Bornholm Public Buses

Does anyone know how much time it would take to travel on the public bus system from Ronne to Hammershus and then to Gudjem and on to Oskerlars ending up back at Ronne. I can't read the bus schedule. I have read posts that it was 1 hour to Hmmershus, but it is only 14 miles away. Does that sound right? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Cindy

Hi

Doable with public transportation - here is an example:

Ronne to Hammershus - 50 minutes - 10:15 to 11:05

Hammershus to Gudjem - 42 minutes - 12:57 to 13:39

Gudjem to Oskerlars - 17 minutes - 14:38 to 14:44

Oskerlars to Ronne - 26 minutes - 15:34 - 16:00

I'll be happy to assist, but then I need to know when to start and finish in Rønne and time at each locations. Send email if you need additional help.

Below the link to the bus schedules - but in order to find locations you need the correct spelling for Rønne and Østerlars

'Afg' is departure - 'Ank' is arrival

http://www.bat.dk/da/forside.aspx

Excellent help has already been given by hallasm, so I will only add:

We absolutely loved Bornholm 2 years ago. We rented a car (near where the shuttle drops you at tourist info center - great rental) and drove around the island quite a bit. We didn't go to Hammerhus but did get to wonderful places like Svaneke, Allinge, Gudgem, Ostelars, etc. Obviously you can do less on the buses, but I would still think you'd have a great time. My pictures are at http://www.pbase.com/roothy123 - just look back until you find the Baltic album or albums. Oh, and one more thing: Tourist info center has WiFi inside and outside of the building. I don't have a tablet but brought my small laptap so I could go online there. When they closed (at 4; assume hours are still the same, but ??) I sat outside and got WiFi there while I waited for the shuttle back to the ship. Also, the ship isn't too terribly far from the TI, so if you have to, you can just walk. What I don't know is how far the TI is from where the bus stop or rest of Ronne is.

One thing that was very helpful was to get a booklet from the tourism office in Ronne that describes every town and has maps of the main ones, plus a map of the island. I was able to get it mailed to me (at a small cost) but assuming you'll be there when the tourist office is open, you can pick one up there. I didn't keep the web site address, but you can probably google it using "Bornholm tourism" or something like that. It was very helpful, and I emailed them (and the port) a couple of times asking questions. If you need help finding the bus stop, post again and I bet either hallasm or I can help. I think that the port shuttle goes close to where the buses come, but after I decided to rent the car, I didn't pursue traveling by bus any further, so I don't know for sure.

Here's some info I had from last year; assume it's still about the same: Port site is roennehavn.dk. Ships dock near Krystodtg. Shuttle starts 8:50; runs every 20 minutes to Snellemark between Tornegade & Storegade; also Tourist Info center. DDK = 16 cents. 10=$1.65, 20=$3.30, 50 = $8.30.

We concentrated on Allinge, Gudhjem, Svaneke, Ostelars – all great. Wish I had gotten to Hammershus. If you rent a car, Europcar is great and close to TI office where shuttle drops you. To use chipless/pinless credit card to fill up at the Q8 gas station near by, go inside and ask attendant for help. Driving around the island was easy. TI office had limited hours (10-4 I believe) so best to order a booklet in advance (small charge – see web site).

Edited by roothy123

here's more info I had:

Hammershus is about 1/5th mile from pkg lot & 15-20 min. walk. There are cool looking sea stacks by Hammershus/Allinge. Hammer Ode Fyr (one up north - see lighthouse p-o & Hammeren map) is small & white. Can park & walk to it easily. There’s also Hammer or Hammeren Fyr further south (see picture of road sign). Hamerso Lake looks promising. For Jon’s Kapel ruins (2.5 miles south of Hammershus) have to climb up/down 150 steps! Hammershus fortress was begun in 1255 by a Swedish archbishop. It has passed from Sweden to Germany to Demark and back several times. Finally in 1658 a Danish hero murdered the Swedish governor and sailed to Denmark to present castle and island to the Danish king. Restoration was completed in 1967. See p-o for Hammer Odde to Hammershus, & Hammershus to Svaneke. Hammerso Lake is not far from Hammershus and looks pretty. GE shows a video of ziplining from side to side.

