Adventure - kettles

On the 4th May sailing you were able to get one if you asked the cabin steward. Some stewards put them in as standard, our American tablemates didn't ask but had one anyway!

Julie

We had a kettle on the 20th April transatlantic crossing. There was a little note in our room saying kettle & teacups etc were available upon request from the stateroom attendant. He even topped up the sugar and coffee supplies, and delivered a fresh carton of milk every other day, bless him.

Whew! What a relief! :eek:

You mean "TEA POTS!!

I thought that maybe RCI was replacing those rather small bathrooms with some kind of bed-pan or something :D;) ...

You mean "TEA POTS!!

I thought that maybe RCI was replacing those rather small bathrooms with some kind of bed-pan or something :D;)

Do not understand what you mean

A kettle is an electric device for boiling water and a teapot is what you put tea in to make a cup of tea, can be china or metal.

They certainly had teapots on our Transatlantic.

A nice hot cuppa sitting on our balcony at about 3pm in the sunshine.

You mean "TEA POTS!!

I thought that maybe RCI was replacing those rather small bathrooms with some kind of bed-pan or something :D;)

A kettle is an electric device for boiling water and a teapot is what you put tea in to make a cup of tea, can be china or metal.

Oops, pardon me! I forgot that you Brits talk funny ;) .

My dear wife and I had the genuine pleasure of cruising on the Legend of the Seas with a "boatload" of Brits a few years ago and we were informed that we "Yanks" had it all wrong. A "BISCUIT" is an American "COOKIE", a "BED" is an American "LOUNGER", etc., and now I know that a "KETTLE" is an American "TEA POT". We truly loved that cruise, and almost without exception were treated with interest and respect throughout the entire 14 days.

PS: You spell things funny, too (labour, whilst, colour, etc...)

I hope that you take this note in the "tongue-in-cheek" manner in which it was intended :p .

Is anyone on board now? Have they put kettles in the rooms yet as there were none on the 4/May sailing ?

Thanks.

Hi there, this is where we knew we had the best room steward ever.

On the 9th April cruise after the drydock the room steward was not expecting us due to a last minute upgrade . As soon as she heard our accents there was a kettle, china mugs, tea , milk and sugar in the cabin, brilliant.

Last year kettles were put in all cabins the day the TA commenced, this year it was a case of there being a note in the cabin. We moved cabin on each of our B2B2Bs and because if the wonderful Jimnie she told the other room stewards to have the kettles there. :)

Edited by heatherb1958

You mean "TEA POTS!!

Well said!!!

Oops, pardon me! I forgot that you Brits talk funny ;) .

My dear wife and I had the genuine pleasure of cruising on the Legend of the Seas with a "boatload" of Brits a few years ago and we were informed that we "Yanks" had it all wrong. A "BISCUIT" is an American "COOKIE", a "BED" is an American "LOUNGER", etc., and now I know that a "KETTLE" is an American "TEA POT". We truly loved that cruise, and almost without exception were treated with interest and respect throughout the entire 14 days.

PS: You spell things funny, too (labour, whilst, colour, etc...)

I hope that you take this note in the "tongue-in-cheek" manner in which it was intended :p .

Of course I do and as you originally learnt your English from us you can change it to how you like.

Your examples of no U in words would have increased my marks in Spelling tests to dizzy heights.

At least my Scrabble game takes both spellings.;)

I agree with the OP, a teapot is what you put the brewed tea into to serve it or if you use loose tea, you can brew/steep the tea in a teapot. A tea kettle (that's what I have always called them here in MA, not just "kettle") can be either be electric or one that you can put on the stovetop to heat up the water to make tea. :)

Well I feel cheated! Having sailed on the 4th May cruise, I had neither the kettle nor the piece of paper advising that they were available - good job I had the Ultimate drinks package to get my caffeine fix that way ;) (although I much preferred the ice bucket in the space that the kettle would have taken up).

I agree with the OP, a teapot is what you put the brewed tea into to serve it or if you use loose tea, you can brew/steep the tea in a teapot. A tea kettle (that's what I have always called them here in MA, not just "kettle") can be either be electric or one that you can put on the stovetop to heat up the water to make tea. :)

Ah but you can use a kettle for so much more than making tea and in the UK most are electric and automatic

You can make coffee heat for a hot water bottle add boiling water to pans etc etc etc.

Ah but you can use a kettle for so much more than making tea and in the UK most are electric and automatic

You can make coffee heat for a hot water bottle add boiling water to pans etc etc etc.

Missus, You are quite right and I have used my top of stove tea kettle for all the reasons you mentioned . DD has one of the electric ones, and she uses her for more than just making tea, also. My post was trying to explain the difference between a tea pot and a (tea) kettle. Sometimes communication is hard even if we are all speaking the same language!!!:D;)