1st Time on RCI / IOTS

Good Afternoon,

Hubby & I will be sailing on IOTS in October for 4 nights.

Whilst we have cruised before this will be our 1st cruise with RCI / on IOTS.

I would be grateful if anyone could kindly answer the following questions: -

1) When & how will we know / be advised of our embarkation time?

2) When you board are the cabins normally ready? If not, what time are they normally available?

3) How to people normally dress on a formal night? The website seems to say either a tux or suit for men & a cocktail dress for ladies. Hubby has both & I have what I would consider to be very formal evening dresses. So my real question is, are formal nights on RCI like P&O (what I consider to be very formal) or could we get away with (from a luggage perspective) a suit & cocktail dress as opposed to a tux & full length gown?

4) I’ve been looking at the Cruise Compass someone very kindly posted on the forum, albeit for a different ship. I note a reference to booking shows, is this something we need to do on IOTS? How does this work, are you booking a specific seat or just a space so they know numbers etc?

5) Any other ‘tips’ for IOTS or must do’s would be greatly appreciated as I suspect the 4 days will go very quickly & I want to do as much as I possibly can.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Your embarkation time will be shown on your SetSail (boarding) Pass. You print this when you have completed the oline check-in and have paid in full.

Staterooms are usually available around 1:30pm.

There is no pre-cruise booking of shows on Indy. The ice show does require tickets, and you will be informed about this once you are on board.

Good Afternoon,

Hubby & I will be sailing on IOTS in October for 4 nights.

Whilst we have cruised before this will be our 1st cruise with RCI / on IOTS.

I would be grateful if anyone could kindly answer the following questions: -

1) When & how will we know / be advised of our embarkation time?

2) When you board are the cabins normally ready? If not, what time are they normally available?

3) How to people normally dress on a formal night? The website seems to say either a tux or suit for men & a cocktail dress for ladies. Hubby has both & I have what I would consider to be very formal evening dresses. So my real question is, are formal nights on RCI like P&O (what I consider to be very formal) or could we get away with (from a luggage perspective) a suit & cocktail dress as opposed to a tux & full length gown?

4) I’ve been looking at the Cruise Compass someone very kindly posted on the forum, albeit for a different ship. I note a reference to booking shows, is this something we need to do on IOTS? How does this work, are you booking a specific seat or just a space so they know numbers etc?

5) Any other ‘tips’ for IOTS or must do’s would be greatly appreciated as I suspect the 4 days will go very quickly & I want to do as much as I possibly can.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Welcome to cruise critic and here's wishing you a great cruise.

1. The latest time to board should be in the cruise documents you get. I am not actually certain because personally we usually get there early. You should be able to board by at least somewhere between 11 a.m. and noon.

2. Cabins are not usually ready until around 1 p.m.

3. A suit and cocktail dress for formal night will be fine. There will be some in tuxes, but probably most will not be. Many will not even wear a tie. Personally, I like to dress formally for formal night.

4. I don't think you need to book in advance on Independence but its been a while since our cruise on her so I will defer to more recent cruisers.

5. Explore the ship and have a great time. Many great places for having a good time and/our sea gazing and relaxing. There should be several threads out there on the facilities and amenities of Independence and her sisters Freedom and Liberty. These three ships are very similar so descriptions of one generally fit all three, although the venue names may change.

Again -- have a great time.

IOS is a great ship and crew!! :)

The tickets are for any seat and there is a line up at the door before it opens usually. It is a great ice show and most seats are very good to see the show.

Formal nights can be from smart casual to very formal. Which ever you would prefer. Even seen less than smart casual.......

Have a great cruise!!!

IOS is a great ship and crew!! :)

The tickets are for any seat and there is a line up at the door before it opens usually. It is a great ice show and most seats are very good to see the show.

Formal nights can be from smart casual to very formal. Which ever you would prefer. Even seen less than smart casual.......

Have a great cruise!!!

LOL -- imagine running into you an Independence thread. Maybe this would be a good place for that picture of you [both of you] my DW and a few others enjoying the music [in the Pyramid Lounge I think].

Hope you have been told that 4 day cruises out of the UK are not really like a longer cruise.

By that I mean the demographics are very different.

Expect a lot of hen nights and stag parties but these can add to the fun!!