Stop at Baltic Sea Glass (Melstedveg 47 by water) south of Gudhjem (“Home of God” - see p-o, plus info below). Then continue to Gudhjem where you can board boat to Art Museum. It features work of Danish/Swedish painters from 19th-21st centuries and is up high, giving view to Christianso, 6 ¾ miles offshore. Helligdoms Klipperne is Cliffs of Sanctuary, where many ships crashed on rocks. Ancient streets of Gudhjem are so steep that cyclists must walk bikes up/down hills. See windmill on Mollebakken. There’s herring smokehouse. Also go to glass factory & walk up to Bokul (see p-o for both). Between Gudhjem & Svaneke you will see many houses with thatched roofs.

Ostelars (no map) church opens at 9 when not in use; for 10DKK you get in & can go to roof. Vietsvej 25, 3760 Gudhjem. web: Østerlars Round Church. It has unexcavated cavity under floor, leading to speculation that Knights Templar hid things there. No flash allowed inside. Ostelars is only 1 ¾ mile from Gudhjem

Yes, you can see a lot more with a car.It was not cheap as they charged us around $24 U.S. for insurance they required us to take, plus 605 Danish kroner for the car hire.However, the car (Opel Astra) and service were great (Europcar) and we found it fairly easy to get around the island, with good roads and adequate signs. Of course, my husband has a good sense of direction, and is also not afraid to drive in foreign countries, so that helped

Thank you so much! The Afg and Ank were alarming me. With your help I can now navigate the site, and it looks like it would be doable. We arrive at 8 and depart at 4. Have you been to Bornholm before, or are you just preparing to go now? My son wants to attempt to see the Bison which I now need to re-explore. I took him to Yellowstone to see Bison several years ago, and he saw 2 from a long distance. I had seen about 300 close up about 15 years earlier. I redeem myself at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon 2 years ago. He saw about 40 close up. I realize there were only 7 released in 2012, so the odds of seeing any in the area they were released are extremely remote, but he may enjoy the anticipation. Thank you again so much for assisting me with this site. I'd love to hear about your Baltic Cruise! Safe sailing!

Cindy

Been at Bornholm several times - done the island on bicycle.

Two links about the bisons - second in danish language - maybe Google translate can help

http://www.bornholm.info/en/meet-a-bison

http://naturstyrelsen.dk/naturbeskyttelse/naturprojekter/find-et-naturprojekt/bornholm/bison-bornholm/

Just send a mail if further question on use of the planner.

Thank you so much!! I have planned the trip on the public bus, but I can't tell how much the tickets are. The rental car is about $100 US before the insurance of $24 discussed above. How much are the 1 day tickets for children, an adult, and one over 65? I assume the 24 hour pass is less than tickets to Hammershus, Osterlars and back to Ronne. Thank you.

Cindy

A one day ticket costs 150 kroner for people 16 years and older and 75 for childrens and/or senior citizens.

Every adult can take 2 childrens under 12 years old for free.

One kid/senior citizens can include a kid under 12 years old on their ticket.

If the bus goes directly from point to point you will pay 52, 39 and 52 kroner so its 143 kroner but its probably better to use the 7 kroners and be on the save side.

Thank you so much!! I have planned the trip on the public bus, but I can't tell how much the tickets are. The rental car is about $100 US before the insurance of $24 discussed above. How much are the 1 day tickets for children, an adult, and one over 65? I assume the 24 hour pass is less than tickets to Hammershus, Osterlars and back to Ronne. Thank you.

