Confusion re daily charges.

Geminisquirrel

Can someone tell me please, if you can take off your daily charge, when you are on anytime dining.

Not sure if it can only be done with set dining.

Thank you in advance.

I have never used anytime dining, but I am sure I read somewhere that you can't, as there would be no means of tipping otherwise , as you may have different wait staff on each meal.

We have been anytime dining previously and had the same waiters every night. We normally eat very early and never had a problem getting the same table. Still left auto tip on and gave the waiters a bit extra.

You can remove the charge if you so wish. On our first freedom dining cruise we had the same waiter each nights and he really looked after us. I asked the Maître D and he told us if we wished we could remove it and tip personally.

We did this and outer waiter thanked us but also told us that any tips given personally in freedom dining go into the pool. Thinking about it this makes total sense as they all get a share of the tips.

Since then we have always left it on and if we feel we have had exceptional service we fill in a P & O award card for exceptional service.

For our cabin steward anything we give him/her above the normal tip they can keep.

The only reason I could imagine anyone removing their gratuities is because they either dont want to tip at all or just want to tip directly to the cabin steward/waiter less than automatic gratuities.

We are using Freedom Dining for the first time and when I searched, I am sure I also read that it was a compulsory charge. However, I think it was old information- maybe when FD was first introduced and the automatic system was not in general use.

I think it's best to just leave the automatic gratuity - it's much easier. If people want to give more, then that is a personal decision. I would imagine that for FD it would be difficult to thank all individuals with tips.

The only reason I could imagine anyone removing their gratuities is because they either dont want to tip at all or just want to tip directly to the cabin steward/waiter less than automatic gratuities.

You need to exercise ypur imagination a bit more, majortom. Try these:

1. They enjoy giving tips personally.

2. They have a rooted objection to auto-tipping.

3. They think auto-tipping is a personal insult impugning their integrity.

4. They don't believe auto-tips go where they want them to.

5. They haven't eaten in the main restaurant so don't want to tip the restaurant waiters - instead they put the money in the buffet tips box.

6. They changed cabin part-way through and want to ensure they tip both stewards.

7. They want to enclose the tip in a thank-you card.

8. They always bring bucketloads of Euros in cash, to save charges, and prefer to shovel the large spare notes onto the crew rather than change them back.

9. They've used all their on-board credit and are worried their credit card is maxed out or lost, so they're paying cash.

10. Oh dear, my imagination needs work too. Anyone got a number 10? :)

5. They haven't eaten in the main restaurant so don't want to tip the restaurant waiters - instead they put the money in the buffet tips box.

6. They changed cabin part-way through and want to ensure they tip both stewards.

8. They always bring bucketloads of Euros in cash, to save charges, and prefer to shovel the large spare notes onto the crew rather than change them back.

9. They've used all their on-board credit and are worried their credit card is maxed out or lost, so they're paying cash.

Agree with all of the above.

On our last cruise our Steward told us that if he didn't get positive feedback on all questionnaires, he didn't get his share if the tips. We always tip Steward extra anyway.

I think you would be surprised at the amount of people who do remove the tips for whatever reason, I went to reception once and saw a whole stack of forms filled in for removing tips

Some people view it as a tip and think they should be able to hand out cash where they want to, to those staff who have made a difference to them personally

In my opinion they should call it a service charge that is part of your cruise and non refundable as not everyone realises that this cost makes up a big part of the staff salary

Cash tips are then given as an extra for personal reasons jmo

Your answers to question 1 is I am afraid delusions of grandeur and with questions 4,5 and 6 it doesnt really matter who you give it too because if you remove auto gratuities they do not keep the money you give them it is all handed in and pooled and goes in the same pot as auto gratuities. So whthere you tip 1 or 2 cabin stewards or buffet staff instead of restaurant staff it is all given to office staff at Pursers desk and then shared out exactly the same as auto gratuities.

With reference to your reply number 3 then that is beyond belief because how could somebody believe that auto tipping is a "personal insult impugning their integrity".

10. They are cheapskates and do not tip!

Exactly goose30 agree 100% but they convince themselves with all sorts of stupid reasons on why to remove the tips so they dont feel so less guilty about removing them for one reason only because they dont want to tip. Whoever you give it too and how it is all pooled so it defeats the argument the only time they are allowed to keep anything is if you leave tips on automatically and then give extra.

Agree with all of the above.

On our last cruise our Steward told us that if he didn't get positive feedback on all questionnaires, he didn't get his share if the tips. We always tip Steward extra anyway.

Yes that is correct but by removing auto tips and giving him personally will not make any difference because he doesnt keep the money you give him it is handed in.

So am I right in thinking that if you leave the charge on them tip waiter and steward extra they can then keep this extra money ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes they only keep any money given to them if you havent removed auto tips.

Yes that is correct but by removing auto tips and giving him personally will not make any difference because he doesnt keep the money you give him it is handed in.

Is it really? How would P&O know that you had given him/her cash if the steward decided to keep it?

Is it really? How would P&O know that you had given him/her cash if the steward decided to keep it?

I am guessing that most people who remove tips state their reason for doing so

On the form as preferring to pay cash, of course this is most likely to be economical with the truth , but I would think the stewards are asked and more than their job is worth to lie