Please help me choose the right itinerary for our FIRST cruise!

rileyshadow

number 4

Larger ship going western usually means less motion....

I have never had any trouble in any of those ports....

I have seen trouble in Jamacia and in San Juan.....

Mexico offers some different excursions from horses to jeeps to speed boats....

If you have never been to Key West it is a must just for its quirkiness....

Tampa a nice port to go out of....smaller and can stay in ybor city before your trip.....but realize smaller ships go out of there because they are limited by the skyway bridge on height.....

I like the Jewel of the Seas from RC or Majesty of the seas from RC for first time cruisers on a budget.....

If money not a main factor look at Celebrity Concierge class's, aqua class, or sky suite.....

Princess is now offering 5 day cruises and can get very competing with air.....Princess is not a party ship....

I prefer going out of the Port in ft Lauderdale than the one in Miami....

We've done 4 day, 5 day, and 7 day cruises. To me, anything less than 7 days is just a teaser. Out of the choices you've listed, I'd pick #2. That's a great itinerary for a first time cruise! We've currently got our next cruise booked on the Breeze (8 day Southern itinerary), but we'll be booking the Glory after that. I would probably put your first option as a second choice. I like the itinerary, but flying out of San Juan on debarkation day can be a giant pain in the butt. It's not uncommon for two, three or more cruise ships to all be debarking on the same day in San Juan, which makes for very long lines at the airport.:eek: Just something to keep in mind. Some people opt to stay an extra day in San Juan just to avoid the long lines at the airport.

I would go with the Glory. Ship has upgrades and I love those ports. They are laid back ports that are beautiful and very easy to navigate. I hope you love your first cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

#2! Those are really easygoing ports and they have the safe vibe you desire. You don't even have to plan for anything on Half Moon Cay or Grand Turk, as you can literally get off the ship and plop down on the beach. Plus, I've been to all of the places you've listed and Half Moon Cay is my favorite. I went there on my 2nd cruise and it's what got me hooked :)

I agree with some of the others in feeling like you should axe off #5 and #6. These are older ships and I think you'd be paying way too much to fly down here for only a few days. I'm going on the Paradise in just a few days, but I only have a few hours to drive and grabbed a last minute deal for 2 people that's 1/4th of the total cost you quoted.

Royal caribbean jewel

LOL, it's funny how many people think the newer ships (or another line entirely) will provide the best experience.

Taking a long cruise is a mistake for a first-timer, but Carnival does have the guarantee now if you are miserable they will get you home and refund you (at least that's my understanding). I always tell people to stay close to the mainland on your first cruise in case you are miserable. At least you will see land more often than not. Even three days would be a disaster for someone with significant motion sickness or a phobia of the sea/sailing. This was one of the jokes on our recent 16 nt Miracle Hawaii cruise toward the first-timers.

In response to the pp comment about death and doom, those are real considerations in 2014. Most of us would not travel to some of these cities if they weren't tropical and didn't have a sea around them. Once you have seen some of these ports, many of us would not return without the draw of the warm climate. The sad fact is that staying on the ship is becoming more and more of a choice for many experienced travelers in certain ports. There is nothing quite like touring an unfamiliar (or rarely visited) place and feeling threatened (or being approached) by drunks, drug addicts/dealers, or other shady characters, those with mental illness, the homeless, all of whom seem to be attracted to ports. Even my own city is having issues with disorderly conduct on the river. One must be aware of the heightened risks in port cities.

For the OP, cabin selection will be paramount in your choice. Be sure you are getting a stable (midship), quiet room. Look at all your ports and pick based on your own personal tastes, same for excursions. It doesn't hurt to check the current travel advisories for an area, both health and crime stats. Look at overall ship ratings and what they offer. And, of course, have fun knowing you have prepared the best you can.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

My first cruise with Carnival was a 5 day on the Ecstasy. It's an older, smaller ship, as stated, but I loved it! It's still a lot of fun and the crew was awesome when we were on it. Also Key West and Cozumel and both amazing ports. I say go for that one. :)

Edited by LindseyButlerWilson

#2. HMC is one of the most beautiful places you will see. There are a lot of island tours and things to do on St. Thomas. You can walk to a beautiful beach at Grand Turk. San Juan would be an added bonus and offer something different from the other three ports.

