Freedom of the Seas, May 3, 2015 Not available for booking?

Same here. We have decided to keep this booking as I have been on ships that were partially chartered. Not sure how big it was but we did not have any problems. My understanding is they will have the ice skating rink, minus ice and when not used by the skaters, for there entertainment. if that is true it should be okay. And I agree at those prices I wouldn't think it would be that full.

So no ice skating or shows there then? Or just when they're using it?

Never been on the FOS...where is Studio B located and how many can it hold in a concert configuration
Deck 3 midship (technically the ice floor is on deck 2, but the seating is accessed from Deck 3). I found a website saying Studio B has 760 seats, and they could put a couple of hundred more on the floor. I don't know how long it takes to install or remove the floor over the ice, but it was done at least once a week for Quest.

Thom

Edited by TravelerThom

Deck 3 midship (technically the ice floor is on deck 2, but the seating is accessed from Deck 3). I'm guessing that Studio B has maybe 800 seats, and they could put a couple of hundred more on the floor. I don't know how long it takes to install or remove the floor over the ice, but it was done at least once a week for Quest.

Thom

That seems like a reasonable guess. I believe I read somewhere it takes only 45 minutes to go from ice to floor or vice versa.

So unless there is a scheduled ice performance in Studio B at night, on a cruise in early May when schools are still in session (fewer kids)... how many guests actually utilized Studio B for open skating on any given evening past 9 pm

What other non ice show activities are held in Studio B...and are there other venues on the FOS that could be utilized for these events

So unless there is a scheduled ice performance in Studio B at night, on a cruise in early May when schools are still in session (fewer kids)... how many guests actually utilized Studio B for open skating on any given evening past 9 pm

What other non ice show activities are held in Studio B...and are there other venues on the FOS that could be utilized for these events

Quest, 50's - 60's party (can't remember if FR has this event).

Anyone heard any update on the Maxwell cruise?

Also, I'm not able to pre-book my ice show online. Not sure if that's something you're usually able to do, or if it's blocked out due to the Maxwell group. ??

It's still way too far out to be able to book entertainment.

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone heard any update on the Maxwell cruise?

Side note: I usually only take charter cruises. It's a ton of fun. I love and adore jazz music, so a full jazz charter is my personal heaven.

I've been keeping an eye on the Maxwell cruise. No new updates as yet, but I did call up RC, as some folks here have done, and they told me that 1. if I went aboard and not through the charter, I wouldn't be able to attend the shows offered by the charter, and 2. it's definitely NOT a full-ship charter. If it was at one point, certainly no longer.

I agree 100% with LadyMage regarding being on full charter Jazz Cruises (I have done 11 straight)..the Maxwell cruise has all of us trying to understand the business strategy....final payment is due March 15th and I noticed the website has not been updated as to what the current status is...huge difference between a full charter music experience and being a group on a regular sailing in terms of what is being charged, access to public rooms and onboard concert presentations

I suspect there will be some additional clarity of the situation between now and March 15th ...the line up (as published) is awesome (80% of the artists I have enjoyed on my beloved full charter Capital Jazz SuperCruises at a better value for my $$$$)....I was once a part of a Jazz group on a regular sailing...the challenge became for the cruisers ( who were fans of our artists)that were not a part of our Jazz group who wanted to attend our private concerts .....they were not allowed into our private events and it was a source of contention for the entire cruise

I agree 100% with LadyMage regarding being on full charter Jazz Cruises (I have done 11 straight)..the Maxwell cruise has all of us trying to understand the business strategy....final payment is due March 15th and I noticed the website has not been updated as to what the current status is...huge difference between a full charter music experience and being a group on a regular sailing in terms of what is being charged, access to public rooms and onboard concert presentations

I suspect there will be some additional clarity of the situation between now and March 15th ...the line up (as published) is awesome (80% of the artists I have enjoyed on my beloved full charter Capital Jazz SuperCruises at a better value for my $$$$)....I was once a part of a Jazz group on a regular sailing...the challenge became for the cruisers ( who were fans of our artists)that were not a part of our Jazz group who wanted to attend our private concerts .....they were not allowed into our private events and it was a source of contention for the entire cruise

With your experience on many other full charter jazz cruises, are the prices that Maxwell is quoting for this one as absurd as it seems, or are these kind of cruises always this extremely expensive?

Short answer...Yes...for a litany of reasons....I would love if....a). someone who actually will be a part of the Maxwell group & b) someone who is*** not ****a part of the Maxwell group but who has ***already posted on this thread*** share with CC readers how the cruise actually went

I hope the Maxwell folks update their webpage by March 15th

To answer the 2nd part of your question....IMHO if the Maxwell cruise (with the line up minus Maxwell) was priced more in line with the market price break of whom they would compete with. and sailed in May 2016 rather then 2015 (most folks that do these types of cruises deposit 12-15 months in advance) it would sell out

Maxwell may have a huge fan base but that did not equate to booked cabins

If you ask folks who take these types of music cruises, it is a tremendous value for our vacation dollar...if you are a fan of the music, when you add up cost of concert tickets, dinner, gas, parking, hotel that you would pay to see if your favorite artist came to your town..multiply it by 30-40 artists, and you get a cruise with 3000 like fans who become your friends that you will enjoy every year being with and prorate the cost over a per day basis, it is not expensive

I'm a Capital Jazz attendee as well! Will be there this year for my sixth sailing with them. Love them to pieces.

Some friends of mine were on a partially chartered cruise and they told me it was a nightmare. There's no real way to control access to the entertainment area, and there was no real way to restrict non-charter guests from attending.

