Carnival vs. Royal Caribbean

I recently returned from our 12th cruise aboard Carnival. We are burnt out. Seems to be ok food, ok service and the "extras" are going away slowly. What is the difference in the two? Are the dining room dress codes enforced or not? Lots of people on this past cruise wore shorts and t-shirts to main dining supper.

I recently returned from our 12th cruise aboard Carnival. We are burnt out. Seems to be ok food, ok service and the "extras" are going away slowly. What is the difference in the two? Are the dining room dress codes enforced or not? Lots of people on this past cruise wore shorts and t-shirts to main dining supper.

Do a quick search, there are tons and tons of threads about Carnival vs Royal..

We gave Carnival a try a couple of years ago (Carnival Liberty) and had a definite preference towards RCCL ships and service. As far as dress code in the dining room, people were definitely dressed nicer on RCCL, but this is not to say that you will never see t-shirts and shorts in the dining room on a RCCL cruise, but it is certainly not the norm. Food is subjective, so I will not even give my opinion on this.

The thing that bothered us the most (especially since we cruise during the summer months) was that Carnival Liberty always felt crowded, especially at lunchtime in the buffet area. It was very hard to navigate the buffet and very difficult getting a table. We never experienced this on our RCCL cruises, but I do want to remind you that Carnival Liberty was our one and only Carnival cruise. We also didn't like how the food was separated into completely different areas. We purchased FTTF passes which was a lifesaver, especially for getting on the ship and getting off at the ports.

A pro for Carnival were the ports...this was the lifesaver for our Carnival Liberty cruise. All in all, we have never had a "bad" cruise, but we definitely lean towards RCCL. If we booked another Carnival cruise, it would definitely be for the ports! Our kids told us that they would never want to do Carnival again, so if we did give Carnival another try, it would have to be without them.

Sometimes you need to try something different and spice things up a bit. ;)

Edited by funfamilyof6

Here's a few of my opinions, your mileage may vary:

Carnival

Pros- Generally lower fares, better main dining room food, more festive atmosphere (especially the nightlife), free room service 24/7, self-service laundry

Cons- Ships tend to be more crowded, crappy past guest program, inferior cafeteria style buffet setup

Royal Caribbean

Pros- Beautiful and amazing ships, excellent past guest program with better benefits at the higher levels, better suite perks, better buffet setup, nicer pool deck layouts, adults-only Solarium with pools

Cons- Fares tend to be higher, less tasty dining room food compared to CCL, room service charge after midnight, no self service laundry

You would love the Royal Promenade on the Voyager, Freedom and Oasis class. You can't beat the amazing amenities and the excellent design of the ships. Its like, " there a 3500 people on the ship but where are they?"

I am completely Loyal to Royal!!!

Sent from my QMV7A using Forums mobile app

Edited by silver_cloud

Two cruises on Carnival and switched to RCCI. I think Carnival is trying to cut down to recoup from all the problems their ships had and all the free cruises they had to hand out!!! Somebody has to pay for it!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ummm, that's probably because that IS the dress code being enforced.

Cruise casual nights dress code- Gym or basketball shorts, flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans and men's sleeveless shirts are not allowed in the dining rooms.

Regular shorts (khakis, etc and t-shirts are A-OK! :D

We gave Carnival a try a couple of years ago (Carnival Liberty) and had a definite preference towards RCCL ships and service. As far as dress code in the dining room, people were definitely dressed nicer on RCCL, but this is not to say that you will never see t-shirts and shorts in the dining room on a RCCL cruise, but it is certainly not the norm. Food is subjective, so I will not even give my opinion on this.

The thing that bothered us the most (especially since we cruise during the summer months) was that Carnival Liberty always felt crowded, especially at lunchtime in the buffet area. It was very hard to navigate the buffet and very difficult getting a table. We never experienced this on our RCCL cruises, but I do want to remind you that Carnival Liberty was our one and only Carnival cruise. We also didn't like how the food was separated into completely different areas. We purchased FTTF passes which was a lifesaver, especially for getting on the ship and getting off at the ports.

A pro for Carnival were the ports...this was the lifesaver for our Carnival Liberty cruise. All in all, we have never had a "bad" cruise, but we definitely lean towards RCCL. If we booked another Carnival cruise, it would definitely be for the ports! Our kids told us that they would never want to do Carnival again, so if we did give Carnival another try, it would have to be without them.

Sometimes you need to try something different and spice things up a bit. ;)

Hey funfamilyof6! I tried to figure out how to send you a PM and couldn't figure out how, so forgive me for posting here in public. We just got off the Grandeur and are looking to our next cruise. Considering the Freedom in March, 2016. For $400 less than an OV cabin on FOS, we could get a balcony on Carnival Liberty. I'm particularly interested in hearing your thoughts given that you've sailed both in the past few years. I hear you to say the Liberty felt more crowded, and others say the food in the MDR is better on Carnival. My boys will be 11 and 12 by this time and the itineraries are quite similar, both desirable to us. Is the Freedom really worth skipping the balcony and paying a bit more? Thanks!

Edited by sharse

We've sailed four different cruise lines and enjoyed every single ship. Step outside your comfort zone and go for it. You may decide you'd rather stick with Carnival but you'll never know until you try it. ;)

I am so sick of this complaint.

Does your food taste different because the person next to you is wearing a t-shirt?

Come on, people.

I personally do NOT want to go on vacation and dress up for dinner.

I am on vacation.

If you do, knock yourself out.

But, I cannot, for the life of me, understand how the way I am dressed, effects your dining experience.

We have done cruises from Princess; Carnival. Royal and MCS...

a cruise is what you make out it.. sort of like making lemonaid out of lemons.

However I did find many cuts backs on our last couple of Carnival...

don't know if other lines are doing the same.

A week at sea is better than a week at work..:D

Cathy

I am so sick of this complaint.

Does your food taste different because the person next to you is wearing a t-shirt?

Come on, people.

I personally do NOT want to go on vacation and dress up for dinner.

I am on vacation.

If you do, knock yourself out.

But, I cannot, for the life of me, understand how the way I am dressed, effects your dining experience.

It's about "respecting" the suggested dress code for the evening and "respecting" your fellow guests. Some get it and unfortunately some don't. :rolleyes:

OP the ships of RCI is reason enough to try RCI. Night and day difference.

Edited by cruisingator2

It's about "respecting" the suggested dress code for the evening and "respecting" your fellow guests. Some get it and unfortunately some don't. :rolleyes:

OP the ships of RCI is reason enough to try RCI. Night and day difference.

Oh, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease.......

Are you honestly trying to say that ALL passengers on RCI follow the dress code?

Nice try.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

LOL... I see from your previous cruises that you would not understand.;)

I go between the two boards.

I have read PLENTY of complaints about the same thing happening on RCI.

I am sure it happens on ALL cruise lines.

I think dress codes are enforced more on Royal. For example, on a Carnival ship, you can go into the Lido Restaurant wearing a swimsuit top and shorts, no coverups. On Royal a few weeks ago, you didn't see that. You had to have a shirt/tank top/cover up on in there.

As far as the dining room attire goes, it seems like people were dressed fine to me, but I'm pretty chill in how I dress and don't care much.

I think you should try Royal Caribbean... if you don't like it go back to Carnival. We did a Carnival Cruise last November because it was cheaper and we wanted a balcony, but now we'd rather do a Royal Caribbean in an interior room... we just liked it way better. With RC's excellent loyalty program, I doubt we go back on Carnival as we now want to build loyalty with RC.