Freedom of the Seas, May 3, 2015 Not available for booking?

Yup, our original cabin is available again.

Crazy!

It appears the Maxwell + the 7 Seas is still on too, which to me would mean clubs/areas unavailable to non-Maxwell cruisers. No thanks!

Odd that a charter can go from full ship to partial .... Does this really happen?

You're essentially dealing with a hotel. The scenario generally plays out like this: A convention books a block of rooms (or does a complete buy-out) with a guarantee (usually agreeing to fill 85-90% of the block in a hotel contract) and an attrition clause. If the convention doesn't fill its block (or sell out) by the attrition date, it can either release the rooms back (and pay the attrition penalty), pay for them out-of-pocket and hope they can recoup by selling them to people who book late, or sell them to someone else. Apparently, the Maxwell group didn't sell out and was forced to release the left over rooms back to the cruise line.

You're essentially dealing with a hotel. The scenario generally plays out like this: A convention books a block of rooms (or does a complete buy-out) with a guarantee (usually agreeing to fill 85-90% of the block in a hotel contract) and an attrition clause. If the convention doesn't fill its block (or sell out) by the attrition date, it can either release the rooms back (and pay the attrition penalty), pay for them out-of-pocket and hope they can recoup by selling them to people who book late, or sell them to someone else. Apparently, the Maxwell group didn't sell out and was forced to release the left over rooms back to the cruise line.

not to be disagreeable, but I have since found the following answer to my question on Royal Caribbean's website in regards to full ship charters:

"Once an Agreement is signed by the client, can the program be cancelled or can the client relinquish staterooms?

Unlike a large group contract, there is no provision in the Full Ship Charter Agreement that allows for cancellation of the program and/or for any number of staterooms. A client cannot reduce to a Half Ship Charter, Partial Charter or a group once signed as a Full Ship Charter."

Thus, your answer would appear to be incorrect. Ships are not at all like hotels.

I know this is an old thread, but I found it in a search today and wanted to get some opinions.

Here is what happened today:

I started searching for a good priced cruise on the Freedom of the Seas.

There was a great price on the May 3rd, 2015 sailing. I booked my wife and I and two other couples.

A few hours later I decided to find the Roll Call board for our new sailing. I scrolled through 4 pages and couldn't find one that had been started, yet. I thought it was odd - since the cruise is in May. So, I did a Google search for Freedom of the Seas May 3, 2015 and discovered a page advertising this to be a "Maxwell" cruise. I turned to Cruise Critic and found this thread.

So, my question -- Is this a full charter or not? How am I able to book it? Am I going to get cancelled at some point?

Thanks!

We were on originally booked for that sailing when it was cancelled. In May of this year, RCI notified us that our sailing was cancelled and made offers for rebooking -- price protection and nice OBC. May 17, 2015 was an offered sailing for these incentives so we rebooked.

The Maxwell cruise was originally selling for expensive rates (e.g. $7,000+ for a JS v -- from the website, it looks like it was reduced) and they must not have filled it and was originally a full ship charter. I guess the charterer may have had to pay some penalties to give the inventory back to RCI. Glad we are booked for another sailings with the OBC -- we have been on a 1/2 ship charter and found that the cruise was geared to the charterer and some venues were unavailable to regular cruises. We did not know that it was a 1/2 ship charter -- it was 1995 and Internet resources were not as extensive today. I check my cruises now to see if there are very large charter groups.

Edited by SherriZ366

We were on originally booked for that sailing when it was cancelled. In May of this year, RCI notified us that our sailing was cancelled and made offers for rebooking -- price protection and nice OBC. May 17, 2015 was an offered sailing for these incentives so we rebooked.

The Maxwell cruise was originally selling for expensive rates (e.g. $7,000+ for a JS v -- from the website, it looks like it was reduced) and they must not have filled it and was originally a full ship charter. I guess the charterer may have had to pay some penalties to give the inventory back to RCI. Glad we are booked for another sailings with the OBC -- we have been on a 1/2 ship charter and found that the cruise was geared to the charterer and some venues were unavailable to regular cruises. We did not know that it was a 1/2 ship charter -- it was 1995 and Internet resources were not as extensive today. I check my cruises now to see if there are very large charter groups.

