Iceland Air potential strike

bugeater2

I currently hold tickets for June 13th, 2014 and it is now being reported that the Iceland Air cabin crew will be going on strike from June 12th at 6:00am through June 14th at 6:00am.

My cruise does not depart until June 22nd, 2014 but I insured my entire trip for 3 weeks to cover the 7 day cruise and 14 day land trip.

I purchased travel insurance from Travelex and have the Travel Select plan for 2 people for a listed trip amount of $4000 / each.

Can somebody tell me what my options are once the flight is officially cancelled which I don't expect to happen until the 12th at the earliest?

Do I have to wait for Iceland Air to attempt to reschedule me on new flights or can I take matters into my own hands and book my own flights to Europe?

If the policy states that Trip Interruption is 150%, does that mean I have $6000 per person to make other flight arrangements?

I look forward to your responses.

I currently hold tickets for June 13th, 2014 and it is now being reported that the Iceland Air cabin crew will be going on strike from June 12th at 6:00am through June 14th at 6:00am.

My cruise does not depart until June 22nd, 2014 but I insured my entire trip for 3 weeks to cover the 7 day cruise and 14 day land trip.

I purchased travel insurance from Travelex and have the Travel Select plan for 2 people for a listed trip amount of $4000 / each.

Can somebody tell me what my options are once the flight is officially cancelled which I don't expect to happen until the 12th at the earliest?

Do I have to wait for Iceland Air to attempt to reschedule me on new flights or can I take matters into my own hands and book my own flights to Europe?

If the policy states that Trip Interruption is 150%, does that mean I have $6000 per person to make other flight arrangements?

I look forward to your responses.

Most travel insurance companies post an exclusion page that shows any specific upcoming events that would be excluded in your policy.

I couldn't find this page on Travelex's website but I'm sure it's buried in there somewhere.

Why am I telling you this?

Let's say for example that the flight attendant union announced on Jan 1, 2014, that they "may" strike in June 2014,,,, travel insurance companies may place that airline in their exlcuded list for that time frame. Even if the press doesn't annouce the news until May 2014,,, the information was still made public.

Therefore, any airline tickets purchased after Jan 1, 2014 on that specific airline for scheduled travel during the projected strike timeframe may or may not be covered by the travel insurance company.

If you bought your ticket on Dec 31, 2013 (before the announcement) your OK.

Basically,,, I'm saying you need to call Travelex and find out if your covered or not. Then go from there.

Could be that someone on here can provided a link to Travelex"s exclusion page (or whatever Travelex calls it.)

Most travel insurance companies post an exclusion page that shows any specific upcoming events that would be excluded in your policy.

I couldn't find this page on Travelex's website but I'm sure it's buried in there somewhere.

Why am I telling you this?

Let's say for example that the flight attendant union announced on Jan 1, 2014, that they "may" strike in June 2014,,,, travel insurance companies may place that airline in their exlcuded list for that time frame. Even if the press doesn't annouce the news until May 2014,,, the information was still made public.

Therefore, any airline tickets purchased after Jan 1, 2014 on that specific airline for scheduled travel during the projected strike timeframe may or may not be covered by the travel insurance company.

If you bought your ticket on Dec 31, 2013 (before the announcement) your OK.

Basically,,, I'm saying you need to call Travelex and find out if your covered or not. Then go from there.

Could be that someone on here can provided a link to Travelex"s exclusion page (or whatever Travelex calls it.)

I am aware of that restriction but I purchased the airfare and trip insurance June 2013 so *should* be ok.

I did e-mail Travelex but that was absolutely a complete waste of time. They basically told me to call their post-purchase department.

I will wait a couple of weeks to see if things change between now and then but it looks like I'm going to have to get up at zero dark thirty and call them with my questions before work.

This site has a billion trip insurance threads but very few with peoples real life dealings with the insurance companies.

Thanks,

Where are you getting $6000 per person to make new flight arrangements? Your $4000 in coverage per person can't possibly be all for your flight costs. There's nothing you can do until your flight is officially cancelled, and usually in this type of situation, the airline will rebook you, even if they have to pay to place you on another airline.

Where are you getting $6000 per person to make new flight arrangements? Your $4000 in coverage per person can't possibly be all for your flight costs. There's nothing you can do until your flight is officially cancelled, and usually in this type of situation, the airline will rebook you, even if they have to pay to place you on another airline.

The $4000 is the insured amount of the whole trip not just my air portion.

My trip interruption Maximum coverage is 150% of the insured trip cost.

I was just trying to figure out what options would be available to me if my flight does get cancelled. Would I HAVE to take the rebooked flights from IcelandAir or would I be able to rebook my own flights and submit that airfare to insurance if I felt that the IcelandAir rebooking was inadequate?

There is ONLY one option for rebooking as it is. The ONLY other North American flight to Iceland is DL470 ex-JFK. That one flight cannot handle all the passengers who need to rebook from the 13 departure cities affected by the strike.

At this point I am going to have to wait and see what happens on their upcoming strike dates prior to mine.

Edited by bugeater2

• 2 weeks later...
I have a similar problem with Aer Lingus going on strike May 30, will let you know what happens with our insurance.

Curious as to the service you are receiving from your trip insurance. Sorry that your flights were cancelled. :mad: