Ultimate Dining, in your opinion

mlkmnsgrl

Out of interest, related question to help decide if the UDP is worthwhile, if you eat in the Haven restaurant from the MDR menu, do they cook it in the Haven, or do they bring the food a quarter of a mile from the other end of the ship with a dome on it?

Out of interest, related question to help decide if the UDP is worthwhile, if you eat in the Haven restaurant from the MDR menu, do they cook it in the Haven, or do they bring the food a quarter of a mile from the other end of the ship with a dome on it?

All the MDR food is cooked in the same galley (you can actually visit it if you buy a "Behind the Scenes" tour).

I'm hoping the UDP will result in the regular MDRs being less crowded ;)

Thank you for the UDP info and details. I'm going to do this in November on Jewel, because the last two times on NCL the MDR food wasn't as good as it use to be and the service was very slow.

At least on Dawn reposition cruise few weeks ago the MDRs were crowded as always and the service was pretty slow. It's clear that MDRs are understaffed and that is something that might steer us away from NCL when not cruising in a suite (because that is one thing NCL still does really good). What comes to MDR food quality, many here say that the new menus they are rolling out just now are better than the old ones -- we have never left MDR hungry with either menus.

Edited by Demonyte

I love Ncl and love the specialty dining. I don't care for the mdr at all but the buffet is fantastic IMHO

I also do not overtip but just leave the service charge alone

That being said for some reason I feel obligated to leave an extra cash tip in the specialities

I know I do not HAVE to do this and the up charge will suffice but even though the service on the specialties is definitely not what it used to be I know they are expecting extra so I usually leave $ 10

The reason I am saying this is because I think you should consider the extra tips if you are inclined to leave them should you buy the package

For some reason I never feel obligated to leave an extra tip in the mdr other than the 15% for drinks. Go figure

Edited by Crusin6

You asked for an opinion. I think it makes little sense. You are now "forced" or at least feel like you have to eat in one of those restaurants, every night. You have to make reservations. I would just buy the nights you want, AFTER you board and know what you want to do.

After all, you might not feel like a special dinner one or two nights. Maybe MDR. Maybe eat later. Maybe just buffet. Maybe just Blue Lagoon. Maybe just room service.

Some love the idea. Not me.

I agree with GaryCArla

My teens were amused when I purchased it- I ended up 'returning' it. Who needs heavy food every single night? We have some seriously good food here at home- and who wants to mess with reservations..then the whole OMG! reservations 100 days out now..the whole Freestyle concept kaput. We made several reservations for a dinner and show on a birthday night for one of our upcomings and that is it.. I used to be a CC stalker- I joined last week and was suddenly wrapped up in all the reservation excitement. it didn't last long..

I can only find this information;

Deck 6 Spiegel Tent (cirque-theatrical entertainment dining venue)

Getaway has illusionarium dinner show breakaway Cirque Dreams jungle fantasy Escape show info not yet released

Edited by sjnyc323
tupo

Getaway has illusionarium dinner show breakaway Cirque Dreams jungle fantasy Escape show info not yet released

Suzanne, thank you.

To my point, since the Escape will be constructed similar to the Breakaway,

I'm speculating that the UDP will include cirque-type entertainment/dining on the first night of the cruise.

Until recently, we haven't been interested in “Ultimate Dining” and enjoyed the main dining rooms.

We are not big eaters; this cruise is going to be special.

“I hope I can make it.”

Edited by $hip$hape

Suzanne, thank you.

To my point, since the Escape will be constructed similar to the Breakaway,

I'm speculating that the UDP will include cirque-type entertainment/dining on the first night of the cruise.

Until recently, we haven't been interested in “Ultimate Dining” and enjoyed the main dining rooms.

We are not big eaters; this cruise is going to be special.

“I hope I can make it.”

Wish I wasn't a big eater, lol

I could probably (and sometimes do) have a second breakfast, second lunch, and second dinner haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wish I wasn't a big eater, lol

I could probably (and sometimes do) have a second breakfast, second lunch, and second dinner haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hear 'ya!! So many good things that I have to try...... <sigh>

Sent from my phone - using the Cruise Critic forums app

Our October Getaway cruise will be our first NCL cruise and we are going to do the Ultimate Dining Package. We will dine someplace different each night.

Shari & John

I was on the BA in April. I did 3 specialty restaurants. I enjoyed the lobster in the buffet. I really enjoyed the prime rib in O'Sheehans and Cirque is also not included. It wouldn't have made sense for us to do the udp.

Our October Getaway cruise will be our first NCL cruise and we are going to do the Ultimate Dining Package. We will dine someplace different each night.

Shari & John

Just so you know, you can still eat some place different each night, including 5 specialty restaurants out of your 7 nights, and save money by not buying UDP and just paying as you go.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We loved it on BA.

We had Teppeyaki 2X= $50

Cagney's 2X= $60

Moderno 2x= $40

La Cucina 1x= $15

Cirque 1x= $30 (or is it $40?) (Didn't eat at Cirque- just wanted to see the show)

Total: $195 if we paid as we went

We paid $119 for the package so we definitely saved using the package and that's not even counting the 20% discount from the ala carte places.

We had no trouble walking in and being sat or changing our reservation times. We never had to wait even 1 minute to be sat.

Is the UDP only for dinner once each evening? Could you eat breakfast at one of the specialty restaurants and then dinner somewhere else the same night? Or lunch and then dinner the same day.

I am not sure if the restaurants are only open for dinner.

What is the cost of the dinner show the first evening on the getaway if you just wanted to purchase it alone

Never cruised NCL and trying to determine if we would spend $119 pp.

Thanks

It's only for dinner

But - not just one dinner per night evidently.

Other threads have had reports of UDP holders opting for 2 smaller meals - one before and one after the shows - and both were considered to be part of the UDP.

I also recall someone saying that they did dinner in one specialty restaurant and then went to LeBistro later the same night and ordered just the chocolate fondue.