All our luggage stolen from ship after check in

My husband and I, 2 English passengers, had all of our luggage stolen from a Hurtigruten ship after embarking at Bergen for the 12 day round trip. We feel we must highlight the incident and dangers to other current and future international passengers, who will naturally expect in 2014 a certain level of security. Global passengers do not expect when sold a cruise that anyone off the street can board a ship, steal passengers’ suitcases that have been left unsafe in corridors or in unlocked luggage stores and walk off the ship with the suitcases completely unchallenged. There is no security.

Hurtigruten are refusing to replace our stolen possessions, even after admitting that the suitcases were in their care and it is therefore their responsibility to put the situation right, as they were negligent by allowing a visitor to steal the 2 big suitcases and walk past the staff completely unchallenged.

If you would like to read the full facts, the link is below.

http://cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=254129

Any helpful advice to help us fight this case?

What is your reaction to a voyage sold at international cruise fares and governed by CLIA to the complete lack of security?

Do you think that Hurtigruten should replace all our stolen items or monetary value of them, as the bags were in their care when stolen?

Do you think Hurtigruten should be compensating us for our ruined holiday, distress, upset etc?

I am sure that Hurtigruten's contract abolves them of any responsibility for lost or damaged luggage. If you had travel insurance you might be able to file a claim against it or failing that you might have a claim against your homeowner's policy. Outside of that I can offer no suggestions.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

What a horrible experience.

If this person had a visitor's pass, shouldn't there be a record of this somewhere showing his name?

No, Hurtigruten allow "visitors" on to the ships without any security checks or record of identity. Visitors simply walk on, get given a card which says visitor, then are free to roam the ship. On leaving, they simply hand the visitor card back in.

In our situation, at 9-9.30pm, when all the guests were in a welcome meeting and there should not have been any visitors the thief came on board, stole our 2 huge suitcases and the staff said goodnight to him when he handed back his visitor card and watched as he walked off into the empty terminal.

Common sense should have told them that no passenger would be leaving the ship 30 minutes before the ship set sail, let alone one with a visitors pass.

The senior vice president of Hurtigruten hotel operations said to us "they cannot defend the indefensible", but they still refuse to pay us for our stolen possessions.

No, Hurtigruten allow "visitors" on to the ships without any security checks or record of identity. Visitors simply walk on, get given a card which says visitor, then are free to roam the ship. On leaving, they simply hand the visitor card back in.

In our situation, at 9-9.30pm, when all the guests were in a welcome meeting and there should not have been any visitors the thief came on board, stole our 2 huge suitcases and the staff said goodnight to him when he handed back his visitor card and watched as he walked off into the empty terminal.

Common sense should have told them that no passenger would be leaving the ship 30 minutes before the ship set sail, let alone one with a visitors pass.

The senior vice president of Hurtigruten hotel operations said to us "they cannot defend the indefensible", but they still refuse to pay us for our stolen possessions.

I'm very sorry this happened to you.

I find it shocking that any cruiseline would let visitors on and off a ship in this way. Here in the US only guests of a wedding party are allowed to board the ship and that's after going through a complete checkin procedure.

I also think it's ridiculous that security wouldn't challenge a visitor leaving the ship with luggage. But as others have said, there is probably language in your cruise contract that limits Hurtigruten's liability and compensation.

At Carnival Cruises they put a $50 per bag with a $100 per cabin limit on what they will compensate for lost bags. My current trip insurance plan covers me up to $1500 for lost luggage.

As I'm sure the OP is aware Hurtigruten operate cruise-ferries, not cruise ships. Many of the passengers are aboard simply to get from A to B.

So the situation is very different to mainstream cruising. Port calls are often brief, sometimes just a few minutes, and several port calls per day. At every port there's folk with luggage departing the ship. So there's nothing suspicious about that, as there would be at a conventional cruise ship embarkation port or port of call.