Took another look at the Maxwell cruise pricing and the JS is still $7,000 + per person with options for a higher price for better seating for the entertainment.

I just booked this today at a fantastic rate for a balcony. Agent for the large internet provider said it was a charter but was cancelled so the rates are low. Rate was like $570 for a 7 nite balcony plus $150 and dinner for 2. Couldn't pass it up.

not to be disagreeable, but I have since found the following answer to my question on Royal Caribbean's website in regards to full ship charters:

"Once an Agreement is signed by the client, can the program be cancelled or can the client relinquish staterooms?

Unlike a large group contract, there is no provision in the Full Ship Charter Agreement that allows for cancellation of the program and/or for any number of staterooms. A client cannot reduce to a Half Ship Charter, Partial Charter or a group once signed as a Full Ship Charter."

Thus, your answer would appear to be incorrect. Ships are not at all like hotels.

What you quoted is also a typical component in a hotel attrition clause.

Very interesting. The Sweet Suite is showing as available if anyone wants it! We're already scheduled on another cruise for that week.

I just switched from another promenade room to 6305. :)

Can anyone give me a rundown on the current perks for the "sweet". I recall from reading older threads in the past that you got ice cream every day for both guests and concierge lounge access and a few other things like priority ice show tickets, etc. Is this still the case?

Very interesting. The Sweet Suite is showing as available if anyone wants it! We're already scheduled on another cruise for that week.

Yup, that's the one we had booked on opening day and then been booted out of.

We considered re-booking it but then decided we really didn't want to be on a sailing with the possibility of much being off limits to us. We're sticking with our February 14th Vision sailing and will be back in the Sweet April 24, 2016. :)

I just switched from another promenade room to 6305. :)

Can anyone give me a rundown on the current perks for the "sweet". I recall from reading older threads in the past that you got ice cream every day for both guests and concierge lounge access and a few other things like priority ice show tickets, etc. Is this still the case?

We last had the Sweet in 2013. At that time, we got the ice cream, Concierge Lounge access, access to Gold Card seating area at all shows, and were able to pre-reserve a cabana on Barefoot Beach with the Concierge via email. :)

Enjoy!

Edited by Wendy&Grumpy

I just booked this today at a fantastic rate for a balcony. Agent for the large internet provider said it was a charter but was cancelled so the rates are low. Rate was like $570 for a 7 nite balcony plus $150 and dinner for 2. Couldn't pass it up.
Wonder if they cancelled the whole charter. It is still showing prices etc. on their website.

Wonder if they cancelled the whole charter. It is still showing prices etc. on their website.

I wondered this, too! I emailed the Maxwell cruise website and asked if this was a full ship charter, and they said "yes". So, I am not sure what to believe. I am booked on this cruise, but I don't want to go if there is a Maxwell group dominating the ship.

I wondered this, too! I emailed the Maxwell cruise website and asked if this was a full ship charter, and they said "yes". So, I am not sure what to believe. I am booked on this cruise, but I don't want to go if there is a Maxwell group dominating the ship.
Is the Maxwell cruise still taking bookings? Are the prices that much better for May 3 than for May 17? I would not want to be on a cruise that has a large group dominating the ship either.

It turns out that May 17 was a better date for us anyway as my nephew is getting married on April 26 in Boca Raton. DH will like having a few weeks between Fl. trips better than back to back travel.

Am I the only one who thinks that chartering a ship AFTER cabins are already sold to others is a really crappy policy, and that there should be a much stiffer penalty than some wimpy OBC (which costs the line virtually nothing given their profit margin with on-board-sales) to cruise lines that do this. It is my understanding that if you purchase a cruise in Germany under German law the cruise line has to reimburse you for all expense you may incur due to cancellations, provide a full refund AND pay an additional 50% of the entire cruise fare (including taxes and fees) in cash to you as a penalty. I am not adverse to charters, but sign the contacts prior to selling cabins on the open market.

