Back from American Table

shredie

We did one of the short Baja cruises this week on the Imagination and got to experience the American Table. I think they should take this one back to the drawing board. Some things were good: spring rolls, lamb shank, salmon cake, sauteed spinach. Some things were just awful: pork chop, lasagne, Italian wedding soup, Bernasie sauce. Most, however, fell somewhere in between, just mediocre. Nothing was as hot as it should have been, and the ice cream was always slightly melted, indicating that everything sat in the kitchen for too long before being served. The dreaded "share" stuff was gone, but there were still individual portions available. I didn't try the flat bread, myself. The sides came in individual little dishes, so some people ended up with four or five serving pieces to juggle. Of the sides, I was told the broccoli was good, but the mac and cheese I had was very bland. The deserts varied again: carrot cake could have been fresher (suffering from that sitting in the kitchen syndrome) and the pie of the day tended to be better than some of the other deserts. The Nutella tiramisu was just bad.

The menu itself is so confusing. Every person at our large table had to ask questions about it every night. It's so badly organized, it's hard to know what is an appetizer and what isn't. The entrees are also hard to figure out. There seemed to be some things repeated every night, but I wasn't really sure about that. There is a partial wine list on the main menu itself, but there is also an extensive wine menu you have to ask for. The whole menu had kind of a grab-bag feel to it.

The table cloths were gone, but I found that didn't bother me as I thought it would. There's regular ice water handy, so pouring for yourself is possible. There were salt shakers, butter, bread boxes (not baskets) distributed around the table.

I found on this trip that the food in the buffet was better, and that is the opposite of my previous Carnival food experiences.

I still don't understand everyone's aversion to the 'shared' table apps. It's not an uncommon practice and you certainly don't have to 'share' if you don't want to. Many upscale steakhouses serve all the side dishes for the 'table' not per person.

I still don't understand everyone's aversion to the 'shared' table apps. It's not an uncommon practice and you certainly don't have to 'share' if you don't want to. Many upscale steakhouses serve all the side dishes for the 'table' not per person.

As noted, some of us don't care to share dishes with strangers. I have no knowledge of the health/sanitary conditions of someone I'm assigned to eat with.

Sharing a dish in an "upscale steakhouse" I'm most likely dining with my family. I'm aware of their health/sanitary procedures.

Sorry, but I don't really like sharing food with strangers....I don't like the idea of shared plates on the table.

The "For the Table" items are gone, so there is no longer any argument about sharing food. Some of the items are now available as individual portions, however. Sharing is gone, not happening, finis, over, no longer a topic of discussion.

The "For the Table" items are gone, so there is no longer any argument about sharing food. Some of the items are now available as individual portions, however. Sharing is gone, not happening, finis, over, no longer a topic of discussion.

My apologies. I didn't realize we weren't allowed to discuss it.

I am reminded why I don't travel with 'non-foodies' :cool:

Is it really gone or just not served for smaller tables?

We had no problem with the shared dishes for our group of twelve. Our waiters just brought out two of everything.

We were on the Inspiration in February.

It is possible that the different ships are doing things differently to see which system works best.

Happy to here the buffet was good. In January we experienced the worst buffet in 30 cruises on the Imagination.

We just got back from the Glory, and we LOVED the new menus! Most everything we tried was excellent, and hot! (The chateaubriand was not the best...it used to be MUCH better). We didn't feel the menus were confusing at all, we just needed to remember to order sides.

Edited by put me on a ship

We just got back from the Glory, and we LOVED the new menus! Most everything we tried was excellent, and hot! (The chateaubriand was not the best...it used to be MUCH better). We didn't feel the menus were confusing at all, we just needed to remember to order sides.

So glad to hear! I can't wait to try the new menus next week!!

I will be on the Glory in 9 days, so thank you for this review as I really was concerned about the food. I love not cooking for a week and have always had great servers. Can't wait to sample everything.

Karen

We liked the new menus on the Imagination in March and especially enjoyed the "for the table" sides. It was fun ordering a bunch and everyone trying several or all of them. To each there own I guess? Seems like change is always a big deal to most people and received as a negative. Love to change things up and experience more of what this world has to offer.

Which steak houses do you frequent where you sit with a whole bunch of strangers? Haven't seen that on the west coast yet.

I found something to eat on Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday, but Tuesday was so blah that I just ordered some toast and peanut butter from room service and made myself a peanut butter sandwich with some chocolate covered strawberries for dinner in my cabin! I miss the strawberry bisque.

62A3E603-7A66-4F5C-9E63-9AEB6207FF5F_zpsn4khds3g.jpg

We liked the new menus on the Imagination in March and especially enjoyed the "for the table" sides. It was fun ordering a bunch and everyone trying several or all of them. To each there own I guess? Seems like change is always a big deal to most people and received as a negative. Love to change things up and experience more of what this world has to offer.

All of the "For the Table" items have disappeared from the menu. It's possible to order individual items, but the sharing aspect is gone. I don't have anything against change, but this new menu is laid out in such a way that it's confusing to read. The salads, soups and appetizers are in one place, but with additional appetizers listed in a separate section of "Port" dishes. The entrees are divided into two sections, but there is no real explanation why. Then there is an additional entree listed elsewhere on the menu in the Port section. The sides are listed below this "Port" section, and some of the sides are salads, which can also appear in the appetizer section. In one corner is a section for wines, but this is not the entire selection which is available on an entirely separate list you have to ask for. Oh, yes, there is also the "Rare Finds" section between the appetizers and wines where exotic things are offered, one per day. One of them was braised rabbit, and I had the impression it was an individual appetizer portion. To add to the confusion, the sections are printed in differing fonts. As I say, each person at the table had to ask the server several questions each night in order to figure out what was going on.