But because of that, I would expect security to be tighter, and I'm surprised that "visitors" are freely allowed on & off the ship without good reason - not something which I'd expect of a ferry. And the Bergen security officer simply accepting the return of a visitor's pass from folk leaving the ship with suitcases does seem very lax.

Since the cases were in Hurtigruten's control, they have a "duty of care", regardless of any small-print in their term & conditions.

I do worry a little at airports & even on regular cruise ships that plenty of folk have access to my luggage, & for instance when leaving a baggage reclaim don't have to produce the little tags (usually stuck onto boarding passes) that match airlines' luggage labels.

But I guess the incidence of such thefts is low enough for it not to be worth the inevitable hold-up.

Good luck, and please let us know the outcome

JB :)

I'm sorry this happened to you! However, here is how this cruise line is described:

Hurtigruten ("the Express Route") is a daily passenger and freight shipping service along Norway's western and northern coast between Bergen and Kirkenes. Sometimes referred to as Norwegian Coastal Express, Hurtigruten ships sail almost the entire length of the country, completing the round-trip journey in 11 days. The trip has been described as the "World's Most Beautiful Sea Voyage." with highlights including the Hanseatic League city of Bergen, the Geiranger fjord (summer only), and the Lofoten Islands. The company has nearly 2% of the worldwide cruise market.[1]

It is primarily a ferry service and if anything like our ferry service here on the Atlantic Ocean, does not work the way a cruise ship does. Passengers do in fact get on and off without challenge unlike a cruise ship. The conversion chart I have indicates that you were give 30,000 NOK which translates to over $5000 U.S. dollars. That is a significant amount for the contents of two suitcases.

I hope things get better for you after your home and have a chance to regroup. I am NOT saying the company is without fault, they have ownership for this mess. I think they're response could have been handled better.

I'm sorry this happened to you! However, here is how this cruise line is described:

Hurtigruten ("the Express Route") is a daily passenger and freight shipping service along Norway's western and northern coast between Bergen and Kirkenes. Sometimes referred to as Norwegian Coastal Express, Hurtigruten ships sail almost the entire length of the country, completing the round-trip journey in 11 days. The trip has been described as the "World's Most Beautiful Sea Voyage." with highlights including the Hanseatic League city of Bergen, the Geiranger fjord (summer only), and the Lofoten Islands. The company has nearly 2% of the worldwide cruise market.[1]

It is primarily a ferry service and if anything like our ferry service here on the Atlantic Ocean, does not work the way a cruise ship does. Passengers do in fact get on and off without challenge unlike a cruise ship. The conversion chart I have indicates that you were give 30,000 NOK which translates to over $5000 U.S. dollars. That is a significant amount for the contents of two suitcases.

I hope things get better for you after your home and have a chance to regroup. I am NOT saying the company is without fault, they have ownership for this mess. I think they're response could have been handled better.

If the wife had her jewelry case in one of the bags $5000 could be a drop in the bucket. However, I personally keep my jewelry case on me besides not taking anything very valuable other than my wedding rings or perhaps my diamond studs worn in my ears. I could get held up I suppose, but we do buy travel insurance.

Shocking

I am surprised that your bags were not in your cabin at that time of night

You may have to claim through your home owner ins & trip insurance then keep going after the Hurtigruten

What a nightmare this must have been for you

Edited by LHT28

I've never been in a situation like this, but did have my luggage left behind once on my flight to Great Britain. I made the plane, but my luggage didn't.

Once we filled out the missing luggage report, & left our itinerary with them, we were told to purchase whatever we needed and save the receipts. I believe our airline tickets said $250 pp for lost luggage.

It took 3 days for our luggage to finally catch up to our hotel. So do know what living in the same clothes for an extended period of time is like. The stress and worry could definitely put a damper on the trip. I believe we spent 50 pounds and were not reimbursed until we got home and filed the receipts with the airline.