We are looking to book our first cruise for our 15-year anniversary and the options are overwhelming! Please help me choose!

I should mention: my dh is "nervous" to venture outside the US (I'm 40; he's 37; and neither of us have ever left the country - pathetic, I know), so ports of call are VERY important - I don't want to choose the wrong ports because I don't want him to say this is our last cruise. No pressure, right?!

As for our interests, we would likely look to do something different in each port - zip lining, shipwrecks, snorkeling, snuba, caves, island tours, cultural, sight seeing, and shopping all appeal to us. And while we wouldn't just plop down on the beach for the day, I'd love to visit a beautiful beach with turquoise waters... :)

Above all else, we want to feel safe wherever we go; we don't want to visit places that have us clutching our belongings and looking over our shoulders. ;)

Our options:

1) 7 Day San Juan (Valor) - St Thomas, Barbados, St Lucia, St Kitts, St Maarten (estimated costs with airfare, hotel, and transfers $2,600)

2) 7 Day Miami (Glory) - Half Moon Cay, St Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk (estimated costs with airfare and transfers $2,400)

3) 7 Day Miami (Conquest) - Cozumel, Belize, Mahogany Bay, Costa Maya (estimated costs with airfare and transfers $2,265)

4) 6 Day Miami (Breeze) - Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel (estimated costs with airfare and transfers $2,135)

5) 5 Day Tampa (Paradise) - Grand Cayman, Cozumel (estimated costs with airfare and transfers $1,955)

6) 4 Day Miami (Ecstasy) - Key West, Cozumel (estimated costs with airfare and transfers $1,680)

I am only including costs for reference. I want to book the right cruise that'll make us want to do it again - and I'm willing to pay more for a better ship and better destinations.

I appreciate any advice you want to offer!!!

Thanks!

Wendy

If you want a good variety of things to do in ports, #3 would be a great option! Belize has some good excursions to choose from...I've done ziplining/cave tubing and a "Raiders of the Lost Mayan Ruins" tour there that included some hiking, cave exploring, rappeling. It was a pretty physical tour, but really neat. Belize does have some not so nice areas outside of the port and it's definitely a port that I would stick to a ship sponsored tour on...but I never felt unsafe there. Just a heads up...alot of the tours there take place in the rainforest areas which is about a 90 min bus ride away. But we still had a blast.

Honduras has some good tour options as well...nice port area, ziplining and pretty beaches. Only been there once, but really enjoyed it.

Costa Maya would probably be a beach day...it is one of the more beautiful places I've been and I can't wait to go back.

Cozumel has a ton of options! dolphin swims, horseback riding, ATV tours, great beaches and fun atmosphere. Very tourist friendly as well!

From a feeling safe/secure aspect - options 2 & 4 are great as well. Personally, I've been on 14 cruises and too most of the caribbean ports other than the southern ones and have never really felt unsafe. But for those with less experience traveling outside of the US, it can be a little uneasy being in foreign or unfamiliar places. All of the ports in Options 2 & 4 seem to be viewed as safe and are all pretty welcoming to tourists. But crime can happen anywhere...even in the states...so just keep aware of your surroundings and be smart and you'll be fine!

Just a few quick words on the ports in options 2 & 4:

Half Moon Cay - Gorgeous. For a private, uninhabited island there is lots to do.

St. Thomas - I heard the snorkeling is great here and the island is beautiful.

San Juan - lots of history, the forts are very cool to tour! Great to enjoy some of the traditional Puerto Rican culture and history.

