Excursion before boarding in Whittier?

go4ak

I will be embarking in Whittier. Taking the train from Anchorage to Whittier - arriving at 12:30. Crown Princess sails at 8:30.

Should I try to do one of the glacier tours our of Whittier?

Where would I store my luggage? Or, do I check in and then get off the ship to cruise (depending on the tour time).

Do I "need" to see that area or will I see "enough" glaciers and wildlife on the Princess part of the cruise.

Or should I just get on the ship, have lunch, and enjoy what's there. First cruise - so I know time will fly and I will enjoy whatever I do.

Thanks.

I will be embarking in Whittier. Taking the train from Anchorage to Whittier - arriving at 12:30. Crown Princess sails at 8:30.

Where would I store my luggage? Or, do I check in and then get off the ship to cruise (depending on the tour time).

Do I "need" to see that area or will I see "enough" glaciers and wildlife on the Princess part of the cruise.

Or should I just get on the ship, have lunch, and enjoy what's there. First cruise - so I know time will fly and I will enjoy whatever I do.

Thanks.

Every thing is up to YOU. :) BUT there is NO comparison with any boat tour and the cruise ship transit. It is grossly superior on a tour boat. Are YOU interested in seeing glaciers? Do, you want a closer experience? Do you want the opportunity for some wildlife?

There is no "need" to anything. Plenty of people do nothing extra and have a perfectly good time.

IF you do take a tour, In Anchorage, you will tag your bag with your cabin and it will be transferred directly to the ship.

I am planning something similar next year. Will be taking the Magic Bus transfer ($50 each) that will pick up at our hotel around 9:00 am with a few stops along the way. They will drop the luggage (pre-tagged) to the terminal and you to Major Marine dock. Both said we could make the 12:15 Surprise glacier tour.

Thanks.

Several years ago we enjoyed taking Alaska RR from Anchorage to Whittier (very scenic ride), arriving shortly before embarkation started. Booked directly with the RR. Checked our bags with Princess tags at the train depot (Princess has a baggage tent for that purpose) and they appeared at our stateroom that afternoon. Checked in at the ship terminal upon arrival in Whittier, dropped our carry-on then headed out on a small boat charter to Blackstone Bay. Beautiful area with breathtaking waterfalls, sea otters, harbor seals, blackleg kittiwakes and other species of birds. Blackstone Glacier was quiet that day but Beloit performed in spectacular fashion! Five Alaska cruises later, we've still not seen calving any more impressive!

Choppy water made for a bit of a rough ride in the small boat (12 passenger, the type also used as a water taxi) and the weather was misty but the experience was worth the cost and slight discomfort! We've also done the big boat tour with dinner.

Do not miss an opportunity to experience the scenery and wildlife in Prince William Sound from a boat that's smaller than a cruise ship!

• 3 weeks later...

We'll be arriving Whittier from ANC by train at 12:05p (scheduled time), Crown Princess doesn't depart until 8:30p so we obviously have hours in between. I understand we check our luggage through to the ship at ANC train depot. We'll likely have one/two carryons for the train.

With a 12:05p arrival can we make any of the following glacier tours...

- Phillips 26 Glacier - 12:30p

- Phillips Glacier Quest - 1p

- Major Marine Blackstone - 12:45p

- Major Marine Surprise - 12:15p

I'm guessing we would head for the harbor (I think it's close, right?) as soon as we step off train and then check in with ship upon our return. Also, regarding the carry on luggage with train, would we be able to take onto boat with glacier tour? I realize much of this could be answered by calling the vendors, which I may do but wanted to get the opinions of you experienced folks.

By checking in late with ship, we'll have to do our 'as soon as we board' routine at a later time but feel the glacier tour would be worth it. TIA :)

We'll be arriving Whittier from ANC by train at 12:05p (scheduled time), Crown Princess doesn't depart until 8:30p so we obviously have hours in between. I understand we check our luggage through to the ship at ANC train depot. We'll likely have one/two carryons for the train.

I'm guessing we would head for the harbor (I think it's close, right?) as soon as we step off train and then check in with ship upon our return. Also, regarding the carry on luggage with train, would we be able to take onto boat with glacier tour? I realize much of this could be answered by calling the vendors, which I may do but wanted to get the opinions of you experienced folks.

By checking in late with ship, we'll have to do our 'as soon as we board' routine at a later time but feel the glacier tour would be worth it. TIA :)

Yes you would bring a small amount of carry ons on the boat tour. Anything larger you don't need, they will store.

I did the Glacier Quest on May 17th.

The train arrived at 12:30. You get off the train and walk across a street and through a very small parking lot to the ticket booth. (both companies booths are right there, together) There is a place where you can store any carry on luggage/baggage if you want - or you can keep it with you. (I stayed at the Captain Cooke the night before and my main luggage was taken directly from the hotel to the ship)

The Glacier Quest was amazing. The boat got very close to the glaciers - that were very active. We saw whales, otters, kittywakes and eagles. I would do it again in a minute. (and plan to do just that in the future) The lunch they serve was good (I had the fish and chips) and the staff was very nice, friendly and helpful.

They know when the train arrives and as long as you don't fool around - you will make the boat. They called up people for the 12:30 sailing and asked the 12:45 folks to stand aside for a few minutes.

As I remember we got back to port around 4:30 or 5 and had plenty of time to go through check in and board the Crown.

It was a wonderful experience.

Enjoy your trip.

We are doing the Major Marine glacier tour in Whittier. It gets great reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did the Surprise Glacier with them last summer on our turnaround day in Whittier. It really was wonderful. The salmon meal was very good and well worth the 19.00 it cost. Also, we were able to get a buy one get one free on this cruise through a coupon available in Northern Lights discount book. I do not know if this is avail for 2014 but really worth checking out. We ordered the book through our local Barnes and Noble and they had it shipped here before arriving.

You may be able to check in before leaving if you have time. Quite a few of the passengers that we cruised with on the Surprise Glacier were on the train and then on the return cruise to Vancouver with us. (we did RT) Major Marine waited a couple minutes for them to get there, so they were flexible with train arrivals. The dock for Major Marine and the other glacier cruise company (26?) is directly next to the ship as well

Edited by sept10dsm