From your initial post, it sounded as if you hadn't received any reimbursement. Then reading your complete review, if you have received over 5000 pounds, to my way of thinking you have been reimbursed for your lost luggage. It's too bad it wasn't handled better, but to get on a cruising forum and claim you haven't been reimbursed isn't right either.

Good luck in your future travels!

If the wife had her jewelry case in one of the bags $5000 could be a drop in the bucket. However, I personally keep my jewelry case on me besides not taking anything very valuable other than my wedding rings or perhaps my diamond studs worn in my ears. I could get held up I suppose, but we do buy travel insurance.

Most of us would take more care of jewelry than to leave it in a checked suitcase. We have all read of jewelry being stolen from checked suitcases with the airlines and we have a responsibility for common sense protection of our valuables.

While I agree this was a very poorly handled situation, I feel very badly for OP but I can't imagine anyone checking precious jewelry and having it out of their control.

The conversion chart I have indicates that you were give 30,000 NOK which translates to over $5000 U.S. dollars. That is a significant amount for the contents of two suitcases.

Far more than what I would have received from CCL or NCL.

OP, if you did receive compensation than they have taken responsibility and paid what they feel that they have to under the law and the contract. If you want more than you'll probably have to sue.

Most of us would take more care of jewelry than to leave it in a checked suitcase. We have all read of jewelry being stolen from checked suitcases with the airlines and we have a responsibility for common sense protection of our valuables.

While I agree this was a very poorly handled situation, I feel very badly for OP but I can't imagine anyone checking precious jewelry and having it out of their control.

Oh I agree but people do foolish things. I know years ago on a shopping channel , a show host who was held up in an airport and lost her wedding rings. Her husband replaced them for one of their anniversaries and it happened again when she put them into checked luggage. She used this as a sales pitch to sell CZs. Not that I "bought" that part of the pitch. lol I would rather were a plain band alone than that!

I learned an easier way that was stupid. All I lost was a sterling and freshwater pearl brooch I had attached to clothing. so no biggie. I liked it but it was easily replaced since it was not expensive.

No worries about my original rings-they were not very valuable and mostly only have sentimental value. They are locked away in my bank deposit box. My rings I wear now are more valuable by a long shot but they are insured and if I lost them that would not break my heart.

However inthis instance, I was thinking of carryon luggage. Some people will leave that parked somewhere when they get on-several lines offer that service until you are allowed in your stateroom. I never leave mine as I have my meds, shampoo etc. in there. Nothing really valuable( the thief would be disappointed for sure) but things I would have trouble replacing if they were stolen. I need my med and my shampoo is really important to me, as it makes my hair fuller and hard to find just anywhere.

Lol! once I had left in my car my bag that I carry my Bible in, for Sunday go to meeting-I had gone that Sunday afternoon to the grocery store and foolishly did not lock my car. Someone took that. Lol! I am sure they were disappointed and probably feared "the Lord" would strike them down.

Oh I agree but people do foolish things. I know years ago on a shopping channel , a show host who was held up in an airport and lost her wedding rings. Her husband replaced them for one of their anniversaries and it happened again when she put them into checked luggage. She used this as a sales pitch to sell CZs. Not that I "bought" that part of the pitch. lol I would rather were a plain band alone than that!

I learned an easier way that was stupid. All I lost was a sterling and freshwater pearl brooch I had attached to clothing. so no biggie. I liked it but it was easily replaced since it was not expensive.

No worries about my original rings-they were not very valuable and mostly only have sentimental value. They are locked away in my bank deposit box. My rings I wear now are more valuable by a long shot but they are insured and if I lost them that would not break my heart.

However inthis instance, I was thinking of carryon luggage. Some people will leave that parked somewhere when they get on-several lines offer that service until you are allowed in your stateroom. I never leave mine as I have my meds, shampoo etc. in there. Nothing really valuable( the thief would be disappointed for sure) but things I would have trouble replacing if they were stolen. I need my med and my shampoo is really important to me, as it makes my hair fuller and hard to find just anywhere.

