Diehard Celebrity Fan tries NCL again

Just got off the Celebrity Solstice this morning and I am happy to report that Celebrity still does a great job. This was our second cruise on Solstice and our 12th Celebrity cruise. I think because the ship wasn't new to us- there was no excitement upon boarding. We knew our way around the ship.

Highlights were Brent Nixon and Mary Amanda Fairchild (Brent's wife). Brent is the naturalist, who does animated lectures and is thoroughly enjoyable. My son and I have had the good fortune of being on three sailings with Brent and never tire of his lectures. His wife did a great presentation on the Titanic that brought a huge lump to my throat... and tears.

The lowpoint of our trip was our Aquaclass Room # 1520. Do not book a room under the gym. It was horribly noisy with people running on the treadmills from 6AM- 11PM. We asked to be moved and were put in cabin 1072, which was so much better.

Wish there was a clothes line in the bathroom but there were none in either cabin.

I only had one meal in Blu and it was fine but nothing to write home about. The best meal we had was at The Tuscan Grille. Loved the goat cheese salad!

Before boarding the Solstice in Vancouver, we did a 5-night cruise up the California coast on the Norwegian Pearl. I hadn't sailed NCL since 2005. Once I discovered Celebrity... I wasn't as fond of NCL anymore and they were off my radar. We had an outside stateroom #1518 and I loved it! I was expecting the cabin to be really small but it was roomy and had ample storage and a great bathroom.

We were never bored on NCL. The food was better than I expected and even though I am somewhat of a cruise snob (I hate Royal Caribbean for instance)- I wouldn't hesitate to book NCL in the future. My son and I preferred the overall vibe on the Pearl to Solstice.

I have another Celebrity cruise picked for next year on Constellation and look forward to it but if NCL was doing the same itinerary--- I'd be thinking about switching to them.

Perhaps once you have sailed a dozen times on Celebrity, you just need a change of pace and new ships to explore like me.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Change can be good. It allows you to experience new things. I've done NCL, RCCL, Princess, HAL and Celebrity. I'm sticking with Celebrity right now but eventually will try the others again when the mood strikes me.

Just got off the Celebrity Solstice this morning and I am happy to report that Celebrity still does a great job. This was our second cruise on Solstice and our 12th Celebrity cruise. I think because the ship wasn't new to us- there was no excitement upon boarding. We knew our way around the ship.

Highlights were Brent Nixon and Mary Amanda Fairchild (Brent's wife). Brent is the naturalist, who does animated lectures and is thoroughly enjoyable. My son and I have had the good fortune of being on three sailings with Brent and never tire of his lectures. His wife did a great presentation on the Titanic that brought a huge lump to my throat... and tears.

The lowpoint of our trip was our Aquaclass Room # 1520. Do not book a room under the gym. It was horribly noisy with people running on the treadmills from 6AM- 11PM. We asked to be moved and were put in cabin 1072, which was so much better.

Wish there was a clothes line in the bathroom but there were none in either cabin.

I only had one meal in Blu and it was fine but nothing to write home about. The best meal we had was at The Tuscan Grille. Loved the goat cheese salad!

Before boarding the Solstice in Seattle, we did a 5-night cruise up the California coast on the Norwegian Pearl. We had an outside stateroom #1518 and I loved it! I was expecting the cabin to be really small but it was roomy and had ample storage and a great bathroom.

We were never bored on NCL. The food was better than I expected and even though I am somewhat of a cruise snob (I hate Royal Caribbean for instance)- I wouldn't hesitate to book NCL in the future. My son and I preferred the overall vibe on the Pearl to Solstice.

I have another Celebrity cruise picked for next year on Constellation and look forward to it but if NCL was doing the same itinerary--- I'd be thinking switching to them.

Perhaps once you have sailed a dozen times on Celebrity, you just need a change of pace and new ships to explore like me.

Glad to hear you had an enjoyable time on the NCL Pearl. That was the first NCL ship I cruised on and found it to be quite nice as well.

Before boarding the Solstice in Seattle, we did a 5-night cruise up the California coast on the Norwegian Pearl. I hadn't sailed NCL since 2005. Once I discovered Celebrity... I wasn't as fond of NCL anymore and they were off my radar. We had an outside stateroom #1518 and I loved it! I was expecting the cabin to be really small but it was roomy and had ample storage and a great bathroom.

I have another Celebrity cruise picked for next year on Constellation and look forward to it but if NCL was doing the same itinerary--- I'd be thinking switching to them.

Was the food better on NCL in the MDR? I remember long ago we did a NCL and the food (buffet was even worse) was not very good...but like I said it was many moons ago.

Was the food better on NCL in the MDR? I remember long ago we did a NCL and the food (buffet was even worse) was not very good...but like I said it was many moons ago.

We thought that the food was very good but we didn't eat in the MDR. We ate in the buffet or the specialty restaurants so can't comment on the MDR. I think Celebrity food is better but was perfectly happy with the food on NCL. The worst food was at the Blue Lagoon- the free 24 hour restaurant but there were plenty of other options.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Great post....glad you had a great trip!

It's good that you realize the value of mixing up lines and ships for some variety. We LOVE Celebrity, but sail with other cruise lines once a year, as well. There are too many different ports and itineraries and ships to stick to just one repeatedly. Some we have loved, some we haven't, but it's always fun to try something new. And we ALWAYS have a great time.

Michael

We thought that the food was very good but we didn't eat in the MDR. We ate in the buffet or the specialty restaurants so can't comment on the MDR. I think Celebrity food is better but was perfectly happy with the food on NCL. The worst food was at the Blue Lagoon- the free 24 hour restaurant but there were plenty of other options.

Many thnaks!!

We are also long time Celebrity cruisers who tried NCL last summer on the Breakaway. Overall, we were very pleased with the experience. Our two biggest complaints were the MDR(s) food, & the overcrowding in the pools. However, it was a family cruise in summer, with tons of kids, which made it seem more crowded. I would hope that a cruise when school is in session would be less crowded.

While the MDR food was horrible; the 8 adults in our group all agreed, the food in the specialty restaurants was very good to excellent.

We found the service throughout was very good, & the entertainment was excellent.

While we are mostly Celebrity loyalists, we would book NCL again, especially when schools are in session.

Oh, & it was refreshing not to play dress up!