Cruise Director

cocod08

As solo travelers do you introduce yourself to the cruise director? And if you do what do you hope they can do for you? Help with seating? meeting other solos? Just curious as I have seen this mentioned in other threads.

Hi:)...after sailing the same the cruiseline many times over of the years

I do see staff and crew I have sailed with before:D and the CD may

be one of those people...but I don't expect them to and I would not

ask them to do anything for me. Actually the CD has nothing to do

with dining room seating......that would be the Maitr'd. If you want

to be seated with other solos? Speak with him/her about it.

As for meeting other solo cruisers? That has never been important

to me. I don't care one way or the other to be honest. I cruise for me.:)

Friendly folks make a bigger difference to me.......I don' t care what

their marital status happens to be.

The idea never occurred to me. I don't expect or want any treatment different than anyone else on the ship, whether part of a couple or a family group.

I totally agree. The fact that I am a solo is my business and nobody elses! :-)

Back to the question at hand, I once ran into the cruise director in the buffet line. Had a two-sentence conversation with him (he was a character!) but that didn't alter my life for better or worse in any way.

On the NCL ships with Studio Cabins they actually have a member of the cruise staff assigned to solo travelers. They are the person that hosts the solo traveler's gathering every night and sometimes arranges other activities for the group, if people are interested. Our guy on the Breakaway last week was awesome, and I actually stopped the Cruise Director one night to pass on my personal compliments (I also filled out a Vacation Hero card).

Like the others have said I've never introduced myself to the CD or anyone else to gain a benefit. I would say "Hi" if I passed them on the ship. On some of the ships I've been on members of the Entertainments team have chatted to me, found out I was on my own & then made a point of saying hello throughout the cruise (or roped me into a quiz team, or even dragged me onto the dance floor). Ok they are paid to do that, but it's nice that someone bothers sometimes. I've had similar experiences with the social hostess, who has hosted the solos lunch. I've also chatted to members of the crew in the late bar more than once. Sometimes they want to know, sometimes you can tell they are off duty so I leave them be. The ones who are interested will let you know and be an extra friend if you see them around. Being friends with the crew is not a big part of the cruise for me, but it's often nice if it happens, and in any case it never does any harm to be pleasant with people around you.

Edited by GaryT-UK

On the NCL ships with Studio Cabins they actually have a member of the cruise staff assigned to solo travelers. They are the person that hosts the solo traveler's gathering every night and sometimes arranges other activities for the group, if people are interested. Our guy on the Breakaway last week was awesome, and I actually stopped the Cruise Director one night to pass on my personal compliments (I also filled out a Vacation Hero card).

I'm on the Breakaway on Sunday! Think it'll be the same guy?

Maybeline, I think so! His name is Jovan and he's from Serbia. He had just started hosting the solo travelers when I was board, so I imagine he'll be doing it for a few weeks, at least. Tell him Nancy said hi!

• 4 weeks later...