Is anything else old or worn out on Jewel?

There are several excellent reviews with photos posted on recent Jewel sailings. Thank you all for those! Radiance class ships are our favorites but I noticed in some of the cabin photos that the TV's are "old school" and not flat screens. That amazes me. Even on some of Princess Cruises older ships the older TV's have been replaced.

What else is old or worn out on Jewel?

There was only one thing I noticed while on Jewel last week. I kept thinking it looked just as nice or better than it did 2 years ago. There is a sculpture of a man in a bathing suit holding a beach call. I noticed just a bit of tarnish on the lower part near the pool. That was all I noticed the entire week.

Jewel is the youngest of the Radiance class ladies - so she is the last to do an "enhancement" dry dock. That's not all bad.

You lose "something" in the enhancements IMHO.

Obviously, my favorite class.

Jewel celebrated it's 10th birthday last week.

You realize that the "smoke" from an e-cig is just water vapor?

While I wouldn't have left, its water vapor that has been in someone's lungs. Breathing that is like having someone sneeze in your face. If they allowed it in a bar area that wouldn't be too bad, but I wish all these people "regaining their freedom" would refrain in elevators and jetways.

While I wouldn't have left, its water vapor that has been in someone's lungs.

ROFL, We all exhale moisture that has been in our lungs with every breathe. Having used an "e-cig" in the past, I can guarantee I could stand right next to you and use it and you wouldn't notice if I wanted you to not notice. You won't smell it, you won't inhale anything you wouldn't ordinarily inhale being around anyone else. Any objection you have to it is completely within your mind.

Most of you got my post wrong, but that doesn't surprise me on these boards! The TV was just an example of what MIGHT be indicative of an older ship. That's it. If the TV's are older tube types I just wondered what else might be old, outdated especially since the ship is scheduled for a refurb in 2016. After reading several recent post the ship appears to be in great shape. We are not rookie cruisers. We cruise 4 times a year two weeks at a time. Rarely on RCCL, mostly on Princess, Regent, and SeaDream. We definitely do not expect perfection and the moderate size ships are our favorites. And we do get out of the room...we take our bicycles (packable/travel bikes) and bike miles at every port (best way to see an island in our opinion), but when we do/choose to spend time in our room we like space and a nice TV. At least once a cruise we stay in the room, order dinner from room service and enjoy a movie...always enjoy that. Recently sailed on the new Royal Princess, never again. Sailed Allure, never again. Just too big, too many people...seem to seperated from the sea. Give me the moderate sized ships, like Jewel, anytime.

To answer your question more to what you may be looking for, we sailed her, last month, and found that she was very nicely maintained. I think the only appreciable wear was the outside area of the Windjammer, but that may have been just the type of flooring they used. I think, overall, she sparkled and we hated having to leave. We were in an aft cabin, 1104, and it did have a flat screen tv so it would appear they are updating them. On a couple port days, we stayed of the ship and relaxed in our cabin.

I guess some of the railings on the promonade deck were actually showing some wear, but that's to be expected. They were resurfacing them in sections, though.

Edited by LarryL

You realize that the "smoke" from an e-cig is just water vapor?

The "smoke" is actually a glycerin or glycol fog, not water vapor (the water vapor thing is a myth spread by the manufacturers). It also contains perfumes and nicotine in addition to the fogging agent. It's probably much safer than cigarette smoke, but it's not just water.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/14/e-cigarette-studies_n_5319225.html

The "smoke" is actually a glycerin or glycol fog, not water vapor (the water vapor thing is a myth spread by the manufacturers). It also contains perfumes and nicotine in addition to the fogging agent. It's probably much safer than cigarette smoke, but it's not just water.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/14/e-cigarette-studies_n_5319225.html

If it concerns you that much, then a cruise ship spewing diesel exhaust into the air is probably a bad place to be. I'll not rely on the huffington post since I don't consider them a legitimate news source and articles like that one with errors in every paragraph written with an agenda is why. I stand by the statement that I could use it and you wouldn't know. The juice was made of vegetable based organic liquid. Your dinner in the mdr probably has more chemicals in it.

The juice was made of vegetable based organic liquid.

Yes, nicotine is a vegetable based organic compound. So is ricin, one of the most lethal poisons known to man. What's your point?

We were on the Jewell April 19th and I guess I must be easy to please I didn't see any thing that bad and I was wondering what everyone was complaining about! To be honest I couldn't tell you about the TV we may have turned it on once? I'm on vacation I want to see the world not a TV can watch that at home!

The day(Sunday) we got back to disembarked in Boston was the day that Hurricane Sandy came... I'm glad you had a great time during that time on the ship. Was it rough seas? I'm sure the captain did his best to avoid unsafe spots...

We stayed in Boston port for two days trying to ride out the storm. There were three of us all together there, with a tug the first night pressing against each ship so that we wouldn't break loose. It was something! When we finally left - around 9 am on Day 3 - it was a bit rough, for the first 24 hours, yes. I was pretty green that night and had a small dinner of chicken, a bun, and a glass of milk and then went to bed at 7:30. The next morning, a huge squall came up and that was exciting and terrifying! But of course we were all safe and happy to be on our way. We did miss two ports - no big deal. :)

ROFL, We all exhale moisture that has been in our lungs with every breathe. Having used an "e-cig" in the past, I can guarantee I could stand right next to you and use it and you wouldn't notice if I wanted you to not notice. You won't smell it, you won't inhale anything you wouldn't ordinarily inhale being around anyone else. Any objection you have to it is completely within your mind.

Your missing the point, but I won't distract from the thread too much more. Your mostly right about smelling or noticing it, but you are putting far more moisture into your lungs and exhaling it far greater concentrations. Most of the time not much of a problem, but if you are getting a cold, flu, or some other ailment are providing a medium that is far more likely to transmit those conditions in far greater concentrations.