Carnival vs. Royal Caribbean

No it doesn't but I can see how you would not understand. ;)

How old are you?

5?:rolleyes:

You are naïve if you think everyone follows the dress code on RCI.

Or just a HUGE cheerleader.:rolleyes:

Enjoy.

Edited by KPfromCT

How old are you?

5?:rolleyes:

You are naïve if you think people don't follow the dress code on RCI.

Or just a HUGE cheerleader.:rolleyes:

Enjoy.

You missed the entire point which I'm not surprised. My first post was in response to your post. Went right over your head. Swoosh! LOL....

By the way, not a cheerleader. Just someone that believes in respecting my fellow guests.

Edited by cruisingator2

You missed the entire point which I'm not surprised. My first post was in response to your post. Went right over your head. Swoosh! LOL....

By the way, not a cheerleader. Just someone that believes in respecting my fellow guests.

Well, I guess you are just WAY too intelligent for me.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

No worries. I respect my fellow cruisers.

Not sure if you are a male or a female, but you enjoy getting all decked out in your tux/ball gown.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

I know I will.:D

Well, I guess you are just WAY too intelligent for me.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

No worries. I respect my fellow cruisers.

Not sure if you are a male or a female, but you enjoy getting all decked out in your tux/ball gown.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

I know I will.:D

Actually we haven't dressed in formal in over ten years. With that said we "respect" the dress code. On formal nights we book specialty dining where the dress code is smart casual. There have been times that we have dined in the Windjammer. For those that go to the trouble of dressing to the suggested dress code they deserve the right to enjoy the evening without having those next to them looking like they came from the local frat house. Simple when you think about it. Of course there are some who only care about themselves and no one else. ;)

Edited by cruisingator2

Hey funfamilyof6! I tried to figure out how to send you a PM and couldn't figure out how, so forgive me for posting here in public. We just got off the Grandeur and are looking to our next cruise. Considering the Freedom in March, 2016. For $400 less than an OV cabin on FOS, we could get a balcony on Carnival Liberty. I'm particularly interested in hearing your thoughts given that you've sailed both in the past few years. I hear you to say the Liberty felt more crowded, and others say the food in the MDR is better on Carnival. My boys will be 11 and 12 by this time and the itineraries are quite similar, both desirable to us. Is the Freedom really worth skipping the balcony and paying a bit more? Thanks!

I don't think you can PM on Cruise Critic.

We almost always get oceanviews on our RCCL cruises. With Carnival, it was so much cheaper that we were able to get a balcony and still saved over $1000 getting the balcony compared to what we spend with RCCL (we usually get 2 cabins). With all that being send, we rarely use our balcony so not getting a balcony isn't a big deal for us.

I personally would choose the FOS. If getting a balcony is a big part of your cruise experience, then the Liberty would probably be a better way to go for you. If crowds bother you then definitely choose FOS. Only you know the answer to this!

As far as food goes, our family personally likes RCCL's better. I find it amazing when I read that people like Carnival's food better. But this is why I didn't want to touch the food topic because this is truly a very opinionated topic. The food was one of the main reasons our teens did not like Carnival. They especially missed RCCL's pizza. They hated Carnival's pizza so much that they would not even eat it and that says a lot LOL! Carnival's pizza was really crunchy (burnt in some areas). Our kids also really like the promenade area on FOS which Carnival lacks.

If you have any other question please feel free to ask! :)

We are fans of both lines, but with a major caveat. I always try to choose the newest ships and an itiniteray of 7 days or more.

We sailed on the Jewel a few years ago, and were not impressed with the food. However, after sailing on the Oasis, we were very impressed with the food and its presentation.

A ship like the Oasis is something everyone should experience at least once....outstanding entertainment, amazing layout, everything just perfect.

Regarding dress code in the dining room of the Oasis......shorts and tee shirts were allowed, even though pants were suggested. No one said anything to these passengers, and it really didn't make any difference to us.

So.....try different cruise lines and find one that suits your lifestyle!!

I was an avid RCCL fan but price speaks for our family. I was surprised to find both lines very similar in the overall experience. RCCL does have more innovative ships than what I was on on Carnival but the cruise experience is all but the same. There were people who honored the dress code and those that didn't. I have seen people turned away from dining rooms on both lines. I do think you should try a newer RCCL ship and see if the amenities perk up a waning interest in cruising. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hey funfamilyof6! I tried to figure out how to send you a PM and couldn't figure out how, so forgive me for posting here in public. We just got off the Grandeur and are looking to our next cruise. Considering the Freedom in March, 2016. For $400 less than an OV cabin on FOS, we could get a balcony on Carnival Liberty. I'm particularly interested in hearing your thoughts given that you've sailed both in the past few years. I hear you to say the Liberty felt more crowded, and others say the food in the MDR is better on Carnival. My boys will be 11 and 12 by this time and the itineraries are quite similar, both desirable to us. Is the Freedom really worth skipping the balcony and paying a bit more? Thanks!

