More whining about wine...a question

Alaska Lily

I know there are many posts about the various aspects of enjoying wine on your voyage and I've enjoyed reading many (especially the ones from POA1 and friends) but I can't find anything specific about the Cellars Master Package. It reads that it includes: "five vintage bottles based on the wine navigators' preference".

I know wine quality is very subjective but...are these bottles superior to theAdmiral's Wine Package or pretty much what we can expect?

I know there are many posts about the various aspects of enjoying wine on your voyage and I've enjoyed reading many (especially the ones from POA1 and friends) but I can't find anything specific about the Cellars Master Package. It reads that it includes: "five vintage bottles based on the wine navigators' preference".

I know wine quality is very subjective but...are these bottles superior to theAdmiral's Wine Package or pretty much what we can expect?

Wine is subjective but for what my limited experience in the wine field is worth -- the Admiral package is supposed to be superior to the Navigator package. For whites - I think the Navigator is better. for reds - the admiral. but that is just my opinon.

We did that package one time, as long as you are not above 3* it is a decent deal IMO :D

Appreciate your info since I am pretty much a cruise newbie (second cruise) and first time on HAL. I like the idea of the wine tastings and sometimes find leaving the sommelier or "wine navigator" to their own devices can work in your favor.:)

If I understood the literature correctly, the Cellar Master's package wines are supposed to be comparable to the Admiral's package except that the wine choices are up to the wine director. I'd ask for details before you commit. If you can guide the selections in the direction you want, it might be worthwhile. You don't want to be stuck with a whole lot of reds if you only drink white or something like that.

They did a tasting of the wines on our recent trip. If they do that, you can taste and see what you like.

Don't be wowed by the fact that they're vintage bottles. Most wine is. (NV Champagne being the most notable exception.)

Most of the wine in the packages rates good to very good. If you know what you like in terms of varietals, you should be fine. The reds do tend to be better in the Admiral's package, but not "crazy better."

If you decide to go with the Cellar Master package, please let us know what you get. If you can give us the producer, wine name, varietal, and vintage, you would be doing a great favor.

Thanks for your advice! Since we did not get the SBP it seems to be a pretty good value if the wines are decent. Do you suggest I wait until we are onboard to inquire about the wine selection?

I will definitely report back with wine specifics!

Thanks for your advice! Since we did not get the SBP it seems to be a pretty good value if the wines are decent. Do you suggest I wait until we are onboard to inquire about the wine selection?

I will definitely report back with wine specifics!

You won't know what the selections are until you get on the ship. The wines shown on the website will probably be different. They were in March. You really won't know about the Cellar Master wines before you board either.

Since you aren't saving with the advance purchase, you might as well wait.

The Navigator's Wine tasting is $15 + 15% gratuity per person and is held on the first sea day.

The Premium Wine tasting is $35 + 15% gratuity and is held on the last sea day on most cruises. We did this one not too long ago and was very disappointed in the presentation and the 4 wines selected to try.

We wait until we are on the ship before we buy a wine package. We like the Admirals package better than the Navigator package. And I know nothing about wines.

Alaska Lily - Watch the daily program for a free or really inexpensive wine tasting early on. We had one on the Noordam. It was not one of the two KK listed, but rather something different. I'm sorry, but I forgot the name.

Thank you all for the comments. Since the "premium" wine tasting included in the Cellar Masters package doesn't appear to be so premium, we may rethink this package and will definitely wait until onboard to order any package.

POA1, we may follow your brilliant example and pick up some of the wine we like in Anchorage and bring on board to enjoy (with corkage fee) until we sort out the situiation on ship. Not too feasible to carry from Florida. Your scientific experimint earlier this year has been well observed! Thank you!

POA1, we may follow your brilliant example and pick up some of the wine we like in Anchorage and bring on board to enjoy (with corkage fee) until we sort out the situiation on ship. Not too feasible to carry from Florida. Your scientific experimint earlier this year has been well observed! Thank you!

You're welcome. When we travel to catch a ship and can't pick up wine beforehand, we either do the packages or buy wine by the bottle. Having researched the package lists for quite a while now (because there is something seriously wrong with me) I can tell you that all the wines I've seen on the package lists have been good, solid wines. As long as you know what wine types you like, you'll be fine. Have a great trip!