Beds on the Ruby

scrapycruiser

We had the 'new' pillow top mattress in both mini suites on our February back to back (we had to change cabins) and found them very comfortable. Just as importantly, we had really nice pillows (my DH even noticed and commented).

I always ask for the toppers. On our last cruise, which was on the Emerald, the steward had put them under the bed in case we needed them. The bed was fine and I had her take them away. It seems to be luck of the draw on any of the older ships. The mattress ,it seems, are not all replaced at the same time.rather than take the chance that the mattress in my cabin is one of the newer ones I plan ahead. Like I said before! there are a limited number of toppers available.

Just back from 19 days on the Ruby. Our 24th cruise with Princess and the beds on this ship were the worst ever. Hard as rock and very narrow. Our wonderful steward finally got us 3 foam pads each which made a huge difference. I didn't know you could order these in advance but will be sure to do that next time.

Cannot understand why they think anyone would want to sleep on the floor which is what these beds felt like.

We fax our request to special services about 3 to 4 weeks before sailing and all but one time it has already been taken care of when we get to our cabin...below is an example of what I send along with the fax #

Fax Transmittal Form

To: Princess Cruises

ATTN: Special Services Dept.

Number of pages: 1

Fax: 661-284-4885

Name:

Booking number:

Ship:

Sail Date:

Cabin Number:

Phone number:

Email add:

Request:

Please arrange for our cabin steward to place an egg crate mattress topper and top sheet on queen bed in stateroom # _______

Thank you.

I was on the Ruby in January and the bed was very comfortable.

What cabin? As stated all rooms are not equal on a ship as some have been upgraded and some have not. I have not yet come across these mythical upgraded beds on any of my Princess cruises to date.

Crossing fingers for our TA in October on the Emerald.

What cabin? As stated all rooms are not equal on a ship as some have been upgraded and some have not. I have not yet come across these mythical upgraded beds on any of my Princess cruises to date.

I don't remember the exact number but it was a balcony cabin on Baja, deck 11. I really don't know if it was upgraded or not, I just know that it was comfortable.

I don't remember the exact number but it was a balcony cabin on Baja, deck 11. I really don't know if it was upgraded or not, I just know that it was comfortable.

You would know instantly if it was upgraded or not as the default beds are rock hard. If you prefer a bed that is like sleeping on concrete than that may answer why you liked it. :)

You can order an egg crate topper on your personalizer. There is a limited supply so ordering in advance is a good idea.

Where in the personalizer can we find this.

Theo

Theo

That is a very good question, and one I have failed to find in the personalizer in its current form.

What I have done in the past is asked my TA to request them with all of the other pre order items we usually get for the cabin, and on the printout she sends me I see the eggcrate toppers on the list of requests.

I cannot seem to see this same info on the personalizer though. Anyone else more successful?

They are out there - we've had the pillow top mattress on all our cruises in the last 2 years: Sapphire (suite), Coral (mini-suite), Caribbean (suite), Royal (suite), Ruby X 2 (mini-suites) but I've read of plenty of folks in balconies and insides having the 'new' mattress too. In fact bed complaints here on Cruise Critic seemed to have diminished greatly in the past 2 years.

Maybe it is truly luck of the draw. Glad our next cruise is on the Ruby in one of the cabins we had on our February B2B. :) Hope you are lucky on the Emerald!

Theo

That is a very good question, and one I have failed to find in the personalizer in its current form.

What I have done in the past is asked my TA to request them with all of the other pre order items we usually get for the cabin, and on the printout she sends me I see the eggcrate toppers on the list of requests.

I cannot seem to see this same info on the personalizer though. Anyone else more successful?

It is not in the personalizer...that is why we fax our request in ourselves. ;)

We were on a B2B Caribbean cruise on the Ruby in March. The bed was very comfortable. It had a pillow top on it. Pillows were also very squishy and comfortable. Our stateroom was A636.

We like a firm mattress, so perhaps what would seem comfortable to us would be "concrete" to someone else. Nonetheless, we slept like babies. Loved the beds.

Karen