I am taking my first RC cruise next May and know almost nothing about RC but I have sailed 8 time on Carnival and loved everyone of my cruises. The food was very good, the service was also good and above. The rooms are good size thought I never stayed in a suite but have sailed in thei corner aft balconies and you just can't beat them. I never had a problem finding something to do but then again I wouldn't be using the rock wall or flow rider unless I wanted to break a hip. There are many bar and nightclubs on the ships especially the larger ships or lots of little nooks and crannies to hide away by yourself to just read or get away form all the crowds. I don't know if this has helped you but I could talk for a long time about Carnival and tell you how much I enjoy the line but in the end it is you who will have to decide. But hey you only live once and variety is suppose to be the spice of life, go for it, it can't be that bad of an experience. Linda :)

I am so sick of this complaint.

Does your food taste different because the person next to you is wearing a t-shirt?

Come on, people.

I personally do NOT want to go on vacation and dress up for dinner.

I am on vacation.

If you do, knock yourself out.

But, I cannot, for the life of me, understand how the way I am dressed, effects your dining experience.

It does affect people if they are expecting a certain kind of mood or ambience for the evening. If you are going to have a formal evening then everything needs to complement one another......the setting/decorations, the food, the music, and dress. It kills the desired mood you are trying to accomplish or desire when someone shows up in cut offs or a sleeveless T. People should just respect the dress codes established by the cruise line and if they don't like it then they have more casual options available to them. Maybe Royal Caribbean needs to have certain ships or sailings available for people who still prefer the traditional cruising etiquette of the past vs. ones for people who just want the always casual lifestyle when on vacation. It's just a matter of personal preference and cruising style.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I recently returned from our 12th cruise aboard Carnival. We are burnt out. Seems to be ok food, ok service and the "extras" are going away slowly. What is the difference in the two? Are the dining room dress codes enforced or not? Lots of people on this past cruise wore shorts and t-shirts to main dining supper.

I am also venturing out into different waters, need a change. I am going solo in January 2015 on the Vision. We have been on the Majesty back in 2008. Looking forward to a new adventure.

I've been on many Carnival cruises and Royal. Since we started Royal, we haven't gone back to Carnival. We've tried Disney and PRincess, but Royal still is our favorite!

I think the food is very subjective. When we used to cruise Carnival, I enjoyed their mdr food and shows. But for me, it's more about the ship. Royal has fine food and some good shows as well.

The worst Carnival ship for me hands down was the Liberty. Hated the layout and that why it was always felt crowded in areas.

The Royal ships are classier and found they do adhere more to the dress code. You won't find every single person on Royal wear what is recommended to the mdr, but most. Carnival was a free for all. Many dress down in the mdr. Just what I observed. Didn't bother me, some it would. Not going to let that stuff ruin my cruise.

Found Carnivals cabins not as nice either. Plastic couches vs upholstered ones. Maybe that's changed. Just cheaper everything on Carnival.

Only you know what's important to you. Love the feel and looks of the Royal ships...a good balance of classy and fun as I always say. Carnival had a few too many partiers for my taste...just me.

Try a Royal ship and see if it's right for you. To me, there's no comparison.

I wouldn't cruise in any cabin unless it was a balcony. So to me, yes, worth paying more for it.

We've done the Freedom class as well on Royal, so can compare the two.

Up for you to decide :) ...what do you have to lose? You will have a fantastic cruise!!

We are new to RCCL and are taking our first cruise in 10 days. What exactly is the dress code for the MDR? Are a nice pair of cargo shorts and a polo acceptable for non formal nights?

We are new to RCCL and are taking our first cruise in 10 days. What exactly is the dress code for the MDR? Are a nice pair of cargo shorts and a polo acceptable for non formal nights?

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqId=255

I was a semi-loyal Carnival cruiser. On the last couple of voyages I had some similar experience but, mine was because of the rowdy party people next to me that kept body slamming each other into the walls. Carnival could not do much to control them. They tried but were not very effective.

Then when they redid the Carnival Loyalty program and started to remove my perks, I looked elsewhere. I sailed on RCCL in the past, They are more expensive but, my next cruise will be on RCCL and not Carnival.

[quote name='KPfromCT']I am so sick of this complaint.
Does your food taste different because the person next to you is wearing a t-shirt?
Come on, people.
I am on vacation.
But, I cannot, for the life of me, understand how the way I am dressed, effects your dining experience.[/quote]
My thoughts exactly

I just got back from my very first cruise on the Carnival Paradise. We are booked on the Allure of the Seas in November.

I don't understand why the dress code is such a hot topic- I can wear shorts and a nice top and look very clean and polished. I wouldn't wear tank tops or basketball shorts in the MDR or any other nice restaurant either.

Is it specifically shorts that are offensive? Or people thinking the rules don't apply to them? Both?

My vacation would not be ruined if the person next to be on the Allure was wearing shorts. I honestly just don't get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

[quote name='Jenhem31']Is it specifically shorts that are offensive? Or people thinking the rules don't apply to them? Both?[/QUOTE]

I'm just a little jealous that they got away with it and I didn't. :D

[quote name='KPfromCT']I am so sick of this complaint.
Come on, people.
I am on vacation.
But, I cannot, for the life of me, understand how the way I am dressed, effects your dining experience.[/quote]

Fine, but it might smell different because some slob in a tank top and basketball shorts shows up (it's happened).

It's called manners and being considerate of others - how to behave in public given the request of the line (who offer alternatives to those who'd differ), pretty basic stuff and no, I don't want to dress up a whole lot either but there is definitely a limit. Edited by pspercy