Surprise anniversary cruise suggestions.

My wife and I will be celebrating our 30th anniversary in January of 2016 and I'm looking for some suggestions as to what to do.

I am planning on surprising her again (4th time) with another cruise but we would like to try something different this time.

We've been to the Caribbean a number of times and have done a 14 day Alaskan Cruise/Tour (all mostly on RCCL).

We are more in favor of the "tropical" scene (warm weather, palm trees, lush vegetation, you know, the Caribbean). And since I want to be in St. Somewhere on our anniversary, an Alaskan cruise is out of the question (January :eek:).

So here are my thoughts (with concerns). Any comments, suggestions, experiences will be greatly appreciated.

1) Australia/New Zealand (Tasmania, etc) - Looks real appealing but is there really that much to see and WOW, a 22+ hour flight from the midwest to Sydney, AU and 22+ hours back (talk about tired butt syndrome on the plane [both ways]).

2) Europe - Looks like these cruises focus a lot on history, old buildings, etc. We've seen pictures, documentaries, etc. on these areas and would love to see them but is 1 day in a port enough time to visit and explore what they have to offer? Plus, from what we've seen, not very "tropical".

3) South America - Really looks appealing, but we know absolutely nothing on what's there and what to expect or if it would even appeal to us.

4) Panama Canal - I'm guessing this would definitely be "tropical" but to me, seems a little boring.

Like I said, ANY comments, suggestion or experiences will be helpful and greatly appreciated.

This might be a long shot but if there is a port of call that would happen to be the same place as your honeymoon that would make that itinerary special as a surprise.

I surprised my wife on our 10th with a cruise, which started us in cruising. We also went on our 30th on a Bermuda cruise, which happened to be where we went on our honeymoon. In our case it worked, which is why mention the idea.

This might be a long shot but if there is a port of call that would happen to be the same place as your honeymoon that would make that itinerary special as a surprise.

I surprised my wife on our 10th with a cruise, which started us in cruising. We also went on our 30th on a Bermuda cruise, which happened to be where we went on our honeymoon. In our case it worked, which is why mention the idea.

Your idea made me laugh.

Due to work schedules, our honeymoon was in........ (wait for it).........Lincoln, Nebraska.

Maybe if there was a cruise ship that sailed the Missouri River.

Great idea, just wouldn't work for me. Thanks

My wife and I will be celebrating our 30th anniversary in January of 2016 and I'm looking for some suggestions as to what to do.

I am planning on surprising her again (4th time) with another cruise but we would like to try something different this time.

We've been to the Caribbean a number of times and have done a 14 day Alaskan Cruise/Tour (all mostly on RCCL).

We are more in favor of the "tropical" scene (warm weather, palm trees, lush vegetation, you know, the Caribbean). And since I want to be in St. Somewhere on our anniversary, an Alaskan cruise is out of the question (January :eek:).

So here are my thoughts (with concerns). Any comments, suggestions, experiences will be greatly appreciated.

1) Australia/New Zealand (Tasmania, etc) - Looks real appealing but is there really that much to see and WOW, a 22+ hour flight from the midwest to Sydney, AU and 22+ hours back (talk about tired butt syndrome on the plane [both ways]).

2) Europe - Looks like these cruises focus a lot on history, old buildings, etc. We've seen pictures, documentaries, etc. on these areas and would love to see them but is 1 day in a port enough time to visit and explore what they have to offer? Plus, from what we've seen, not very "tropical".

3) South America - Really looks appealing, but we know absolutely nothing on what's there and what to expect or if it would even appeal to us.

4) Panama Canal - I'm guessing this would definitely be "tropical" but to me, seems a little boring.

Like I said, ANY comments, suggestion or experiences will be helpful and greatly appreciated.

Europe is great for spring, summer or fall. I don't think they sail in January. I would opt for South America. It's on my bucket list.

What not hop over to the ports of call and check out what others have to day.

Whatever you decide, Happy Anniversary!

The Panama Canal isn't boring...read up on it! There are usually some other good ports! I would do a partial canal transit, if you can find one, so that you can stay in the Caribbean area. It's simply a different area of the Caribbean than most standard ports.

As far as your other options, read up on those places before you make your decision! Some of the S.A. ports require visas...a pain! A bit of knowledge sure goes a LOOOOONG way!

Edited by cb at sea

Congrats on 30! And what a lucky wife! I admire your advance planning and the surprise factor...for the 4th time!

My husband knows a full Panama Canal transit is on my bucket list--plenty of fun-in-the-sun and the canal marvel as a bonus (it's 100 this year!), plus a little Florida and California on either end.

Sticking with RCI, we loved our 7-night Brazilian immersion cruise with a highlight 2-day stop in Buenos Aires. You can combine it with some time in Rio and a trip to the amazing Iguazu Falls. But it's not for everyone, and there would be more sight seeing than beach lazing. If you are intrigued at all, here is the quick and dirty website I built to memorialize that trip: https://sites.google.com/site/splendourbrazil/

Staying under the RCI umbrella, Celebrity does the "around the Horn" South American trips...also on my bucket list!...featuring a mix of warm weather sightseeing (e.g., Buenos Aires) and icy fjords and penguins. But more to your dream trip, Celebrity offers some really nice Southern Carib itineraries in Jan. 2016. And Azamara has one, too. I think both of their So Carib "exotics" offer a bit more than RCI can and may feel more "special" for your milestone celebration.

And there's also Hawaii!!!! Less "butt time" than going to the South Pacific, but same flavor,, and always fabulous.

Whatever you choose, I know your wife will be thrilled! And think of how far you've come from those sweet days in Lincoln!!!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by Artemis

We did an around the horn cruise on HAL's Zaandam this past December/ January. It was fabulous. There are several reviews in the review section. If money had been no object and I was going with a significant other rather than my 3 kids, I would have done the same cruise on Seabourn. They have landings on Antarctica which no other large ship has.

Next on my bucket list for that time of year is a cruise to French Polynesia (Tahiti, Bora Bora etc) We had our honeymoon on Bora Bora. It is a magical place. HAL's Statendam does a roundtrip from San Diego to Hawaii and French Polynesia at that time of year.

I'd pick the Panama Canal. We had no idea really what to expect when we did ours last year. Was more about looking forward to two weeks of cruising. It wound up being really interesting. Would love to do it again some day. A nice combination of ports and sea days.

My second choice would be a relaxing Southern Caribbean voyage. Personally fan of the Aruba/Curaçao route.

Good luck making your decision!

What about Norway, I saw a review w/ pictures here on cc. I never thought about Norway until I saw their pictures/reviews. or bermuda, southern caribbean - happy anniversary :)