Please help me choose the right itinerary for our FIRST cruise!

rileyshadow

We are looking to book our first cruise for our 15-year anniversary and the options are overwhelming! Please help me choose!

I should mention: my dh is "nervous" to venture outside the US (I'm 40; he's 37; and neither of us have ever left the country - pathetic, I know), so ports of call are VERY important - I don't want to choose the wrong ports because I don't want him to say this is our last cruise. No pressure, right?!

As for our interests, we would likely look to do something different in each port - zip lining, shipwrecks, snorkeling, snuba, caves, island tours, cultural, sight seeing, and shopping all appeal to us. And while we wouldn't just plop down on the beach for the day, I'd love to visit a beautiful beach with turquoise waters... :)

Above all else, we want to feel safe wherever we go; we don't want to visit places that have us clutching our belongings and looking over our shoulders. ;)

Our options:

1) 7 Day San Juan (Valor) - St Thomas, Barbados, St Lucia, St Kitts, St Maarten (estimated costs with airfare, hotel, and transfers $2,600)

2) 7 Day Miami (Glory) - Half Moon Cay, St Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk (estimated costs with airfare and transfers $2,400)

3) 7 Day Miami (Conquest) - Cozumel, Belize, Mahogany Bay, Costa Maya (estimated costs with airfare and transfers $2,265)

4) 6 Day Miami (Breeze) - Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel (estimated costs with airfare and transfers $2,135)

5) 5 Day Tampa (Paradise) - Grand Cayman, Cozumel (estimated costs with airfare and transfers $1,955)

6) 4 Day Miami (Ecstasy) - Key West, Cozumel (estimated costs with airfare and transfers $1,680)

I am only including costs for reference. I want to book the right cruise that'll make us want to do it again - and I'm willing to pay more for a better ship and better destinations.

I appreciate any advice you want to offer!!!

Thanks!

Wendy

Edited by rileyshadow
Typo

If I were you, I would choose a 4 or 5 day. Give yourself a chance to get a feel for cruising and see if you like it. Then spring for a longer one for another special occasion in the future if you do. :) (or for just an ordinary vacation)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Edited by cruising_diva

I'd axe off # 5 & # 6. they are the fantasy class ships which are the smallest of and oldest of all the ships. a coworker sailed on the breeze and from the sounds of it from her and others here it sounds like it is the cream of the crop of carnival ships. my pvp always tells me that if you want water and history you sail western routes. if you want shopping you go eastern.

Cozumel is safe still, so agree with pp and would avoid 1, 2, or 3 and go with

4, 5, or 6. They would be good for a newbie without being overwhelming in the port department and sea days. Many will disagree and say none of the ports are"unsafe", but one can't deny all the added security in many of those ports that is absolutely required at this point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

My nod would have to go to the southern cruise on the Valor out of San Juan.... for a few reasons. Puerto Rico is like a destination in itself not just where to leave from, it feels so exotic but yet still technically part of the United States, . This itinerary is one of the best in the fleet in my opinion. We have done it twice before on the Victory before the Valor and Victory changed places. All the ports are spectacular and really the Caribbean feel. We went on our very first cruise out of San Juan on Celebrity and fell in love with it (both cruising and the Caribbean) I do know airfare is more to San Juan but IMHO so worth it. Please if you have time... read the reviews on our Victory cruises (the same itinerary as the one you are looking at) If you get the chance to do this cruise ... try to go a couple days early or stay a couple to explore San Juan and Puerto Rico. Wherever you decide have a great time and do things you have always wanted to do. In my opinion try to do a 7 day... the shorter cruises sometimes are more of a party atmosphere and while that may be fun sometimes it is not always what cruising is about. :D

Edited by Dirkgun

Our first cruise 2012 was 7 day Legend out of Tampa with ports Cozumel, Belize, Roatan & Grand Cayman.

We just got off the Valor May 4th and that is my favorite of the two 7 day ones we have been on, though could be port intensive for a first cruise maybe?

Hard choice as of the list you have, Valor is the only one I have been on.

We did a 5 day on Triumph in February and never again, TOO short :)

At this point I want 10 day cruises or more but will settle for 7.

Good luck with your choice!

Edited by BettyGiggles

#2. Four awesome ports and a fantastic ship with most upgrades and the best burger at sea. Half moon is paradise and a private island with no hassle. St. Thomas is the USA, very safe, Megans bay is a gorgeous beach with good snorkeling and the best shopping in the Caribbean. San Juan, again the USA, amazing walking town and cultural experience no hassles. Grand Turk can easily be an island to you of just hang out right there at the beach and Margaritaville if that's your bag. This exact itinerary hooked me to cruising two years ago. Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are looking to book our first cruise for our 15-year anniversary and the options are overwhelming! Please help me choose!

I should mention: my dh is "nervous" to venture outside the US (I'm 40; he's 37; and neither of us have ever left the country - pathetic, I know), so ports of call are VERY important - I don't want to choose the wrong ports because I don't want him to say this is our last cruise. No pressure, right?!

As for our interests, we would likely look to do something different in each port - zip lining, shipwrecks, snorkeling, snuba, caves, island tours, cultural, sight seeing, and shopping all appeal to us. And while we wouldn't just plop down on the beach for the day, I'd love to visit a beautiful beach with turquoise waters... :)

Above all else, we want to feel safe wherever we go; we don't want to visit places that have us clutching our belongings and looking over our shoulders. ;)

Our options:

1) 7 Day San Juan (Valor) - St Thomas, Barbados, St Lucia, St Kitts, St Maarten (estimated costs with airfare, hotel, and transfers $2,600) A very port intensive cruise which might be overwhelming for your first. As a new cruiser, you will want to experience everything the ship and the ports have to offer. You will exhaust yourself.