Grand Turk - One of my fave ports! Great snorkeling/scuba diving, relaxed atmosphere, great beaches. Not too touristy yet...but still very friendly.

Key West - Small island, alot of bars and history. Shipwreck museum, butterfly museum, aquarium, Hemingway House. Very laid back!

Grand Cayman - Lots of cool things to do - stingray city, HELL, snorkeling, Seven Mile Beach, Rum Factory.

Hope you enjoy your first cruise!

Misty

I recommend #3. We have cruised on the Conquest twice and the Ecstasy twice.

The Conquest is a beautiful ship, but I recommend #3 because of the fantastic itinerary which we experienced on a different cruise line.

Happy anniversary. A cruise is a wonderful way to celebrate!

Edited by JimAOk1945

While the ships may be different, I have done itineraries you mentioned in #'s 1,4,7 and been on the Valor and I would most DEFINITELY choose #1! While this cruise wore me out more than all others due to the number of ports in such a short number of days, it remains my favorite to date! First of all, leaving from San Juan enables to you travel to more distant islands in the Southern Caribbean and out of all my cruises, I enjoyed these ports the most! I have a review of this cruise in my signature - it's the one from 2011 on the Carnival Victory! Also, you could get lucky with airfare if you don't book through Carnival and get a better rate; I wasn't sure if you were booking airfare on your own or through Carnival!

But, keep in mind that you will be VERY tired from a new island every day and may not enjoy much of what the ship has to offer. So I guess I am I biased.

In this case, #4 would be my second choice!

Happy Anniversary Sailing!

Edited by erby2283

We are looking to book our first cruise for our 15-year anniversary and the options are overwhelming! Please help me choose!

I should mention: my dh is "nervous" to venture outside the US (I'm 40; he's 37; and neither of us have ever left the country - pathetic, I know), so ports of call are VERY important - I don't want to choose the wrong ports because I don't want him to say this is our last cruise. No pressure, right?!

As for our interests, we would likely look to do something different in each port - zip lining, shipwrecks, snorkeling, snuba, caves, island tours, cultural, sight seeing, and shopping all appeal to us. And while we wouldn't just plop down on the beach for the day, I'd love to visit a beautiful beach with turquoise waters... :)

Above all else, we want to feel safe wherever we go; we don't want to visit places that have us clutching our belongings and looking over our shoulders. ;)

Our options:

1) 7 Day San Juan (Valor) - St Thomas, Barbados, St Lucia, St Kitts, St Maarten (estimated costs with airfare, hotel, and transfers $2,600)

2) 7 Day Miami (Glory) - Half Moon Cay, St Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk (estimated costs with airfare and transfers $2,400)

3) 7 Day Miami (Conquest) - Cozumel, Belize, Mahogany Bay, Costa Maya (estimated costs with airfare and transfers $2,265)

4) 6 Day Miami (Breeze) - Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel (estimated costs with airfare and transfers $2,135)

5) 5 Day Tampa (Paradise) - Grand Cayman, Cozumel (estimated costs with airfare and transfers $1,955)

6) 4 Day Miami (Ecstasy) - Key West, Cozumel (estimated costs with airfare and transfers $1,680)

I am only including costs for reference. I want to book the right cruise that'll make us want to do it again - and I'm willing to pay more for a better ship and better destinations.

Thanks!

Wendy

We went on our first cruise last year on the Dream and went to Cozumel, Belize, Mahogany Bay and Costa Maya. We took our two boys ages 7 and 9 at the time, and my husband was very hesitant to go. He wanted to try a shorter cruise to make sure we liked it. I said no way. We're going big or not going at all. We LOVED it. Didn't want to leave. The Dream was a little larger than I would have liked but we loved all the ports and all of the excursions we did. Never did we feel unsafe. If you want to know about the excursions we did, let me know. Of all the ports, Belize was our hands down favorite, but I think that was due to the excursion that we did. It was awesome.