Lol! once I had left in my car my bag that I carry my Bible in, for Sunday go to meeting-I had gone that Sunday afternoon to the grocery store and foolishly did not lock my car. Someone took that. Lol! I am sure they were disappointed and probably feared "the Lord" would strike them down.

It was Colleen Lopez that was on HSN who told that story- she may still be on there I never watch those shows anymore. I did back when my daughter was small and I was a stay at home mom. She told this story at least 20 years ago. I am guessing before it became hard to take a gun inside the airport.

If OP actually received the equivalent of $5,000 from the cruise line, she was treated far better than might be expected from any US based cruise line or airline. True, there was a loss and I am sorry for that, but anyone who leaves more than a couple of thousand dollars worth of anything in checked luggage is being careless - and, in this case, appears to have been fairly generously compensated. If a carrier made that sort of settlement with me, I would forgive them for whatever attitude they might have expressed.

Just to clarify, I can't see any reference to the OP leaving jewellery in one of the checked cases.

The only mention of jewellery that I have seen is by Momofmeg, in response to the offer of $5,000 recompense, that "If the wife had her jewelry case in one of the bags $5000 could be a drop in the bucket".

Yes, $5,000 is a handsome sum in recompense for the average cruisers' two cases of clothing etc, but Norway is an expensive place for enforced purchases.

JB :)

Far more than what I would have received from CCL or NCL.

OP, if you did receive compensation than they have taken responsibility and paid what they feel that they have to under the law and the contract. If you want more than you'll probably have to sue.

Surely anything more valuable than that amount they would have insured?

I am so confused by this thread.

I cannot figure out what was and wasn't stolen and whether OP actually was paid $5,000.

If so, what's the problem? If not, where did this $5,000 figure come from? :confused:

I am so confused by this thread.

I cannot figure out what was and wasn't stolen and whether OP actually was paid $5,000.

If so, what's the problem? If not, where did this $5,000 figure come from? :confused:

It sounds like they posted a review elsewhere that others have read. I haven't, so I am trusting the others are telling the truth. I am inclined to believe them as they are regular posters here, unlike the OP. The OP supplied a link to their review.

It does sound like what many do when they complain on forums. They tell the truth but omit a few key things, to make you think they were not treated fairly.

My husband and I, 2 English passengers, had all of our luggage stolen from a Hurtigruten ship after embarking at Bergen for the 12 day round trip. We feel we must highlight the incident and dangers to other current and future international passengers, who will naturally expect in 2014 a certain level of security. Global passengers do not expect when sold a cruise that anyone off the street can board a ship, steal passengers’ suitcases that have been left unsafe in corridors or in unlocked luggage stores and walk off the ship with the suitcases completely unchallenged. There is no security.

Hurtigruten are refusing to replace our stolen possessions, even after admitting that the suitcases were in their care and it is therefore their responsibility to put the situation right, as they were negligent by allowing a visitor to steal the 2 big suitcases and walk past the staff completely unchallenged.

If you would like to read the full facts, the link is below.

http://cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=254129

Any helpful advice to help us fight this case?

What is your reaction to a voyage sold at international cruise fares and governed by CLIA to the complete lack of security?

Do you think that Hurtigruten should replace all our stolen items or monetary value of them, as the bags were in their care when stolen?

Do you think Hurtigruten should be compensating us for our ruined holiday, distress, upset etc?

This post is somewhat deceptive. OP was given 30,000 NOK (about $5,000 US). See below quote from their cruise review.

