Taking passports ashore

We are doing the Highlights of the Med cruise in June. I'm sure I've seen somewhere that we need to take our passports when we visit some of the ports?

I don't like to carry my passport unless I really need too. We do take a copy around with us. Does anyone know if we need to take them at cittivechia (for Rome), Livorno st Raphael and Barcelona. Thank you

We are doing the Highlights of the Med cruise in June. I'm sure I've seen somewhere that we need to take our passports when we visit some of the ports?

I don't like to carry my passport unless I really need too. We do take a copy around with us. Does anyone know if we need to take them at cittivechia (for Rome), Livorno st Raphael and Barcelona. Thank you

Not absolutely sure but don't remember needing to for those ports. However, if you are required to take passports ashore, the Cruise News will inform you the previous night. Good idea though to take a copy with you as a matter of course at all ports.

Edited by kruzseeka

I visited each of these ports last September via Thomson and it was not necessary to carry passport off ship. As you know your on the universal passport that the ship supplies, all you need is your card (the same card for purchases and room key) this you show when re-boarding and that acts as your 'passport'. So passport can stay in your safe till end of your trip.

Just back yesterday from the Med and you need your original passport at all Italian ports of call, they won't accept a copy! If a policeman stops you and you can't produce your passport you can be fined. At Venice you had to go through a mini customs in the port building and show passport and cruise card, and handbags went through a scanner and then again at the ships entrance. They seem quite strict this year.

Just back yesterday from the Med and you need your original passport at all Italian ports of call, they won't accept a copy! If a policeman stops you and you can't produce your passport you can be fined. At Venice you had to go through a mini customs in the port building and show passport and cruise card, and handbags went through a scanner and then again at the ships entrance. They seem quite strict this year.

Gosh - it does seem that they have increased the security. Thanks for that update. I don't think we'd ever had to do that before in Italy. :eek: Definitely worth knowing!

I had heard of people being carted off to police stations in Italy if they hadn't got a validated train ticket and couldn't pay the on the spot fine (no matter that you'd only just arrived in the city on your cruise so clearly you had bought your ticket on that day and just overlooked stamping it in the machine). So clearly they can be rather unforgiving so it's important not to risk falling foul of their regs.

All the more necessary to keep a close eye out for the Cruise News alerts!

Edited by kruzseeka

Legally everyone - including tourists - has to carry some form of ID here in Spain. If you are stopped by any of the authorities you have to produce either a Driving Licence with photo, your Passport or a notarised copy of your Passport; an ordinary photocopy is not usually accepted but would be better than nothing. We saw one couple on our last cruise stopped when walking through the port into Barcelona and they had to return to the ship for their pasports; we spoke to the Guardia officer and he said that they spot check around a dozen people a day off cruise ships in port (not off every boat). Worth making sure that you carry your driving licence if you are uneasy about carrying your passports or get a notarised copy of your passport made - costs under a tenner here so probably a similar cost from a solicitor in the UK.

Edited by campolady

Legally everyone - including tourists - has to carry some form of ID here in Spain. If you are stopped by any of the authorities you have to produce either a Driving Licence with photo, your Passport or a notarised copy of your Passport; an ordinary photocopy is not usually accepted but would be better than nothing. We saw one couple on our last cruise stopped when walking through the port into Barcelona and they had to return to the ship for their pasports; we spoke to the Guardia officer and he said that they spot check around a dozen people a day off cruise ships in port (not off every boat). Worth making sure that you carry your driving licence if you are uneasy about carrying your passports or get a notarised copy of your passport made - costs under a tenner here so probably a similar cost from a solicitor in the UK.

Thank you campolady. That's very useful to know too. I do usually carry my driving licence but had no idea that they checked your ID albeit randomly. Could be a real inconvenience if you were rushing to get a bus/train and had to go back to the ship.

Well aprilfool, from asking what I thought was a fairly easy question to answer, you've certainly prompted some very informative replies! Just shows how valuable the Forum can be to keep up to date with the current situation and how helpful our fellow posters are! :) Thanks all - definitely learned something today! ;)

Edited by kruzseeka

I visited each of these ports last September via Thomson and it was not necessary to carry passport off ship. As you know your on the universal passport that the ship supplies, all you need is your card (the same card for purchases and room key) this you show when re-boarding and that acts as your 'passport'. So passport can stay in your safe till end of your trip.

I'm not familiar with "universal passports" -didn't know there was such a thing tbh.

Group passports were available by schools and youth groups etc., for collective foreign travel - not sure if they are still in use these days, probably not ?

Many countries (including EU states) issue national ID cards and their citizens are obliged to carry them at all times - so, presumably, the same principle would apply to visiting foreigners.

We are not long back back from Turkey where visitors are required to carry photo ID at all times. How rigorously that is enforced is another matter.

Better to have it and not need it, than vice versa.

I can't see how a cabin card has any official status anywhere ashore.

Best to check with ship's customer services desk as to what form of ID (if any) is required for any specific country.

Edited by WeeCountyMan
update info

I seem to have opened a can of worms here! It now begs another question what is the best way of carrying things securely when in big cities . I have heard of something called PAC Safe - has anyone any experience of these?

For the weecountyman .... >> I'm not familiar with "universal passports" -didn't know there was such a thing tbh.

