Linda's first poll

Bearing in mind her age, what should Thomson do about the Dream in 2015?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Bearing in mind her age, what should Thomson do about the Dream in 2015?

• Go on as they are leasing the ship
    • Buy her from Costa
    • Return her to Costa and invest in a newer ship

I haven't been on much lately, Linda, so thanks for pointing this out to me.

We have been away a couple of trips, in fact, I am still away.

Perhaps my agreement with rookery was a bit rash, HT.

In broad strokes, I don't think the Dream provided the same standard of Thomson experience to us as we have had on previous cruises. The service in the dining room was very slow and the food was well below the usual standard. In Oceans Bar we frequently had to go to the bar for service and the same was true in Sirens in the day time and in the Lido, particularly in the evenings, where we had to either search for a waiter or go to the bar. There were waiters in Sirens who seemed in the main to be selling drinks packages or evening meals. The entertainment wasn't so good either in particular the quality of the singing and the deckfests and sailaway party.

These issues may be down to Thomson policies, budgets or some of the ship's departments not being well run. It does seem that the Louis ships are giving a better all round product at the moment.

I would agree with you Little Nell. Sadly I'm of the opinion that these issues are down to management - but I believe that to be the result of cost cutting which can only have been sanctioned, if not directed, from the top.

And that's what worries me - after many Thomson cruises, I found the food very disappointing on our last trip and that's what prompted us to look elsewhere and have found that the standard of food - quality, choice and variety was in a different league.

I am hopeful that Thomson may have a re-think in this respect as I can forgive the dated and somewhat cramped ships but we look forward to the dining as part of our cruise experience and last time we found the menus lacked appeal, variety and quality so in that respect the cruise didn't live up to expectations. This could be remedied but that's a management decision and requires the will to address it. So I too think there is an issue with the management of the Dream - I couldn't comment on Celebration as we haven't been on recently to compare with our past experiences. Perhaps they don't care and can continue to sell cabins and be profitable but it matters to us and makes it far more likely that we will sail with someone else.

Welcome home Kruzseeka, hope you had a good time :)

Yes thanks Linda we had a fab time! :)

Don't feel it's appropriate really to do a review it on here but if anyone wants to ask questions about our experience of Celebrity feel free to ask although perhaps it should be on a different thread.

But on the subject of your poll Linda, I voted to continue to lease the Dream (on the basis of it being unlikely that Thomson will ever get a new ship) - well I think I did :confused: But I'm coming to the conclusion for us at least that Thomson need to up their game in terms of the hardware. Having now been on a couple of ships with a pax load of around 2K, my ideas have changed. I think they need to invest in newer ships - if not new. I'm not into gimmicks and attractions but a ship where you can find a lounger even on sea days, a covered and outdoor pool, spacious lounge areas with more bars to choose from and greater selection of eateries definitely has an appeal! A ship which is considerably bigger but without the proportional increase in passengers means one thing - more room. :rolleyes:

If Thomson put their distinctive product (at its best with the food, service and entertainment we have all experienced in the past) it would take some beating!

Lots of people say they would not go on a bigger ship, but we found the Crown Princess (3,000 passengers) and Jewel of the Seas (2,500 passengers) fine and not too big at all. I don't fancy the really big ships as IOTS was too big for us, but we found the mid sized ships (90,000 - 115,00 tons) OK and just as friendly as Thomson :)

Glad you had a good time :)

Yes thanks Linda we had a fab time! :)

Don't feel it's appropriate really to do a review it on here but if anyone wants to ask questions about our experience of Celebrity feel free to ask although perhaps it should be on a different thread.