With your experience on many other full charter jazz cruises, are the prices that Maxwell is quoting for this one as absurd as it seems, or are these kind of cruises always this extremely expensive?

YES!! Maxwell is way, way overpriced. Their single inside cabin is $5,300. That's what I pay for my entire vacation with Capital Jazz: cabin, onboard, flight, hotel, souvenirs, etc. I always travel alone, so I'm already at a disadvantage for pricing, but this is an out-and-out ripoff.

They are either quite naive or quite foolish to think that they were going to sell out at those prices.

Hattack - I entered to win a free cabin for this thing. I have friends who are in the lineup, but I also have my reservations on the entire thing. I know a good bit about how these things are run; what I'm seeing on this particular charter is making me think twice.

Will be glad to review it if I end up winning and attending!

Thanks, I suspect you are not the only Smooth Jazz fan that booked a regular cabin in hopes of some contact with the artists...:D.....the size of the Maxwell group will have a major impact on how the week goes and the reaction of the balance of the cruisers (non Maxwell group) on the Freedom....on the cruise that I was part of the Jazz group, we had special lanyards that we had to show to gain access to the private concerts and events...I actually had folks offer me cash $$$$ for my lanyard to attend a concert (I declined)...I felt sorry fir the poor CD that had to constantly explain why folks could not attend our concerts which were better then the Cruise Line

I entered for a free cabin also :)

Thanks, I suspect you are not the only Smooth Jazz fan that booked a regular cabin in hopes of some contact with the artists...:D.....the size of the Maxwell group will have a major impact on how the week goes and the reaction of the balance of the cruisers (non Maxwell group) on the Freedom....on the cruise that I was part of the Jazz group, we had special lanyards that we had to show to gain access to the private concerts and events...I actually had folks offer me cash $$$$ for my lanyard to attend a concert (I declined)...I felt sorry fir the poor CD that had to constantly explain why folks could not attend our concerts which were better then the Cruise Line

I entered for a free cabin also :)

Luck!!

I kind of feel sorry for the CD, but kind of not really. They really should've thought a lot of this through; jacking up the prices really makes matters a lot worse. They won't recoup their costs like this, and in the process, they're angering a LOT of people. And I am willing to bet that there's no way that they would've sold enough of the cabins through their own pricing. And for shows of the magnitude they're trying to pull off would demand pretty much taking over the entertainment segments of the ship.

I severely doubt the RC passengers will be happy about that.

I do wonder if the artist lineup is going to shrink drastically, if the charter even goes forward - there's no way they've made enough money to pay all of those artists, is there? Even at the astronomical rate that they're charging that is a LOT of talent, plus their private chef. I can't imagine that they've sold anywhere near the amount of rooms that they needed to.

I do wonder if the artist lineup is going to shrink drastically, if the charter even goes forward - there's no way they've made enough money to pay all of those artists, is there? Even at the astronomical rate that they're charging that is a LOT of talent, plus their private chef. I can't imagine that they've sold anywhere near the amount of rooms that they needed to.

My thoughts as well. I really think that the lineup will be shrinking very soon. The prices they're asking for are just nuts.

My thoughts as well. I really think that the lineup will be shrinking very soon. The prices they're asking for are just nuts.
Agree -- I wonder how they got out of the full ship charter contract unless it was written with an out. Glad that RCI actually cancelled us last May and that we rebooked with price protection and OBC.

YES!! Maxwell is way, way overpriced. Their single inside cabin is $5,300. That's what I pay for my entire vacation with Capital Jazz: cabin, onboard, flight, hotel, souvenirs, etc. I always travel alone, so I'm already at a disadvantage for pricing, but this is an out-and-out ripoff.

They are either quite naive or quite foolish to think that they were going to sell out at those prices.

Thanks, that was exactly my thought, but I've never been on a jazz full charter, so thought maybe I just didn't understand.

To make it worse, if you go to their Facebook page, people are reporting that if you call and ask, they're flat out lying & claiming it's still a full ship charter!

The "private chef" I find particularly interesting. If it's not a full ship charter, a group can take over an entertainment venue, but don't think you can take over portions of the MDR and the kitchen to have a private menu with your own chef?

The good news is that the issues will be resolved (one way or another) by the final payment date of March 15th...the winners may well be the regular guests that took advantage of the price break after the Freedom was converted from a full charter to a regular sailing....RCI thru it's onboard CD team works with all types of groups every sailing to ensure as smooth coordination as possible

Notmally on a Jazz Charter there may be a Celebrity Chef onboard that will do cooking demonstrations in the atrium that has no impact on what is being served in the main dining venues...not sure how the Maxwell folks plan to have a "Private Chef"....however at the prices being charged for the group anything is possible

Thanks, that was exactly my thought, but I've never been on a jazz full charter, so thought maybe I just didn't understand.

To make it worse, if you go to their Facebook page, people are reporting that if you call and ask, they're flat out lying & claiming it's still a full ship charter!

The "private chef" I find particularly interesting. If it's not a full ship charter, a group can take over an entertainment venue, but don't think you can take over portions of the MDR and the kitchen to have a private menu with your own chef?

I guess they could just have the chef supervise and prepare meals for one deck of the dining room.

On the Capital Jazz SuperCruise (full charter),our guest Celebrity Chefs will do a cooking demonstration in the atrium (often with the assistance of the ships lead chefs) on one of our full days at sea, and a small group will be able to sample ....very well received, the Celebrity Chef will "pitch" their cookbook (that they sign) and take pictures

Not practical from a logistical perspective or cost efficient, for an :rolleyes:outsider private chef:rolleyes: to disrupt the orchestration of meal service for a small segment....the term :D"too many chefs in the kitchen" :Dcomes to mind