Group passports were available by schools and youth groups etc <<

Definition of Universal is 'existing everywhere or including everyone' hence a universal passport or group passport are the same !

"Definition of Universal is 'existing everywhere or including everyone' hence a universal passport or group passport are the same !"

https://www.gov.uk/collective-group-passports

This is the official UK government group passport - not for adults or collectives over 50 in number.

Is there another version applicable to cruise ships ?

I carry my passport and money in a small handbag that zips across the top and has a long handle to carry 'bus conductor' style. Hope this helps. Interesting thread though....

Likewise dronnygirl - I use a Kipling bag which is lightweight, has a cross the body strap and also has multiple zipped pockets (depending on style). I've found them really good - there are quite of lot of similar styles and brands now but they weren't so common when I first spotted one. I find it ideal but make sure it's lying infront of me in busy/crowded places.

Edited by kruzseeka

I'm not familiar with "universal passports" -didn't know there was such a thing tbh.

Group passports were available by schools and youth groups etc., for collective foreign travel - not sure if they are still in use these days, probably not ?

Many countries (including EU states) issue national ID cards and their citizens are obliged to carry them at all times - so, presumably, the same principle would apply to visiting foreigners.

We are not long back back from Turkey where visitors are required to carry photo ID at all times. How rigorously that is enforced is another matter.

Better to have it and not need it, than vice versa.

I can't see how a cabin card has any official status anywhere ashore.

Best to check with ship's customer services desk as to what form of ID (if any) is required for any specific country.

On a recent Spirit cruise we had 2 stops in Turkey, 1 in Crete and 2 in Israel. We could not have taken our passports on shore in Turkey as they were handed in at embarkation in Cyprus and not given back until we had our 'face to face' interviews with Israeli immigration on our last 2 ports. :eek:

Just as well we were not asked for any photo ID. Maybe I should take my bus pass next time! :eek::D

And what do we do with our passports on the beach in Spain? :rolleyes:

"And what do we do with our passports on the beach in Spain? :rolleyes:"

I'm not going there !!!

We go to Spain (or the Canaries) regularly and have done so for many years - on arrival the immigration desk officers casually wave you through with hardly even a glance at passports.

"And what do we do with our passports on the beach in Spain? :rolleyes:"

I'm not going there !!!

We go to Spain (or the Canaries) regularly and have done so for many years - on arrival the immigration desk officers casually wave you through with hardly even a glance at passports.

I only told you what the Spanish law says- that everyone (tourists included) carries an acceptable form of ID at all times. It would be totally foolhardy to suggest that anyone takes their passport to the beach - or carries it about at all; as I said, a driving licence or official copy of a passport is just as acceptable or, for most Europeans, an ID card. Anyway, I give up - whats the point of trying to help when you only get sarcastic responses.

Edited by campolady

I wasn't being sarcastic - apologies if you interpreted it that way.

No need to apologise WeeCountyMan. I am sorry for misinterpreting your post.

Edited by campolady

I only told you what the Spanish law says- that everyone (tourists included) carries an acceptable form of ID at all times.

When I worked in Switzerland (many many years ago), we were told by the British Consulate that in (almost) all European countries it was a legal requirement to carry a goverment issued IDENTITY document at all times, and that in this context a driving licence (even with a photo) was not considered an identity document. So we were advised that we needed to carry our UK passports all the time.

I know the UK driving licences didn't have a photo at that time, but I also had a Swiss licence which did have a photo, but that on its own wasn't sufficient.

Things might well have changed about the requirement to carry an identity document since then, but I doubt it.

When I worked in Switzerland (many many years ago), we were told by the British Consulate that in (almost) all European countries it was a legal requirement to carry a goverment issued IDENTITY document at all times, and that in this context a driving licence (even with a photo) was not considered an identity document. So we were advised that we needed to carry our UK passports all the time.

I know the UK driving licences didn't have a photo at that time, but I also had a Swiss licence which did have a photo, but that on its own wasn't sufficient.

Things might well have changed about the requirement to carry an identity document since then, but I doubt it.

I think you are correct.

Taking Spain as an example, HM Government website advice is for a passport, a driving licence is not listed.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain/local-laws-and-customs

That is probably (?) the precise letter of Spanish Law - but in practice a driving licence is acceptable to the police as Campolady stated.

Incidentally, does Switzerland not issue foreign workers/residents like yourself with a special form of national ID card ?

They do in Spain.

I think you are correct.

Taking Spain as an example, HM Government website advice is for a passport, a driving licence is not listed.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain/local-laws-and-customs

That is probably (?) the precise letter of Spanish Law - but in practice a driving licence is acceptable to the police as Campolady stated.

Incidentally, does Switzerland not issue foreign workers/residents like yourself with a special form of national ID card ?

They do in Spain.

You are correct WeeCountyMan - as per FO info driving licences are not officially acceptable but I personally have never known a local Police Officer to refuse to accept one from a tourist (of course you may always find the odd 'Jobs Worth' official who will stick to the letter of the law in any country); most places here will also accept a photo driving licence as ID when paying for shopping etc. by credit card as well as a passport.

For residents - native or ex-pat - a driving licence is insufficient ID so we carry our Residencia card and a notarised copy of our Passport.

No, not that I recall, but I was working for an international organisation rather than a firm.