At 22:00hrs on Saturday 22nd March we were appalled to then be given by the Hotel Manager an email from Senior The Vice President. In the email he wrote that “our policy for lost luggage is £500 per person as outlined in our terms and conditions” He “apologises for the inconvenience”. Again, this email shows no recognition or acknowledgement of the continued upset and distress that we have been caused. I think to describe the event as an “inconvenience” is rather flippant. Again, our luggage is not “lost”, but has been stolen whilst in Hurtigruten’s care through Hurtigruten’s negligence. Despite having requested a list of outstanding items and replacement costs, the Senior Vice President was clearly putting us through more stress and upset and obviously had no intention of even looking at this list. In his email he writes “ we are prepared to offer a further 10 000NOK in addition to the 20 000NOK you have already received from the ship to cover your losses. This is only on production of receipts”. It is incorrect and misleading to say we had already received 20 000 NOK to cover our losses. This money was given as emergency funds by the Hotel Manager for us to buy basic items, such as underwear. From this money we also had to buy 2 new suitcases, which cost more than 3000NOK by themselves. Obviously while 20000NOK is a large sum of money, it does not buy very much in Norway, given the very high prices, particularly for winter clothing and we were only able to replace a small number of our possessions.

Thank you. To clarify a few points:

We DID NOT have any jewellery in the cases;

The contents were expensive, as it was an extremely cold, long journey in Norway, so we had all our ski clothes, ideal for the conditions and these are very expensive. We also had tripod, binoculars, AV cables & chargers, my varifocal 2nd pair of glasses etc;

Hurtigruten have reneged and withdrawn on their original email received whilst on the ship, which offered 10,000NOK on production of receipts in the UK. So total received 20,000 NOK (£1950 / $3300)

As one poster has pointed out, Norway is an exceedingly expensive place to buy emergency clothing, so the emergency funds of 10,000 NOK (£975 /$1650) given on the 1st day only bought 2 suitcases, 2 sets of thermals, 1pair of socks, 2prs gloves, 1pair of ski trousers. So clearly £1950 did not replace all our belongings. The police on their report estimated the contents of 2 average cases to be 40,000 NOK so Hurtigruten have not given even what the police suggested.

In regard to the postings saying it is sold as a ferry -ferries are not sold at international cruise shows or sold by cruise agents or discussed on cruise forums nor are allowed to be members of CLIA (cruise lines international association) or cost £118 ($200) per person per night when on a 50% off special and you don't go on a ferry for 12 days. Hurtigruten only remind people it is a working ferry when it suits them, certainly not at cruise fairs when they are selling them.

What has your insurance company said?

As you probably know, when booking a holiday from the UK travel insurance is mandatory, so you should be filing a claim with them.

If for some inexplicable reason you didnt buy insurance then your household contents insurance may allow some claim to be made.

Its why insurance is there.

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse tryping orrers.

What has your insurance company said?

As you probably know, when booking a holiday from the UK travel insurance is mandatory, so you should be filing a claim with them.

If for some inexplicable reason you didnt buy insurance then your household contents insurance may allow some claim to be made.

Its why insurance is there.

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse tryping orrers.

Our travel insurance have said to pursue all avenues with Hurtigruten first, as they are liable. Our argument is that Hurtigruten were negligent in not having adequate security measures to protect passengers and their belongings whilst in their care. Hurtigruten should be claiming on their public liability insurance. We are £3000 out of pocket in possessions alone. Our travel insurance will pay a maximum of £1500, which I think is an average policy cover. We have never had to add up the value of our cases before. When you next pack it would be worthwhile making a detailed list and then putting the replacement costs next to each item. I think you will be shocked to see how it all adds up. Normally one does not have all your luggage stolen in one go as well. Packing for a winter holiday is far more expensive than packing for a summer holiday due to the specialist items of clothing e.g. one thermal top costs £40 compared to a £5 T shirt.

How come we didn't know about the payment you received? I would have found it relevant for that to have been included in OP.

I rarely click links provided on public message forums.

At the end of the day it is good to find another reason for sticking to warm water cruising - having had a couple of winter North Atlantics on a destroyer escort, the rule is: Nothing north of latitude 30 North after Veterans' Day (Remembrance Day for you guys).