Smart casual evenings

campergirl62

We're booked on Oceana on 31 August going to the Norwegian fjords. I believe there are two formal evenings and the rest are smart casual. I've already sorted our formal wear but how smart is smart casual? We've never been on a cruise before so have no idea what to expect! I don't want to be over or under dressed.

I've always found that the women tend to dress up, even on a casual evening. I've seen floaty dresses with spaghetti straps for instance. The women, in my opinion, tend to look smarter than the men who mostly, quite rightly according to the dress code, wear short sleeve shirts with chinos - that sort of thing. It has always looked odd to me to see the men really casually dressed - nothing wrong with that - but the women look so much smarter.

I've always found that the women tend to dress up, even on a casual evening. I've seen floaty dresses with spaghetti straps for instance. The women, in my opinion, tend to look smarter than the men who mostly, quite rightly according to the dress code, wear short sleeve shirts with chinos - that sort of thing. It has always looked odd to me to see the men really casually dressed - nothing wrong with that - but the women look so much smarter.

Just wear what you would in a holiday hotel no need to go dressy if you don't want to except formal night that's great to go all out dressy .

I tended to wear an open neck shirt with black denim jeans and black trainers. They say that trainers aren't allowed but if you have a very decent pair then you can get away with it and still look smart.

"Stylish resort or leisurewear is ideal for Evening Casual nights, for example casual separates or dresses for ladies and open-neck polo shirts and casual trousers (not shorts) for men. A jacket and smart trousers can be worn but are not compulsory. Smart dark denim is also fine, but not trainers, football shirts or tracksuits".

The Evening Casual code specifically says no trainers so why would you run the risk of any embarassment by wearing them and being asked to leave a bar/restaurant?

Really the Evening Casual code is pretty easy to comply with. I just can't see what the problem is.

David

I also just don't understand why people can't simply comply with the dress code. Its nuts. You have a choice of cruise companies with differing dress codes. Everyone knows that so why go one one that has a dress code you don't want to comply with.

David

Trainers? why can't people just comply with the dress code, it's been dumbed down enough over the years..some won't be happy until they can wear their shorts and vests around the ship at night!

LOL, I was waiting for the flames and it didn't take long.

Believe me, a £200 pair of Hugo Boss trainers is nothing like your Nike / Adidas trainers. They easily pass for decent casual shoes, in fact they are a lot smarter than the many casual shoes I saw on the ship during the evening. :p

As for shorts and vests during the evening? Nah, not my scene.

Shallwe

It was you that described them as trainers.

Strange you would turn your nose up at vests and shorts and also think its funny that people respond to your comment about wearing trainers.

David

LOL, I was waiting for the flames and it didn't take long.

Believe me, a £200 pair of Hugo Boss trainers is nothing like your Nike / Adidas trainers. They easily pass for decent casual shoes, in fact they are a lot smarter than the many casual shoes I saw on the ship during the evening. :p

As for shorts and vests during the evening? Nah, not my scene.

I just googled them and they look like trainers to me.

As the saying goes, if it looks like a duck and quacks............

Well, neither of us will be wearing any sort of trainer in the evening! I've lots of nice tops that don't get much wear so it'll be good to give them an airing. Steve will have shirts with collars, long trousers and proper shoes for smart casual evenings.

Mind you, he originates from 'Sarf London' so a strong accent. But I like regional accents so we are what we are!

Trainers are trainers. Do my £299 jeans suddenly become trousers because they cost more than a pair of Levi's?

Why do people feel the need to push the boundaries with trainers for shoes, 3/4 length shorts as trousers, grandad shirts etc, it seems some people feel the need to rebel for the sake of it!

Must be like working in a school playground for the poor staff!

"Trainers" is an abbreviation for training shoes, which are shoes produced by sportswear companies for that purpose. Hugo Boss do not sell training shoes, they sell sneakers.

Oh dear.

Sneaker is a synonym for "athletic shoes," the generic name for the footwear primarily designed for sports or other forms of athletic activity. The term describes a type of footwear with a flexible sole made of rubber or synthetic material and an upper part made of leather or canvas. Examples include athletic footwear such as: basketball shoes, tennis shoes, cross trainers and other shoes worn for sports.

Sneakers is the more common term used in northeastern United States and southern Florida.[1] The British English equivalent of "sneaker" in its modern form is "trainer".

And that is the sort of people that p&o are attracting these days..enough said really!

Oh dear, I better cancel my upcoming two P&O cruises because I'm now 'that sort of people'.

I have a very respectable job and very reasonably paid. My wife runs her own successful business. I have a very respectable family, father a retired doctor of physics, mother a retired community midwife but.........

.........'I'm one of those people'.

How very sad.

:rolleyes:

Oh dear, I better cancel my upcoming two P&O cruises because I'm now 'that sort of people'.

I have a very respectable job and very reasonably paid. My wife runs her own successful business. I have a very respectable family, father a retired doctor of physics, mother a retired community midwife but.........

.........'I'm one of those people'.

How very sad.

:rolleyes:

So why would you want to wear trainers for dinner? Hilarious.

Oh dear.

Sneaker is a synonym for "athletic shoes," the generic name for the footwear primarily designed for sports or other forms of athletic activity. The term describes a type of footwear with a flexible sole made of rubber or synthetic material and an upper part made of leather or canvas. Examples include athletic footwear such as: basketball shoes, tennis shoes, cross trainers and other shoes worn for sports.

Sneakers is the more common term used in northeastern United States and southern Florida.[1] The British English equivalent of "sneaker" in its modern form is "trainer".

When I was a boy in the 1950s and 1960s we wore shoes of a similar style to the Converse basketball shoe, rubber sole and canvass top, which we called sneakers or (locally) pumps. Then in the late 1970s a fashion developed for wearing training shoes, shortened to trainers, which at that time tended to have black and white leather uppers. These were totally different in nature and appearances to the shoes we had been used to wearing, which continued to be referred to as pumps or sneakers. They still are. Trainers are trainers. Basketball shoes, tennis shoes - or for that matter football boots - are not, even though they are designed for "sports or other forms of athletic activity."

Edited by Denarius

Doesn't really matter. A Hugo Boss trainer/sneaker is still just that. IT'S NOT A SHOE. Doesn't matter how you word it or justify it by it's cost. It's not a shoe. Even the poster who said they wore such Hugo Boss footwear on the ship referred to them as trainers.

As per my other post, why put the P&O staff in a position? Why rebel and play the naughty school kid trying to get away with something non uniform?

If a junior waiter spots an issue or a passenger does and complains they refer it to a senior waiter who might ask the Maître D to intervene. What does this achieve? It takes 3 staff out of the busy dinner service to deal with someone who is just being a twit for the sake of it.