Linda's first poll

Bearing in mind her age, what should Thomson do about the Dream in 2015?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Bearing in mind her age, what should Thomson do about the Dream in 2015?

• Go on as they are leasing the ship
    • Buy her from Costa
    • Return her to Costa and invest in a newer ship

Now this may be a bit controversial;)

When Thomson leased the Dream from Costa in 2010, I understand they leased her for 10 years with an option to buy her after 5 years. Now with the five year deadline due in 2015, what do you think Thomson should do?

I've said continuing to lease the ship for now. Of course, what I'd love them to do is to scrap the current fleet completely and start sailing a fleet of brand new ships, but realistically, that isn't going to happen is it. :(

I do like the Dream, I think it is a slight step-up from Celebration and Spirit as it doesn't have the vibration issues, but you can't get away from the fact it is old.

I'd say, ditch Spirit and Majesty once its leases run out, replace them with much newer 2000-built ships with good refurbs, and then build two brand new ships to replace Celebration and Dream when those leases are up ready for some brand new arrivals soon.

I have a feeling though in 5 years time we will be discussing the same fleet that might be having some new carpets fitted somewhere as part of a refurb plan. If so, I don't think I will be cruising with Thomson anymore then. We'll see...

I have a feeling though in 5 years time we will be discussing the same fleet that might be having some new carpets fitted somewhere as part of a refurb plan. If so, I don't think I will be cruising with Thomson anymore then. We'll see...

Oh I so agree with you Sailaway :rolleyes::rolleyes::D

I've said continuing to lease the ship for now. Of course, what I'd love them to do is to scrap the current fleet completely and start sailing a fleet of brand new ships, but realistically, that isn't going to happen is it. :(

I do like the Dream, I think it is a slight step-up from Celebration and Spirit as it doesn't have the vibration issues, but you can't get away from the fact it is old.

I'd say, ditch Spirit and Majesty once its leases run out, replace them with much newer 2000-built ships with good refurbs, and then build two brand new ships to replace Celebration and Dream when those leases are up ready for some brand new arrivals soon.

My thoughts are that your final paragraph will be closer to the reality than your penultimate paragraph. I feel sure we will see the Dream for a few more years and I personally do not have an issue with that. I expect to see the others particularly the Celebration for a few more years too. I wouldn't be surprised if the Dream has a major makeover in the next couple of years.

I voted buy her from Costa.

Being realistic, Thomson are not going to suddenly buy 4 new ships.

Buying the Dream would allow Thomson to do a major refurb as HT suggests which they wouldn't do on a leased ship.

I like the feeling of space on the Dream, the outside space, the cabin sizes and the showlounge.

If it came to replacing one or two of the ships with a newer second hand ship or a new build, I would rather it was one of the other ships.

I know it will sound daft, but the thing I really dislike about the Dream is the dark wood in some of the cabins. The Braemar is not much newer than the Dream, but everywhere is light wood and makes the ship seem much bigger than it is (23,000 tons)

Perhaps if Thomson bought her they would give her a complete refit, including bathrooms (ours was the old pink type with chipped enamel)

Can you see the results Linda? What do they look like currently.
I didn't realize that no-one except me could see them. I thought it just stopped people seeing who had voted for what :o

Be patient with me ;)

Anyway, at present it is 2 for leasing, 3 for buying and 4 for returning her.

Edited by CRUISIN LINDA

I voted to continue leasing Dream but now I'm not sure. It's a tricky question.

I was told she is having some work done to her in October (but he probably got that wrong as she is still cruising in October) so it may not be correct anyway. He mentioned refurbishing Sirens restaurant and some work in the "engine rooms". But I consider that it is the cabins and bathrooms that need a major overhaul and that would be very costly.

In fact all the Thomson ship's cabins need a major overhaul.

I was just wondering how these leases work. Do Thomson have to keep her for 10 years or do they have the option of returning her after 5 years?

Also, remembering what happened with Destiny, could Costa just recall her and replace her with another ship?

The world of high finance - so complicated!!

I voted give it back and upgrade to a newer ship .

Should be plenty of choice when all other lines seem to be going for new builds .

Congrats on your first poll Linda , look forward to you telling us the final results .:)

Thanks kalos :) I thought I should not have made it private, but on reflection I think this "secret ballot" is better :)

I made it a month as I am away over half term.

Not telling you the exact figures, just to tell you that the third option is winning at the moment ;)

I voted for the 3rd option too.

We are very much a poor relation when it comes to our German cousins.

If they can have nice new ships for them, then why not us?

I think the answer is because we keep putting up with it, the only reason that we do put up with it is that the staff and entertainment are brilliant compared to other cruise lines.

I don't know what the answer is to getting new ships, because if us regulars start voting with our feet and go elsewhere there are always new cruisers that come along and fill the places.

One thing I do know, when they let go of one or more of the ships we will all be on here lamenting the loss, I still miss the Destiny.

Linda I am so impressed.:)

I voted to buy as I also like the ship and don't think there is a cat in hells chance of getting a new one.

I agree about the bathrooms though. I think that should have been a bigger priority than new curtains and duvet covers

I voted to buy as I also like the ship and don't think there is a cat in hells chance of getting a new one.

I agree about the bathrooms though. I think that should have been a bigger priority than new curtains and duvet covers

I had holes in my Dream duvet cover, Vera. Not a good first impression but a few things went wrong in the first two days.

I had holes in my Dream duvet cover, Vera. Not a good first impression but a few things went wrong in the first two days.

My towels were grey, I was disgusted and would have complained but didn't know who to, as the steward just uses what he is given. I did put a note in the questionnaire box, and wrote it twice on the form.;)

Easy to do Vera, I just followed sailaway's instructions :D I am impressed that you have mastered windows8 :)