On-board booking advice

frawnsay

Will be cruising soon and needing advice for booking on board.

Already planned a 2015 cruise, but interested in a summer 2016 European cruise (either Baltics or Mediterranean). However, those cruise dates & itineraries won't be released when we cruise.

So, advice on planning a 2016 European cruise? :confused:

(A) book on board 2014 cruise and adjust date once 2016 dates are released (in reading the fine print, I believe there is no penalty/loss of perks: "Deposit may be cancelled or changed up to 90 days prior to Holiday sailings and 75 days for all other sailings")

(B) wait for 2016 dates to be released and book with whatever perk (PYP, 123Go!, Take 2, etc.)...I'm new to X, so is Take 2 reoccurring?

© wait for 2016 dates to be released and book ON BOARD our planned 2015 cruise

(D) wait until final payment for 2016 cruise dates and hope for availability

First, you just never know what perks they will be offering.

Next, when you transfer to a new cruise, sometimes you retain the perks you got, sometimes you don't. There is no way to know what the PTB's will decide to do and change next year when they release the summer 2016 sailings..

I am sailing in June on Equinox. I decided to wait until that sailing to book my February 2016 cruise. Recent reports say that they were offering a classic package when booking on board, and I didn't expect the prices to start changing much between release and mid-June, so I'm waiting.

I think, that were I in your shoes, I would wait until the 2016 sailings were announced, in March of 2015, before making a financial commitment. I would NOT book a holiday 2014 cruise, because the announcements for summer 2016 will not have been made yet. The last couple of years, they start releasing in late February or early March for the new season that is a little over a year away.

I'd book something while onboard and then switch the cruise when the new schedule comes out for Europe 2016. If you are interested in the beverage package promo, booking onboard may be the only way to receive it. Plus OBC. :) Not sure if that perk will ever be offered to the public again.

It's only $100pp deposit - refundable, so not much financial harm done.

I'd book something while onboard and then switch the cruise when the new schedule comes out for Europe 2016. If you are interested in the beverage package promo, booking onboard may be the only way to receive it. Plus OBC. :) Not sure if that perk will ever be offered to the public again.

It's only $100pp deposit - refundable, so not much financial harm done.

Yep that's what we did. We booked onboard an early Spring 2015 date to preserve the onboard benefits of Bev Package with extra OBC, then we transferred to early spring 2016 sailing when they came available.

Booking onboard we received lower deposit along with PYP and extra OBC plus benefits ARE transferable as long as qualifying rate is paid. You can also cancel with a full refund.

One thing to remember about booking onboard. The day you book is the day you make an initial deposit on any cruise ultimately chosen. While you may change the itinerary several times and maintain the perks, the initial deposit date does not change. This is important if you are purchasing trip insurance independently. Most policies require purchase within 21-30 days of deposit to insure for preexisting conditions. Sometimes the look at preexisting conditions includes family members, etc. that are not travelling with you. So, if this important to you make sure you take this into consideration.

One thing to remember about booking onboard. The day you book is the day you make an initial deposit on any cruise ultimately chosen. While you may change the itinerary several times and maintain the perks, the initial deposit date does not change. This is important if you are purchasing trip insurance independently. Most policies require purchase within 21-30 days of deposit to insure for preexisting conditions. Sometimes the look at preexisting conditions includes family members, etc. that are not travelling with you. So, if this important to you make sure you take this into consideration.
Good point to consider, which brings to mind another one.

If you want to transfer your booking to a travel agent are you locked into doing it within 60 days of making the initial onboard deposit, or do you get 60 days from the date you transfer the booking to the cruise you finally decide to take?

Many times a travel agent who is best for one cruise will not be the best choice for another.

If you want to transfer your booking to a travel agent are you locked into doing it within 60 days of making the initial onboard deposit, or do you get 60 days from the date you transfer the booking to the cruise you finally decide to take?

I had figured that *IF* I booked on board this spring/summer, I would transfer it back to our TA. Our TA could assist us in watching for the 2016 dates and help us with the transfer of dates, dealing with perks, etc.

Is this correct?

The day you book is the day you make an initial deposit on any cruise ultimately chosen. While you may change the itinerary several times and maintain the perks, the initial deposit date does not change.

I hadn't thought of this, so thank you! As mentioned in a previous post, *IF* booking on board, I would transfer the booking to our TA, who would most certainly recommend the insurance.

Is there a problem with buying the insurance and then switching the cruise date/itinerary? Or purchasing so far in advance (other than being *out* the money with your future vacation)?

I hadn't thought of this, so thank you! As mentioned in a previous post, *IF* booking on board, I would transfer the booking to our TA, who would most certainly recommend the insurance.

Is there a problem with buying the insurance and then switching the cruise date/itinerary? Or purchasing so far in advance (other than being *out* the money with your future vacation)?

Yes. Ask about your policy. Some companies will allow you to transfer the policy from one cruise to another 1 time. Others will not allow you to transfer at all. If you change the booking you lose your insurance money. This is why some of us don't buy insurance until final payment. Yes, that does mess up the "Pre-existing conditions" clause. If you need the pre-existing clause, you want to be very careful.

Yes, that does mess up the "Pre-existing conditions" clause. If you need the pre-existing clause, you want to be very careful.

Why would one need this? Is it related to medical reasons?

Wondering if because I don't know what it is means that it's not applicable to our situation. However, I would rather ask experienced cruisers than make a horrid error!

Why would one need this? Is it related to medical reasons?

Wondering if because I don't know what it is means that it's not applicable to our situation. However, I would rather ask experienced cruisers than make a horrid error!

Yes, it is normally related to a medical issue. However, depending on the policy it can apply to the ones cruising as well as immediate relatives.

I use mytripinsurancestore for help with policies. They have a great website and if you call you get to speak with a very informed rep.

We booked policies insuring our deposits only for our last onboard bookings. We can increase the amounts as we go forward and know the real costs and itinerary of our trips. Our parents are in their 80's and 90's so we need a policy that does not include a look back on their health issues. The policy we purchased allows one sailing date change.

When we were younger insurance did not seem important to us. However, that has changed with our age and with the increased costs of longer cruises that we tend to take now.

I am by no means an expert. These are just some of the issues that I have become aware of with time. Take advantage of the insurance agencies on line and asked them the questions.

Yes. Ask about your policy. Some companies will allow you to transfer the policy from one cruise to another 1 time. Others will not allow you to transfer at all. If you change the booking you lose your insurance money. This is why some of us don't buy insurance until final payment. Yes, that does mess up the "Pre-existing conditions" clause. If you need the pre-existing clause, you want to be very careful.

We buy CSA Luxe at final payment. Cost a little bit more, but includes Pre-existing conditions. We like that we can wait until final payment in case we decide to cancel or change the cruise.