they fall over the falls. I was watching the day they fell in the water and they went over the falls. Warning it is habit forming and you will be glued to your computer. Also last year there were about 15 bears at the falls at one time. I will miss most of june as I will be in Alaska but I will not be able to get to the park.

Mary

Judy, thanks for reposting my favorite web site!! Seriously!!

NOTE TO ALL:

The Katmai National Park and Preserve at Brooks Camp Alaska is not working at this time:(

The repeater for all of the Brooks River Web Cams is atop Dumpling Mountain. Unfortunately, the repeater was severely damaged during a severe storm in January 2014.

Due to the remote location no one has been able to even get to Brooks Camp until this past week. BUT, they still have no access to the Repeater because of a few problems, the first being to access it, the rangers have to trek up several miles carrying whatever equipment needed to first (if possible) fix it, and secondly, the Bears are still just coming out of their dens and are extremely hungry. Do not want Rangers Mike, Roy or Jeanne becoming a meal for one or more bears.

Ranger Mike did tell us last week on the Alaskan Beluga Whale Cam located in King Salmon, Alaska (25 miles from Brooks Camp (and the Park's Headquarters)) http://explore.org/live-cams/player/alaskan-beluga-whale-cam that they hope to be live again by June 1st, 2014. Sure hope so as we are all worried about our favorite bears:)

In the mean time all that you will see from Brooks Camp and the Bear Cams there are reruns from last July through Mid October 2013, when the cams went down.

Joanie

Thank you Joanie for this latest information. I do remember when you first posted this link and how much you love watching those bears. It made me book mark it and I've enjoyed quite a bit of time watching them, too!

This is a wonderful site that I have been following for a couple of years now' date=' from May until hibernation. But do have to wonder what it has to do with cruising.:confused:[/quote']

I think a lot of us are preparing for our Alaska cruises and hope to see bears while on excursions.

Otis is my favorite, too, Rockfan2!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy

Edited by AlohaPride

Have you had a chance to see the New Disneynature Film " Bears"?

3 of our Katmai Brown Bears were in the movie:) 218 aka Ugly (in fact, if you look at my Avatar, that is Ugly himself:) and no he truly is not Ugly, Ted (cannot remember his number and 286 Cannot remember his nickname positively, but I think he is Patches)

If you do a google or Amazon search you can see a trailor of it.

OK, back to watchingTV as I wait for hubby to get home from Missouri.

Joanie

Were they "renamed" for the movie or just "extras" so to speak?

I love the movie!! I've seen it twice saying I'm building up my "bear karma" for the summer!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Were they "renamed" for the movie or just "extras" so to speak?

I love the movie!! I've seen it twice saying I'm building up my "bear karma" for the summer!!

The Rangers have told us that they do not name the bears specifically because they do not feel it is right to since they might then become thought of as "pets". The names have been given to them by us, the web cam viewers:) #256 aka Patches, was given the name by us because he has patches of darker fur that stands out against the lighter fur in June and July. Brooke (I think #402) was given the name just this past July or August by one of our group because she tends to favor Brooks Falls when she takes her cubs on a food hunt:) Ugly got his nick name due to how ugly he looks with nor fat on his body and his behavior as a young adult, it was quite ugly to say the least.....Now, even with that moniker, he is such a laid back dude that the name no longer fits him, but has stuck:) Otis was given the name because of his laid back ways and at the time the name was given someone thought of the song by Otis Redding (think that is the singers last name) "Sitting by the dock of the Bay."

It is really awesome to watch the bears in their natural habitat and see the changes in them throughout the season(s).

And yes, the "Bears" was filmed in both British Columbia and the Katmai Peninsula.

Seeing the bears and other Alaskan Wildlife definitely gets me into a frame of mind for cruising to Alaska and I know that I will be going this time with more knowledge about the bears and other wildlife there thanks to the web cams:)

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

This is a wonderful site that I have been following for a couple of years now' date=' from May until hibernation. But do have to wonder what it has to do with cruising.:confused:[/quote']

Many of us hope to see bears on our Alaska excursions and when scenic sailing. I know I associate viewing brown bears with our cruise to Alaska. I don't see any in my everyday life in Boston area....... though according to many news reports, they are being seen in more and more suburban neighborhoods. :eek:

Cruising/Alaska/Bears....... Yup. For me there is a definite connection. :D

Many of us hope to see bears on our Alaska excursions and when scenic sailing. I know I associate viewing brown bears with our cruise to Alaska. I don't see any in my everyday life in Boston area....... though according to many news reports, they are being seen in more and more suburban neighborhoods. :eek:

LOVE-It-heart-Button.jpg.97ee0433e26218cc5feb4f61c50560c2.jpg

'Nuf Said

Joanie

Didn't Tony Soprano have one in his back-yard? In New Jersey?:cool:

Didn't Tony Soprano have one in his back-yard? In New Jersey?:cool:

Yes, you're right! I remember that episode. :D

DH and I had been watching the whole series being replayed on our Cable and then suddenly they ended it mid way through. I keep searching for a place to see the rest of the segments that I never saw when they first aired. Disappointing the way they abruptly stopped it.

Yes, you're right! I remember that episode. :D

DH and I had been watching the whole series being replayed on our Cable and then suddenly they ended it mid way through. I keep searching for a place to see the rest of the segments that I never saw when they first aired. Disappointing the way they abruptly stopped it.

It's currently being re-shown here, I missed it first time round. You can buy/rent/borrow a box set, though?

It's currently being re-shown here, I missed it first time round. You can buy/rent/borrow a box set, though?

On cable?

Which cable in your community?

The Rangers have told us that they do not name the bears specifically because they do not feel it is right to since they might then become thought of as "pets". The names have been given to them by us, the web cam viewers:) #256 aka Patches, was given the name by us because he has patches of darker fur that stands out against the lighter fur in June and July. Brooke (I think #402) was given the name just this past July or August by one of our group because she tends to favor Brooks Falls when she takes her cubs on a food hunt:) Ugly got his nick name due to how ugly he looks with nor fat on his body and his behavior as a young adult, it was quite ugly to say the least.....Now, even with that moniker, he is such a laid back dude that the name no longer fits him, but has stuck:) Otis was given the name because of his laid back ways and at the time the name was given someone thought of the song by Otis Redding (think that is the singers last name) "Sitting by the dock of the Bay."

It is really awesome to watch the bears in their natural habitat and see the changes in them throughout the season(s).

And yes, the "Bears" was filmed in both British Columbia and the Katmai Peninsula.

Seeing the bears and other Alaskan Wildlife definitely gets me into a frame of mind for cruising to Alaska and I know that I will be going this time with more knowledge about the bears and other wildlife there thanks to the web cams:)

Joanie

Thanks Joanie!