In short, the menu itself is confusing; some of the food is good; some is not good; much of the food is mediocre and not well presented. For those of you who want to continue the discussion of sharing, pro and con, go right ahead, but I just thought I'd let you know that's no longer an option on this menu.

http://zydecocruiser.net/CarnivalImagination/menus/D3Ens.JPG

Edited by shredie

All of the "For the Table" items have disappeared from the menu. It's possible to order individual items, but the sharing aspect is gone. I don't have anything against change, but this new menu is laid out in such a way that it's confusing to read. The salads, soups and appetizers are in one place, but with additional appetizers listed in a separate section of "Port" dishes. The entrees are divided into two sections, but there is no real explanation why. Then there is an additional entree listed elsewhere on the menu in the Port section. The sides are listed below this "Port" section, and some of the sides are salads, which can also appear in the appetizer section. In one corner is a section for wines, but this is not the entire selection which is available on an entirely separate list you have to ask for. Oh, yes, there is also the "Rare Finds" section between the appetizers and wines where exotic things are offered, one per day. One of them was braised rabbit, and I had the impression it was an individual appetizer portion. To add to the confusion, the sections are printed in differing fonts. As I say, each person at the table had to ask the server several questions each night in order to figure out what was going on.

In short, the menu itself is confusing; some of the food is good; some is not good; much of the food is mediocre and not well presented. For those of you who want to continue the discussion of sharing, pro and con, go right ahead, but I just thought I'd let you know that's no longer an option on this menu.

http://zydecocruiser.net/CarnivalImagination/menus/D3Ens.JPG

I really don't see how this menu is "confusing". It seems pretty straightforward to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm not 100% sure when the new menu rolled out but about the time we were on the Glory Feb 2. Glad to hear you had great food!! We (table of 4 women friends) didn't like it so much. Missed some favorites, but change is good so I would have been happy if quality was good. Didn't even have to be wonderful just good would do. I'm hoping it was because the menu was so new. The food on the Freedom a year ago was best on a carnival I've ever had. So headed back there in Aug. Very glad the soups have been added back and Creme Brûlée to the menu!!

Was anything wrong with the old menu?

or is this yet another case of Novelty-for-Novelty's-sake?

...that we simply must come up with something new

even if the original thing is quite OK?!

I really don't see how this menu is "confusing". It seems pretty straightforward to me.

My thoughts exactly, I've found the menus for our upcoming vacation and love the Port section. I think its wonderful listing some food that be considered local. As for the wine list, did you miss the word FEATURED? It's not suppose to their entire selection.

If you are use to something being one way, I can understand change causing some problems. I remember when my grocery store changed everything around, new layout. It seemed like it took me weeks to find the raisins. Still haven't found the egg roll wrappers. :o

On every cruise I have witnessed other guests being complete pigs with regard to their table manners. I don't want someone pawing through the basket of breads because they don't have brains enough to use the tongs. I don't want the guy next to me taking 3 times the amount he should be serving to himself, leaving little or none for the rest of the table. And I don't want to handle the utensils after watching the guest next to me wipe his nose or lick his fingers.

I think it was really meant to help the waiters streamline so aspects of service and also reduce the amount of waste when people order multiple entrees but don't want all the extra sides. Or in my case wanting extra veggies but not an additional entrée.

On every cruise I have witnessed other guests being complete pigs with regard to their table manners. I don't want someone pawing through the basket of breads because they don't have brains enough to use the tongs. I don't want the guy next to me taking 3 times the amount he should be serving to himself, leaving little or none for the rest of the table. And I don't want to handle the utensils after watching the guest next to me wipe his nose or lick his fingers.

Agree!!

Yea but when you go with your family to a restaurant and food is served for the table, you are not seated with strangers.

We don't do buffets because we see too many people sneezing on utensils, wiping their noses and then touching the handle of the ladle or fork for the food on the buffet and grabbing with their hands. I don't consider myself to be a germaphobe, but I would prefer to either handle my food myself or let the kitchen/wait staff do it with sanitary precautions.

We only sat at a shared table once on a cruise and that was enough for us. We always ask for a private table, no matter which meal. I don't want a stranger coughing or sneezing all around my food.

We were on the sister ship Inspiration a few weeks ago and the experience was opposite. We had table cloths, the food was good and for the table options still such as the calamari. I enjoyed new offerings and it made me want to go to the dining room. In the past we started skipping it more as it was always the same after 20+ cruises. My two cents

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Two comments

1) You can't improve if you do not make changes. These new menus may or may not be an improvement (I have not yet tried them so can't comment) but I will at least give Carnival credit for trying. It is a competitive marketplace, so trying an option on a few ships, seeing what works and what doesn't before going fleet wide seems smart.

2) I remember many complaints on this board that the old menus were tired, and the same old same old from cruise to cruise. Experienced cruisers in particular would say that they had to go to another line because they were tired of the same thing each time.