We leave on our second cruise on the Conquest in a few weeks to Half Moon Cay, San Juan, St. Thomas and Grand Turk. We can't wait for that one either.

I took my first cruise in 1983. My wife wanted to visit an island for a week and we did all of the research and couldn't make up our minds as to which would be the best island to visit. So we chose a Southern Caribbean cruise sailing from Barbados to San Juan, visiting a different island each day. That way we could determine which would be our favorite island and then return for a longer stay. Well, needless to say, I became hooked on cruising. The most amazing thing about our first cruise was the vast variety of history and culture. We visited French, Dutch, Spanish, and British cultures, and all with a Caribbean flare. The history of these islands is diverse and fascinating. And the beauty is unparalelled. All of the interests that you mentioned in your initial statement can be found on the islands that the Valor will be visiting. I have chosen this Valor cruise for my Grandson's Graduation gift next month. My plan is to treat him to a great fun time and at the same time expose him to a world of history and culture. Whatever you decide you WILL have a phenomenal time. I have never been on a bad cruise.

Hey, a fellow Michigander! What part of the mitten are you from, if you don't mind me asking?

I took my first cruise on the Valor (#1 on your list) in March, and I was so impressed I'm taking the same ship next month. I thought just about everything about it was wonderful. Some notes that may or may not apply in your situation:

* If you haven't been to San Juan before, I recommend getting there early and/or leaving a day later and exploring. You may find some of what you want there, and certainly there are interesting places to explore.

* I felt very safe at all the ports, but I took a lot of Carnival tours and didn't explore much past the terminals. Your mileage may vary.

* I'd say you can do just about everything you on your list at one of the islands or another. St. Thomas and St. Maarten specialize in high-end shopping. I thought St. Lucia had the most natural beauty. But all the islands had several things worth doing. Check out the list of tours Carnival offers for each port - even if you don't decide to do one of their excursions, it will give you a good idea of what's available.

* What do you plan to do on your sea day(s)? The ship will have lots of things to do, but they mostly weren't of interest to me, so I stayed in the cabin and read. You can always stay on the ship when it's in port, but on a sea day you can't get off the ship (though you can walk around various places and get some air).

My personal feeling - worth about what you paid for them - is that #2 is the least exotic of the cruises. That may be exactly what you need from your first cruise, but I like a little more spice in my life. Also, I've considered #3 and #6 in the past; some on different ships, but the same ports. I may take one or both of them one of these fine days.

Good luck to you, whatever you choose.

We are looking to book our first cruise for our 15-year anniversary

I just had to reply to this, because we just went on our first cruise last month, and we were celebrating our 15th anniversary! Your post tugged at my heartstrings! :D:D

You will have an amazing time, no matter what itinerary you choose! Feel free to read my review (link in signature), we did the Western Caribbean, which was Montego Bay, Jamaica and Cozumel. We were supposed to also stop at Grand Cayman, but we had to skip it due to high seas, and that was ON our anniversary. That was disappointing. But we had a great time in both ports. Good luck in making your decision! :)

Our options:

Have never been on the Valor, but have been to San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Maarten. All are great ports for excursions.

2) 7 Day Miami (Glory) - Half Moon Cay, St Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk (estimated costs with airfare and transfers $2,400).

Have been on the Glory, and she's a great ship, and also visited all the ports listed. Would be my first choice for ports.

Have never been on the Conquest, but have been to all the ports listed, and will be returning in August. All are great ports for excursions.

4) 6 Day Miami (Breeze) - Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel (estimated costs with airfare and transfers $2,135).

If ships was the preference, the Breeze would be my choice as is my most recent ship, but the days and ports are limited for me, but would probably be a good choice for a first cruise IMHO.

The Ecstasy and Paradise are good ships, but are older, and are a little small for my taste

Thanks!

Wendy

I would probably go with the Glory or Breeze, with a preference for the Breeze as it has all the bells and whistles of being a new ship, and with the 6 day sailing, you will get to see if you like cruising, and the port/ship days are just right for a new cruiser (IMHO).

