How long prior to Flight out should you be at Anchorage Airport?

tlcoke

According to the airport's website it suggest arriving at the airport 2 hours prior for outgoing flights to the lower 48 states, my co-traveler thinks we can arrive 1 1/2 hours prior to flight time and be ok. We both have evening flights out with the first departure at 8:30 pm and another leaving at 9:25 pm, and I want to make sure that we allow ample time to return our rental car and check in for our flight and move through security checkpoints.

I am thinking that the Anchorage airport will be similar to flying out of Honolulu where the evening is crunch time for all departing flights and it will be normal to find several hundreds of people in line waiting to check-in for their flights and getting through security, since the majority of all outbound flights to the lower 48 leave in the evening hours.

I am thinking we need to get to the airport around 6:00 pm to return the rental car and transfer to the airport for flight check-in. My co-traveler is suggesting not getting to the airport until 7pm for an 8:30 departure.

I would think that giving yourself 90 minutes to return a rental car and get through security would not be long enough. Are you checking bags? Then add a stop at the ticket counter.

Since you're talking about only an hour (arriving at 6:00pm vs 7:00pm), I'd opt for the 6:00pm any day. The stress of being worried is not worth an hour of your time.

Plan to drop off the car at 6:00pm. That way, if you encounter any delays along the way, you won't panic.

According to the airport's website it suggest arriving at the airport 2 hours prior for outgoing flights to the lower 48 states, my co-traveler thinks we can arrive 1 1/2 hours prior to flight time and be ok. We both have evening flights out with the first departure at 8:30 pm and another leaving at 9:25 pm, and I want to make sure that we allow ample time to return our rental car and check in for our flight and move through security checkpoints.

I am thinking that the Anchorage airport will be similar to flying out of Honolulu where the evening is crunch time for all departing flights and it will be normal to find several hundreds of people in line waiting to check-in for their flights and getting through security, since the majority of all outbound flights to the lower 48 leave in the evening hours.

I am thinking we need to get to the airport around 6:00 pm to return the rental car and transfer to the airport for flight check-in. My co-traveler is suggesting not getting to the airport until 7pm for an 8:30 departure.

I recommend 2 hours prior. It is a congested airport with all kinds and "stuff" traveling- takes more time to get through security. So your 6pm time could be 6:15p for the parking and drop off, then you'll be at the 2 hour window. From the car drop off, there is a whole line of regional artwork to take a look at and all kinds of exhibits all over the airport, so something to keep your interest perhaps if you end up with a lot of time. There is NO way to predict how long you could be tied up in lines. Better to be early than late. :)

Here's how I would personally do it...

Pull up on the curb at 6:25. The traveler who departs at 8:30 hops out, grabs their bags and heads to check in. The other traveler does the loop and returns the car and heads to check in. You can meet back up on the other side of security.

That way everyone gets to enjoy every minute. On the upper level of the C concourse you'll find a great display of Alaska Native artwork.

http://dot.state.ak.us/anc/travelerInfo/passengerSrvcs.shtml

There's also dining options on the other side of security.

Your departure will be during one of the less congested times but even then a 7pm arrival gives you very little room if something comes up. You’re also traveling during fishing season with lots of baggage to be checked and screened. People with overweight bags repack delaying everyone.

We had an evening flight (Late June) and the Anchorage airport was surprisingly deserted. I had read how crowded it could be in summer, so was pleasantly surprised. After dropping the car off, we probably checked our luggage, went through security and were at our gate in less than a half hour. However, if I were to go again, we would allow two hours again. I am never comfortable cutting it close. No one can predict what an airport will be like on a particular day. I am much more comfortable knowing I am where I need to be. I always have something to keep me busy, so waiting is no big deal. It sounds like your co-traveler is like some of my friends. They like to cut it as close as possible. I just don't like that stress. They get stressed sitting around and waiting, while I get stressed no knowing if I will make it on time. Different strokes for different folks.

We had an evening flight (Late June) and the Anchorage airport was surprisingly deserted. I had read how crowded it could be in summer, so was pleasantly surprised. After dropping the car off, we probably checked our luggage, went through security and were at our gate in less than a half hour. However, if I were to go again, we would allow two hours again. I am never comfortable cutting it close. No one can predict what an airport will be like on a particular day. I am much more comfortable knowing I am where I need to be. I always have something to keep me busy, so waiting is no big deal. It sounds like your co-traveler is like some of my friends. They like to cut it as close as possible. I just don't like that stress. They get stressed sitting around and waiting, while I get stressed no knowing if I will make it on time. Different strokes for different folks.

I can't agree more. I would rather be 30 minutes early than 5 minutes late!

If you are flying first class and/or have elite status with an airline, I would say 90 minutes before departure is fine because you can avoid the long economy class check in line and the long main security line. Otherwise, I also suggest arriving 2 hours before departure.

Any idea how far Hertz is from the terminal? Easy to walk with luggage?

All the airport car rental drop offs (that are AT the airport) are all walkable to the terminal. Clear signage directing you.