Balcony, is it worth the difference

prchoudh

I am looking at going on an Alaskan cruise in July. The difference between the inside and outside cabin is $500. The difference between the outside cabin and the balcony is $2500. This difference is based on 2 adults. Is the balcony really worth the extra $2500?

Only you can decide that, based upon your values, and most importantly your budget. We always have a balcony, on every cruise, but that is us.

The fact is you will be out and viewing everything from all over the ship. So a balcony is not required.

Its your decision but for me no way. I sail in about a month for trips # 21 & 22 to Alaska and have never had a balcony. Most times I sail in an inside or obstructed and spend my time out on deck and the money saved on excursions or the next cruise.

I'm doing my first Alaskan cruise at the end of this month so I can't comment on if it's actually worth it but I can tell you that the Balcony rooms may experience a price drop closer to your departure date which means you could upgrade to Balcony room for less than what it currently costs.

For example, when we booked our Oceanview Room in late March it would have cost an extra $700 for a Balcony Room however there was a price drop in early May and now the upgrade is only $200 (and of course we jumped at it).

If money is really tight you could book a room and then take your chances and hope for a price drop. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

1st trip we had inside cabin. It was cold on deck. 2nd time we had a balcony. I was able to pop inside when I got too cold, & didn't have to try to find a good viewing spot. My advise, get what you can afford & enjoy your cruise

Our first cruise was to Alaska and it was a long overdue celebration of our 20th anniversary so we splurged and got a suite with a balcony. Unfortunately, I think we spoiled ourselves with that balcony. :) We like being able to pop outside whenever we want. My husband is a bit claustrophobic so he wouldn't do well in an inside.

We enjoyed the scenery from inside, but truly, after we left Vancouver it was pretty cool out there so we didn't spend a lot of time on it. As someone else said, $2,500 is another cruise. It isn't mandatory and won't ruin your Alaska experience if you don't get one. Spend that money on some awesome excursions.

IMHO all the previous posters have given great, sound advice. My first and second time to AK (both 7 days) were in balcony cabins on a HAL Vista ship. Loved it and spent almost every waking hour out there feeding my obsessiont o scan the sea for whales and other wildlife. Often times bundled up and always, always having my first cup of Joe out there. Perfect.

Then my next two cruises (on HAL's 14 day itinerary on the Amsterdam, a much smaller ship) we sailed in an OV near the aft 'secret decks' - and it was more than fine! Having that secret deck just steps outside my cabin door was like having my own balcony anyway - but for much, much less $$$$.

Now, I am about to embark on HAL's 14 day itinerary this coming Sunday - for the third time, and once again booked that special OV cabin. For much, much, much less $ than a balcony would cost on that ship. I personally cannot justify spending more for a balcony on the itinerary I love because I'm rarely in the cabin anyway - always out on deck or viewing the majestic scenery from the Crows Nest, the secret decks, the Lido deck or any of the numerous interior viewing spots the Amsterdam offers when the weather is really horrendous. I always am well-prepared for any time of weather - that waterproof outer layer being most important, and I do not let the liquid sunshine stop me from being outside - both on the ship and in port.

Save your $$$ for must-do (for you) excursions and for future trips to the Great Land. Do an OV or even an Inside, whatever you can afford. There are plenty of wonderful public spaces to take advantage of all over the ship.

Wishing you a wonderful first-time trip to Alaska - trust me, you'll be back;).

I am doing my first balcony to Alaska....other than getting a "good price" that I could justify it, I am excited to use my camera on a tripod without feeling i am hogging up deck space :D Plus, I am a very early riser who can grab a cup of coffee and grab blankets and sit out until everyone else wakes up :D

I've done inside and balcony; inside is fine' date=' balcony is better. I love when the snobs weigh in, "I'd never sail in anything less than a balcony!". $2500 is another cruise. Watching for price drops after the final payment date is solid advice.[/quote']

I agree. $2500 is another cruise... or some pretty amazing excursions! I wish I had so much money that I could even consider it, but I don't. We are taking 4 teens/young adults this July. Our 3 inside cabins probably cost as much (or less) than what some people will pay for 2 people in a balcony or suite. We may be on a very tight budget, but we will have fun anyway!