But on the subject of your poll Linda, I voted to continue to lease the Dream (on the basis of it being unlikely that Thomson will ever get a new ship) - well I think I did :confused: But I'm coming to the conclusion for us at least that Thomson need to up their game in terms of the hardware. Having now been on a couple of ships with a pax load of around 2K, my ideas have changed. I think they need to invest in newer ships - if not new. I'm not into gimmicks and attractions but a ship where you can find a lounger even on sea days, a covered and outdoor pool, spacious lounge areas with more bars to choose from and greater selection of eateries definitely has an appeal! A ship which is considerably bigger but without the proportional increase in passengers means one thing - more room. :rolleyes:

If Thomson put their distinctive product (at its best with the food, service and entertainment we have all experienced in the past) it would take some beating!

So glad things went well for you, Kruzseeka :)

Would love to see your review of celebrity kruz, it's good to get an opinion of other lines from seasoned Thomson cruisers.

I think many of us on here are looking at other options.

PS, welcome back.

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Forums mobile app

Would love to see your review of celebrity kruz, it's good to get an opinion of other lines from seasoned Thomson cruisers.

I think many of us on here are looking at other options.

PS, welcome back.

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Forums mobile app

Thanks Joe :)

Won't high jack Linda's poll thread - perhaps I'll put something on the 'Hello Kruzseeka' thread. Don't want to do a full review on this forum but will list some of the things we noticed or made an impression. I know I am interested in everyone's experiences and hope that info sharing might be useful to others. Might not be until tomorrow though. Beginning to flag. ;)

Beginning to flag. ;)

Hope you had a good night's rest Kruzseeka :)

We have had a terrible storm here overnight and no electricity for 3 hours. What with the storm and DH snoring (what is it with men who can sleep through anything ? :rolleyes:) and me worrying about the stuf in the freezer, I only got 3 hours sleep, so off to bed later for a snooze if I am going to watch the England match :D

Would love to hear about your opinion of Celebrity compared to Thomson, when you have the time :)

Hope you had a good night's rest Kruzseeka :)

We have had a terrible storm here overnight and no electricity for 3 hours. What with the storm and DH snoring (what is it with men who can sleep through anything ? :rolleyes:) and me worrying about the stuf in the freezer, I only got 3 hours sleep, so off to bed later for a snooze if I am going to watch the England match :D

Would love to hear about your opinion of Celebrity compared to Thomson, when you have the time :)

Sorry you didn't have a good night Linda - nor did I because I have come home with a rotten cold - the sort which makes you feel really rubbishy! No evidence of illness on board - not even the usual coughing and spluttering but clearly I've picked it up somewhere. Nevermind it will pass - one of those things but fortunately didn't hit me until I was on the way home. Will do my thoughts later - must dose myself up a bit more and perhaps I'll get round to it today - after all not feeling great means I can't possibly tackle the shopping and ironing :rolleyes: - at least for a bit! Every cloud......:D

Sorry you didn't have a good night Linda - nor did I because I have come home with a rotten cold - the sort which makes you feel really rubbishy! No evidence of illness on board - not even the usual coughing and spluttering but clearly I've picked it up somewhere. Nevermind it will pass - one of those things but fortunately didn't hit me until I was on the way home. Will do my thoughts later - must dose myself up a bit more and perhaps I'll get round to it today - after all not feeling great means I can't possibly tackle the shopping and ironing :rolleyes: - at least for a bit! Every cloud......:D

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well Kruzseeka. No you can't posibly do shopping or washing :rolleyes: Would your DH do it though? :D

I nearly always come home with some sort of bug! Had two more doses of tummy trouble last week and DH had it on Sunday. Perhaps we should give up our holidays :eek: Perhaps not though :D

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well Kruzseeka. No you can't posibly do shopping or washing :rolleyes: Would your DH do it though? :D

I nearly always come home with some sort of bug! Had two more doses of tummy trouble last week and DH had it on Sunday. Perhaps we should give up our holidays :eek: Perhaps not though :D

Gone shopping - well DH obviously not me! :D Since I'm indisposed and clearly unable to iron ;) have been using that as an excuse to sit and tap away at the laptop so now I've done my thoughts. Will put them on the Hello Kruzseeka thread in a mo.