Crown or Coral/Island for Alaska

hmtsai

While I started searching on CC a month ago, I found most people recommended Coral/Island for Alaska cruise. So I went ahead and booked Island for this coming August. However, I just talked to a friend who's been on Sapphire for Alaska. She told me Island would be too small for this itinerary since the sea day will be rough. :eek: I don't know if I will be seasick or not. But anyone have been on both big and small ships to Alaska and can give me some of your experiences and advice? (My final payment day is coming soon...)

Anyone that thinks the Island is a small ship has not sailed on a small ship. The Island is a fantastic ship and laid out very well for Alaska, She has two open forward decks and a bunch in the stern, a nice promenade deck also. Enjoy Alaska you have made a good choice.

I sail on the Crown in a couple of weeks but my first choice was the Island/Coral. Didn't work out this year but would sail on them again anytime. What I would call a small ship is in the 30,000 ton , 600 passenger range. Up until maybe 10-15 years ago the Island would have been considered big. I have no real desire to sail on todays massive monsters

Edited by DougH

I have been on both the Coral and Crown but not to Alaska. I was on the Sea Princess to Alaska twice. I think the Sea Princess is smaller than the Coral/Island. With that in mind my choice would be the Island hands down. We never had any problems with motion sickness on our Alaskan cruises and we sailed one time at the end of September.

However, I just talked to a friend who's been on Sapphire for Alaska. She told me Island would be too small for this itinerary since the sea day will be rough. :eek: I don't know if I will be seasick or not.
I have no idea what your friend is talking about since the Island is longer than the Crown and just six feet shorter than the Sapphire. She's "smaller" because she's narrower and doesn't have as many passenger decks as the Crown; and a lot fewer passengers. This means a much better passenger experience. How many times has your friend sailed on the Island or Coral?

Thank you all so much for your responses. Now I feel more confident that I made a good choice. My friend has only been to Alaska once, but she thought she's more knowledgeable than me. However, I think I learned valuable information and got questions answered by very experienced cruisers here. :D

You made a great choice! I've been on the Coral and it's the most spacious and uncrowded ship I've been on with tons of open deck space. I'm hoping to sail on Island someday soon since they share the same design. Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've been on both ships twice. I agree with Pam comments -- the Coral is longer than the Crown. Plus, the Coral has fewer passengers which provides for a much better passenger experience.

Below are the ship's profile:

Crown Princess

116,000 tons

Length 950ft

Beam 118ft

Pass Capacity 3120

Crew size 1142

Decks 14

Restaurants 9

Coral Princess

91,627 tons

Length 965ft

Beam 106ft

Pass Capacity 1974

Crew size 900

Decks 11

Restaurants 7

John

I did the Alaska cruise on the Sapphire the first year it sailed - 12th voyage i think. We sailed from Seattle and it was a magnificent trip. The ship was beautiful - brand new. I have recently been on the Coral for a full-transit of the Panama Canal. I loved the Coral - it's not a small ship at all. I believe the Island does not yet have the upgrades that the Coral has (We were on the 2nd cruise after upgrades). Loved the International Cafe(an upgrade). I'd want to be back on the Coral for Alaska- definitely with a balcony. But, you should also be all over the ship viewing the incredible sights. I'd like to do this cruise again someday.

Thank you all so much for your responses. Now I feel more confident that I made a good choice. My friend has only been to Alaska once, but she thought she's more knowledgeable than me. However, I think I learned valuable information and got questions answered by very experienced cruisers here. :D

We did our first Alaska cruise in 2009 on the Island and loved her. Also did a long Vancouver to FLL on the Coral and loved her. So much so we are doing Alaska agin in two weeks on the Coral. We have done TA's on the Crown and loved her but with the exception of the Ruby, the Coral is our favorite Just the right size as far as we are concerned. Fear not, you made a great choice.

Cheers, Kenn

Also wanted to mention that I spent a few hours on the Crown a couple weeks ago and it felt more congested and closed in compared to the Coral. I realize it's not exactly a fair comparison since I haven't taken a cruise on her. Still a pretty ship but didn't seem like the best fit for Alaska. To me the Coral/Island would be perfect. I also loved the Sapphire but unfortunately she's no longer an option to Alaska.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think that you made a wonderful choice in the Island. We have been to Alaska 3 times on - Island/Coral/Star. We just got off the Crown a couple of weeks ago on a California Coastal. We felt that the Crown was extremely crowded and congested on sea days for our tastes.

We are booked for 2015 on the Coral. We MUCH prefer the Island and the Coral for any cruise because like Pam mentioned, the ship is laid out very well for the number of people onboard. The extra deck of passenger cabins on the Crown was very obvious and although we don't use the elevators, they were usually congested and many people waiting for them.

I think/hope that you have a wonderful time on the Island. Be sure to check out the "secret" viewing decks both forward and aft! :)

Guess she needs to join Cruise Critic so she can be edumacated. :D

I have no idea what your friend is talking about since the Island is longer than the Crown and just six feet shorter than the Sapphire. She's "smaller" because she's narrower and doesn't have as many passenger decks as the Crown; and a lot fewer passengers. This means a much better passenger experience. How many times has your friend sailed on the Island or Coral?

Pam is so correct! In no way are Coral/Island small ships ... just long and narrow!

Why to some people always think they are small ships? :confused:

Whatever, Coral/Island would be our choice for Alaska ... same as they have always been for the Panama Canal.:)

LuLu