It's a personal decision, as you can see from these responses. We've sailed in every type--from interior to suite. Obviously, everyone WANTS a nicer cabin. BUT how important is it really?

That depends on what you want to do, if you are clausterphobic and your budget. Alaska is often rainy and cold. If you dislike being outdoors when it is cold, you may just be peeking through the windows for $2500.

If you don't plan to spend much time in the cabin and don't have a high budget, save money with an interior and buy shore excursions (that's what we do in Alaska, where the costs are high and good balcony time is low--for us). However, if you plan mostly to sit outside, drink coffee, pull out the binoculars and view the scenery, upgrade! You won't be bothered by crowds. It's weird, but it's human instinct to flock together---people will walk a full empty promenade to stand at the rail right in front of you. This effectively changes your sea view to their butts.

Warm weather cruises are different. We tend to upgrade to a balcony on Mexico/Caribbean cruises, where shore excursions are cheap, and the air is warm.

Whatever you book, do what gives you the most pleasure and have a great cruise!

I am doing my first balcony to Alaska....other than getting a "good price" that I could justify it, I am excited to use my camera on a tripod without feeling i am hogging up deck space :D Plus, I am a very early riser who can grab a cup of coffee and grab blankets and sit out until everyone else wakes up :D

All good reasons to have a balcony! Hope you get some beautiful pics!

It's weird, but it's human instinct to flock together---people will walk a full empty promenade to stand at the rail right in front of you. This effectively changes your sea view to their butts.

LOL That is my pet peeve. I'll be sitting on the promenade reading and watching the world go by and with a 1000 foot long ship they pick the spot directly in front of me to stop. And they then look at me like I'm the idiot when I politely ask them to move 10 feet either way.

Some people are just clueless.

I agree with the posters who say it really comes down to your choice. Do you think the balcony is worth the extra moolah. Personally, we are in the balcony always club. We love having a glass of wine out there no matter the temp and seeing what we can see. This trip (13 and a wake up) we took the last cabin on the starboard side. Just outside our door is the rear balcony on the Coral. So we have two balconies in effect so we can see about 270 degrees around the aft portion of the ship. Have seen Orca's off that back balcony before. I guess we just love the balconies so they are our choice all the time. I hope you enjoy the natures wonderland that Alaska is.

Cheers, Kenn

PS We are on the Coral Princess out of Vancouver on the 31st of May

thanks. You are do bring up great points. I was adding up the costs as I have to present the final costs to the DW. I am comparing the cost against Maui and as I started to add up the shore excursions and the outside cabin, I was having to cut back on the shore excursions and planning other things.

When I went on Carnival the last time, I did an inside cabin and it was okay. Getting used to 24 hour darkness was a little odd but then again, we got used to it. We do like to spend time inside the cabin to escape the crowds.

It all comes down to personal preference. There is no right or wrong answer.

We are among those who prefer to have a balcony on every cruise. Of course, we get out and about the ship to view different vantage points, especially since my wife takes thousands of pictures on every cruise. But, we do spend a lot of time on our balcony.

In our opinion, nothing beats sitting on your own balcony and watching the world go by, or standing on your balcony watching the glaciers calving, bald eagles swooping across the water, humpback whales breeching, and harbor seals playing in the water, and watching the sun dipping into the sea at the end of the day.

Happy cruising to all!

Edited by JimAOk1945

The last time we went to Alaska (our first cruise) we were on deck 2 OV, and we found that we loved setting in our bed and watching the waves crash almost at eye level...when I have gone to the Caribbean we have had joining balconies in two side by side rooms and we have had a family OV. So for this Alaskan I am getting a JS (mainly for the bathtub so I can warm up after freezing outside, lol) and I plan on using the balcony when we are there to watch the world go by.