Edited by sjcruiser

#2 was our first cruise, wife was afraid of visiting new places and had a great time. I would personally scratch anything less then 7 days, by the time you get the feel of the ship it is time to get off and there is so many things to do.

I would love to do #1, but I really enjoyed San Juan, choosing #2 would give you a taste to see if you would like to sail from there later.

Have you considered the Magic out of Galveston? I can't comment on any of those ships but...

If you are concerned with international travel, don't be, just look at the local news! Just be prudent. Get a passport! Take it with you when you go off the ship and be sure to have a credit card on you as well. God forbid, IF something does happen you will need both to facilitate getting back home. Also purchase travel insurance. I'm sure others will disagree, but for my money (literally), I don't want to get a "Welcome to Mexico Dr. Jones." :eek:

I would say #2 and #4 would give a little of everything form a safer venture viewpoint. Not that others are so terrible..but there is more to be aware of and navigate from my learning here. Newer ships are a little less zany in decor but the zany decor can be fun..it grows on you and make it fun...there are pretty places in the zaney and the new venues are all fun..like a special place each different on the ships. The Breeze would be the more light new decor and have the most choices...but I love them all..more from reading than being on.

I think for me it would be number 2 first with number 4 a shorter close second. But number 2 really offers every aspect of what you are looking for...the most proficiently..as you grow and read all the creative and smart ways people do these itineraries your choices will change and surprise you..the Western snorkling is keeping me on my weight loss plan..LOL..oh I have never seen coral that good from the pictures.

But you will have everything in a nice way , with very well thought out great precautions on a first cruise..and I really need to do one like you want next to get the feel again..it was 91 or 2 the last time..I really enjoyed both San Juan and St Thomas on that cruise and have always wanted to do more there. I agree..leaving from SJ as a port the first time..may not be the ease you want..but would not be afraid too next time...These 2 give you tons to do on all levels and lots of R and R too....Sarah

Edited by sjn911

#2. Four awesome ports and a fantastic ship with most upgrades and the best burger at sea. Half moon is paradise and a private island with no hassle. St. Thomas is the USA, very safe, Megans bay is a gorgeous beach with good snorkeling and the best shopping in the Caribbean. San Juan, again the USA, amazing walking town and cultural experience no hassles. Grand Turk can easily be an island to you of just hang out right there at the beach and Margaritaville if that's your bag. T

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Completely agree , 2

OMG! I did it! I just booked our cruise and flights. My blood is pumping right now I'm so excited/nervous/anxious. I'm feeling a little buyer's remorse right now; hopefully that goes away soon! There's so much to do and not very much time (41 days, to be exact).

We went with the Glory leaving Miami and sailing to HMC, St Thomas, San Juan, and Grand Turk. After researching all of the ports, and taking into consideration our schedules, this felt like the best fit for for us. We leave on June 28!

Thanks for all of the feedback; it was really helpful!

Now to search the boards for the answers to the gazillion questions that I have!

OMG! I did it! I just booked our cruise and flights. My blood is pumping right now I'm so excited/nervous/anxious. I'm feeling a little buyer's remorse right now; hopefully that goes away soon! There's so much to do and not very much time (41 days, to be exact).

We went with the Glory leaving Miami and sailing to HMC, St Thomas, San Juan, and Grand Turk. After researching all of the ports, and taking into consideration our schedules, this felt like the best fit for for us. We leave on June 28!

Thanks for all of the feedback; it was really helpful!

Now to search the boards for the answers to the gazillion questions that I have!

Congratulations! Excellent choice!:) Don't forget the sunblock, and have a great cruise!

When you come back be sure to write a review to let us know how it went for you. You really will have a great time. It is hard to have a bad time on a cruise unless you are just not a happy kind of a person. Don't sweat the small stuff and look to have a great time and you will. :D