Cindy

Hhm..took a quick look, and I couldn't figure out the prices either. I think the klippekort they are referring to are like the packet of klippekort (little paper tickets) I used in Copenhagen. If so, they are clipped/used for each zone and each trip you take. Every stamp of a klippekort uses up at least one ticket. I found a zone map on the bus site hallasm gave, but it's not clear whether passing through one zone means one clip or what.

That 24 hour pass is expensive (although everything in Denmark IS expensive), so I would assume it's really more appropriate for someone going to a lot of places in a 24 hour period! Also, I assume you'd need one pass per person, whereas the packet of klippekorts can probably be shared among your family.

In any case, I assume hallasm will see this and give more info than I can!

Thank you both for your help. There will be at least 1 transfer between Hammershus and Osterlars does this mean I pay more? I have an 8 year old and a 14 year old so I calculated about 300 Kroner for the 4 of us. Are there the same type of children and senior discounts for the individual fares? Thank you so much.

Cindy

The price is also depending on time - one ticket will be valid for a certain time.

The 'klippekort' will be the most economical solution - more people can travel on the same cart - let me know where you want to travel and timing, then I can try to calculate a price.

A rental car will be DKK 500 to 700 and much more flexible

Thank you so much. Either Bus 2 leaving Ronnehavn at 8:10 or more likely 9:03 to Hammershus; Bus 7 to Bus 9 going to Osterlars Round Church at 11:08 or Bus 2 to 1 leaving at 11:57; back to Ronnehavn on either Bus 5 or 4 at either 12:34 or 12:38 or Bus 1 at 13:21 or Bus 1 at 14:21 (most likely). Our ages are 8, 14, 53, and 76. Thank you for your help. I would love to rent a car but the least expensive I could find is $100 and if one of the other blogs is correct I will have to add $24 US for insurance. We are on a tight budget so the public transportation looks like it is less than have the price of the car. Thanks again.

Cindy

Looks like you have made a good job with the busses.:)

You should be able to do theround trip for a total of DKK 186.00 for the four of you

- a bit less than the DKK 680 for a rental car.

1 adult, 1 senior, 1 child below 16 years and one free child below 12 years

- Rønne to Hammershus - 4 zones

- Hammershus to Østerlars - 3 zones

- Østerlars to Rønne - 4 zones

Total of 11 zones for adult

1 x One Zone multi-ride ticket (klippekort) DKK 85,00 + 1 x one zone ticket DKK 13,00

Total of 22 zones for Child and senior

1 x two zone multi-ride ticket (klippekort) DKK 85,00 + 1 x one zone ticket DKK 13,00 - two people can travel at the same 'klippekort'

The 'klippekort' for Adult and Child/Senior is same price but two different tickets.

You might want to visit Bornholms Velkomstcenter, Ndr. Kystvej 3, Rønne at arrival (next to the harbour) - her you can also buy tickets and get advise - tickets can also be bought at the bus.

Thank you so much for all the time you took to do this. I will follow your advice and go to the Visitor Center with your post in hand. If you ever need any advice on the US please let me know. I live in Miami, but have lived in L.A., Virginia Beach, Nashville, Atlanta, Houston, and D.C. Thank you again. Cindy

We are going to Bornholm as well in July. We looked at the bus system but since we are just going for the day and time is limited, we decided to rent a car. I think we got a price of $107 US for the larger car. I hope that we can get maps and info from the tourist information center there.

Momma & angeleyes: The tourist information center there didn't open very early when we were there. If you want to preview some of their info, however, the website is http://www.bornholm.info/en

You can download their excellent brochure (although it is BIG) or just flip through there on line and hopefully get a copy when you get there, assuming you can wait until they open. Of course, if you're only going to a few places you could just print out a few maps! I ended up paying for their brochure to be mailed to me and then tore out appropriate pages for places we were likely to get to.

Angeleyes: $107 sounds like a good price for a rental car! As for driving, I always go on viamichelin.com and get directions. That site is great for Europe. There are also maps for the major towns in the brochure, and a number of road signs pointing you in the correct direction to towns. Driving was pretty easy.

hallasm, you are great!