I just did a quick check and Maxwell + the 7 Seas is still selling the 3 May 2015 cruise with lowest prices for an inside (with concerts) at $2850pp for an inside; RCI is selling the same category at $499pp with no disclosure of the charter. And, NO, I don't want to sail with a near full ship charter.

Thom

Am I the only one who thinks that chartering a ship AFTER cabins are already sold to others is a really crappy policy, and that there should be a much stiffer penalty than some wimpy OBC (which costs the line virtually nothing given their profit margin with on-board-sales) to cruise lines that do this. It is my understanding that if you purchase a cruise in Germany under German law the cruise line has to reimburse you for all expense you may incur due to cancellations, provide a full refund AND pay an additional 50% of the entire cruise fare (including taxes and fees) in cash to you as a penalty. I am not adverse to charters, but sign the contacts prior to selling cabins on the open market.

I just did a quick check and Maxwell + the 7 Seas is still selling the 3 May 2015 cruise with lowest prices for an inside (with concerts) at $2850pp for an inside; RCI is selling the same category at $499pp with no disclosure of the charter. And, NO, I don't want to sail with a near full ship charter.

Thom

We were lucky that we did not have air fare so the $400 OBC per cabin and price protection seemed fair. This sailing was chartered about a year in advance. To not be sailing with a 1/2 or nearly full ship charter is an extra added bargain to me.

We actually had 2 sailings cancelled on the same day (this cruise and our Jan. 25, 2015 sailing for drydock). Got the same OBC for both.

What I think is crappy is RCI selling the May 3, 2015 as a regular cruise to unsuspecting folks who do not know about the charter. I would be really angry if we got to the port and found out that the sailing had such a huge group on board. I Google my cruise dates to try to find out if they are chartered and check them periodically before final payment. As I posted earlier, I wonder how the Maxwell group got out of contracting for a full ship. I guess paying the penalties might have been more cost effective than sailing with empty cabins.

Edited by SherriZ366

From one of the websites listing theme cruises:

This is a full ship charter, which means that the entire ship will be dedicated to providing guests with the Maxwell + The 7 Seas experience. The cruise will also have on board Celebrity Chef G. Garvin who will be creating special menus for the cruise as well as doing live cooking demonstrations. Rest assured, the party will never stop and you will be enjoying every minute along with thousands of others who all share the same musical passions as you do!

We just booked this cruise and no one said anything to us about this. What information did you find please? We have not had a vacation in 3 years and would hate to have it ruined by some type themed music that we would possibly not even enjoy!

We just booked this cruise and no one said anything to us about this. What information did you find please? We have not had a vacation in 3 years and would hate to have it ruined by some type themed music that we would possibly not even enjoy!
Website is: http://www.maxwellatsea.com/cruise

We were contacted by RCI last May, who told us that our May 3, 2015 FR sailing was being chartered. We rebooked the May 17, 2014 cruise at that time. I also Googled the May 3, 2015 Freedom of the Seas cruise and found the Maxwel website.

You are well before final payment if you want to cancel or switch sailings so no penalties unless you booked with an agency that charges them for cancellation or changing sailings. If you have an agency that charges penalties, you could use information on the charter to protest penalties.

As I posted earlier, you might want to check out the May 17, 2015 FR sailing.

Edited by SherriZ366

Just out of curiosity, checked roll calls for the 5-3-2015 date and did not see one.

This is exactly how I first discovered the cruise I had just booked for my family and some friends was showing as a "full ship charter". I went to find my roll call after booking and couldn't find one! I thought it was odd and searched for my sailing on the internet and was shocked at what I saw! Full ship charter.

Someone should call RCL about this and see what they say ....

My wife is a ta and this charter was cancelled for unknown reasons and she was offered group space at discounted prices we will now have a small group sailing on this sailing if this sailing is not av.ailable to the public it will be soon as she is showing plenty of cabins available at great prices

My wife is a ta and this charter was cancelled for unknown reasons and she was offered group space at discounted prices we will now have a small group sailing on this sailing if this sailing is not av.ailable to the public it will be soon as she is showing plenty of cabins available at great prices
So is the Maxwell cruise on or off? Was it completely cancelled or just partially cancelled?