2) 7 Day Miami (Glory) - Half Moon Cay, St Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk (estimated costs with airfare and transfers $2,400)For an anniversary cruise, this may be the way to go especially since you mentioned neither of you have been out of the country before. Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk are both good lazy beach days. St. Thomas and San Juan belong to the US, but do give you a good feel for what the Caribbean is like.

3) 7 Day Miami (Conquest) - Cozumel, Belize, Mahogany Bay, Costa Maya (estimated costs with airfare and transfers $2,265)Every stop on this one is a foreign country. Good choice for beaches, snorkeling and Mayan history.

4) 6 Day Miami (Breeze) - Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel (estimated costs with airfare and transfers $2,135)The newest ship in the Fleet which is a good choice with easy ports. However, it is also the largest ship which might feel a bit overwhelming.

5) 5 Day Tampa (Paradise) - Grand Cayman, Cozumel (estimated costs with airfare and transfers $1,955) One of the oldest ships there is and IMO not a good choice for an anniversary.

6) 4 Day Miami (Ecstasy) - Key West, Cozumel (estimated costs with airfare and transfers $1,680) Trust me, I have to fly for cruises too and NEVER AGAIN will I take a 4 day cruise. Too short because by the time you are finally over jet lag, the cruise is ending.

I am only including costs for reference. I want to book the right cruise that'll make us want to do it again - and I'm willing to pay more for a better ship and better destinations.

I appreciate any advice you want to offer!!!

Thanks!

Wendy

I put comments in red above. IMO, I would take either the Glory or the Breeze - with a slight edge to the Glory.

Choose Carnival excursions for whatever itinerary you pick. That way you meet the guides right at the ship. No worry about getting lost or being left behind.

We loved the Western to Cozumel, Belize (rendezvous cay snorkel tour awesome) mahogany bay (amazing zipline beach break) costa maya (did all inclusive and should have done Mayan ruins)

Everyone had a different view, so you are going to have a tough time deciding. Good luck! ;)

2) 7 Day Miami (Glory) - Half Moon Cay, St Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk (estimated costs with airfare and transfers $2,400)

Wendy

The 7 Day cruise on Glory would give you enough time to experience what a cruise is really like and the ports have the basic safety factor you desire. :)

LuLu

#2 for sure!

Never been on the Glory, but have done the same itinerary on the liberty twice and my husband's first was one of them... And he's hooked now too.

Good selection of ports, not too many, good amount of sea days.

And I much prefer the eastern ports to the western ones.

I'm sure you'll love any one you choose in the end.... So hopefully one day you can eventually experience them all!!

I'm going to go with the Glory. (#2) Half Moon Cay is heaven and the other places are all very easy to navigate and extremely tourist friendly. Plus, the Glory, while not a new ship, has plenty of bells and whistles to impress and we enjoy the tiered deck around the pool.

I'd like to add that I hope this really whets your tastes for travel. When I went on my first cruise, it was my first glimpse of life outside the US and what the world has to offer. I know our media makes it seem like everywhere else is just a plethora of death and doom, but they're lying. The world is a beautiful, lovely place filled with people who are, essentially, exactly like you and me. Traveling has been the greatest blessing in my life, apart from my family.

Happy travels and I hope you have a GREAT trip, no matter which one you decide to take. :)

Our first cruise was our 15th anniversary, too. We were unsure if we'd like it and only booked a 5 day cruise out of Tampa. We immediately wished we had booked a longer cruise. I say do at least the 6 day on the Breeze or do one of the 7 day Eastern Caribbean ones.

I would do #2, also. I have not been on the Glory, but have been on it's sister ship, the Valor. The ports are good ones, beautiful waters, good activities.

Do a 7 day. I hear the shorter cruises tend to appeal to those wanting a quick week-end. Seven days gives you a good relaxed time to try many activites and get to know the ship.

The Breeze is wonderful, but you may be overwhelmed, or you woul never be satisfied with anything less.

Leaving from Miami is good, too. I don't think I'd want to go to San Juan to start my cruisiing experience. Too many new things all at once.

Whatever you choose, you will become addicted and so will your husband. Enjoy your cruise and let us know what you decided.

#1 for sure, I love all those ports. I can't comment on the ship as we have never done her. Go to SJ at least two days early, stay in old San Juan. You can walk to two forts. Rent a car and go visit the Bacardi Factory (OK maybe taxi to Bacardi), Rain Forrest, and Arecibo. It's easy to get around so renting a car isn't a problem. Barbados do the Rhino Riders.

Everyone's going to have their own personal perspective that may not match up to yours. On my husband and my first cruise together (I had cruised twice before) we went the Southern route out of San Juan. He had never cruised before but was born and raised in Hawaii so he was just SURE he'd be bored out of his head on a cruise. He was wrong! Personally, I don't agree with the person who said 4 ports of call would be overwhelming. That gives you 2 days at sea. And all the ports are so very different.

I've been Western Caribbean and Baja Mexico and Southern Caribbean. My next cruise is Western only because of the cost as we're taking our two daughters. All things being equal, I'd much prefer a Southern route again.

Good luck and best wishes for a fantastic time on your first cruise!