Random things you can share on the Allure and Oasis

My friend and I are considering a cruise on one of these ships. I'm spending my evening reading through the RCI boards on both ships to see what information I can glean. Plus, looked at RCI's website. Given that, I would still love to hear anything you would tell a first time cruiser on either of these ships. Neither of us have sailed RCI in many years and have recently sailed primarily Princess.

I would love to hear things you love, things not to be missed, cautionary things like cabin location, etc. Anything you might share with one of your friends if they were going to cruise these ships.:)

Secret Balcony on deck 11 or 12. Go to the aft end either side for a fairly private area for sailaway. It's actually quite nice out there and you can watch the Aquashow from there.

But definitely pre-book all shows. Don't miss the Aquashow, Ice Show, or Broadway show. All are great. Be sure to book Comedy Show. Very small venue and hard to stand by for.

Had a friend that did Central Park Balcony cabin and complained about pool noise.

We did a Boardwalk Balcony. Not too bad but will probably upgrade to Ocean view balcony in the future. But I'd take a balcony over an inside or window any day.

We did a Crown Loft... what else needs to be said. If you can get into a Grand Suite or higher, the Concierge Lounge is outstanding for Breakfast, Lunch, and Happy Hour.

Rising Tide bar for 70's night. Get on it early and hang in there. They stop it half way up for the show. Best seats in the house.

Central Park in the evening for a romantic stroll.

150 Central Park for a very special evening. If you do it, and you aren't a HUGE wine drinker, split the wine pairing. The pour is more than adequate for 2 people.

Johnnie Rockets for Breakfast.

So much to do, so little time. You'll love it!

Gosh, there is soooo much what I didn't cover in my Oasis review, I covered in my Allure review;). Those are linked below in my signature. Also Rsharp83 has an Allure review that is from a total newbie (never cruised) perspective!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1834930

Also, look for Gambee and megacruisers more recent meta reviews.

Really you are doing the best thing- read threads and reviews because there is sooo much to do, you need to identify someone with similar interests to yours to determine what you want to do based on their ideas. :D

On Allure there was two musicians one a girl and one a guy. They perform all over the ship. Girl plays violin and guy plays bass violen or maybe bass. Anyway in Central Park they play music at night and they do a rendition of Led Zepplins Stairway to Heaven. You gotta hear it

Edited by AF-1

I don't know if this is still being done, but on our Oasis sailing some years ago, they offered an art tour led by one of the cruise director's staff. We spent about an hour walking through public areas of the ship, including the main dining room and the promenade, viewing and hearing about the art collection, with an emphasis on six or eight specific pieces of interest.

On both Oasis and Allure there is a horticulturalist tour in Central Park, led by the chief horticulturalist. It was a fascinating look at how the park was created and how it is maintained.

The tours were offered twice during the week-long cruise, and were listed on the Cruise Compass. No registration is required, and they are free of charge.

Sea Day lunch in MDR is great (all ships).

Oasis/Allure; check out the Wipeout Cafe near the sports court; pretty good grab and go lunches there.

On Air club gets popular fast; not big enough for these ships though, get there early for karaoke participation or watching if that is your thing.

While on either ship, as you travel about, keep an eye out for the "Small Wonders" art pieces. If you see a waist high pedestal or what looks like binocular viewers, look into them and you will be surprised. The best number I could find was 42 of them on Oasis and I would assume a like number on Allure. They may be found anywhere in the public spaces, outside and in.