If you have sailed the Sunshine...Please comment on the odor issue

mpcaruth

Usually, transient "sewer" odors on ships are from deck drains in areas that do not get a lot of water going down the drain. The drains have S-traps in them just like sinks, showers, and toilets at home, that use a trapped amount of water to act as a stopper to prevent bad odors from coming back up the drain. If a drain does not get regular water added to it (in passageways or some public spaces, for instance), the A/C will tend to dry out the water in the trap, and the smell will appear. Pouring a quart of water down the drain re-establishes the trap and odor goes away.

For cabins, there is usually a drain in the floor of the bathroom, which does not see much water, unless you splash a lot from the shower. Pouring a glass of water down this daily generally prevents any odor problems in your cabin.

Ha ha! That's awesome! Take good care of them :)

When are you going? Hopefully you will have Rosie... She's so fun! Don't tell her I posted the pic of her with no makeup on though :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We'll be on the April 18th sailing next yr...Its great to hear how much fun you had and how much you enjoyed the ship..Our girls who will be 14 and 11 are looking forward to it, especially our youngest, she loved the rope course on the Breeze , sometimes it was hard getting her off it, lol! And that would be awesome if we had Rosie as well!! She sounds great and a little cutie! I showed my husband the other nite your cabin pics, "as I said woohooo look its our rooms!!" he just shakes his head and laughs, !! Yeah little things, lol

We'll be on the April 18th sailing next yr...Its great to hear how much fun you had and how much you enjoyed the ship..Our girls who will be 14 and 11 are looking forward to it, especially our youngest, she loved the rope course on the Breeze , sometimes it was hard getting her off it, lol! And that would be awesome if we had Rosie as well!! She sounds great and a little cutie! I showed my husband the other nite your cabin pics, "as I said woohooo look its our rooms!!" he just shakes his head and laughs, !! Yeah little things, lol

Too funny! I am the same way :)

You will have to check back in and let me know what you guys thought!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We sailed her in March of this year.

We spent most of our time on board up in the Serenity area, Our cabin was on deck 11.

Only time we smelled the odor was late in the trip just forward of the atrium around the shops or photo areas. (cant remember exactly which one). A friend was on one of the lower decks and said it was more prevalent down there.

I mentioned it to our PVP and was told it is a by product of turning sea water into drinking water. ????

Usually, transient "sewer" odors on ships are from deck drains in areas that do not get a lot of water going down the drain. The drains have S-traps in them just like sinks, showers, and toilets at home, that use a trapped amount of water to act as a stopper to prevent bad odors from coming back up the drain. If a drain does not get regular water added to it (in passageways or some public spaces, for instance), the A/C will tend to dry out the water in the trap, and the smell will appear. Pouring a quart of water down the drain re-establishes the trap and odor goes away.

For cabins, there is usually a drain in the floor of the bathroom, which does not see much water, unless you splash a lot from the shower. Pouring a glass of water down this daily generally prevents any odor problems in your cabin.

Thank you for this simple and easy tip!! Will remember!!

I am looking at booking a cruise on the Sunshine, and am researching to determine which cabin to select. There are so many posts about the sewage smells in the halls and in the cabins. And there are just about as many comments stating they never smelled the odors. So apparently, there must be good cabin locations and bad cabin locations in regards to sewer odor.

I considering one of the forward Picture Window (obstructed view) cabins on Deck 3 just forward of Guest Services. This is a convenient location and has the larger quad cabins with sofa bed for an Inside cabin price. I have found one post that said to stay away from one cabin in this area (cabin 3107) due to smell.

I think it would be beneficial to future Sunshine cruisers for past cruisers to compile a list of good and bad locations. If you would, please, list as much as you can remember about your cabin: # , type, deck locations (aft, mid, forward), and whether or not there was a sewer odor issue near your cabin. Was it the entire cruise, or limited to certain times? It may help to include date of sailing, as I suspect (or hope rather) that Carnival has tried to improve the odor conditions.

Thanks!

We were on the 6th floor in an AFT balcony and did not smell anything.

We too were on the 11 day repositioning cruise. We were in an aft extended cabin on deck 5. No issues there. We did smell the occasional sewage smell around the ship. If I remember correctly I think we smelled it most often around the atrium elevators between deck 3-5. It really was in a limited area and not all the time. Didn't affect our cruise still had a great time. The ship really grew on us as the time went along.

For what it's worth,

there have been times on every ship that we've sailed that we smelled a bit of sewage odor in places.

Never anything that hung around.

It wouldn't bother us unless it lingered or was in an eating area.

I take notice of how systems work.

I read the little labels on those big louvred panels

on upper outer decks that say AirCon this and AirCon that.

Some of the panels are AirCon IN, and you can hear and feel the air going into the ship.

I came across a few where the label said AirCon OUT.

If you think about it...what goes in has to come out somewhere.

Now... somewhere in some cabin at some point in time

someone's going to be "cutting a stinky one" in their bathroom. :eek:

The extraction fan that lives right over the bowl (for a reason)

is going to be ducting away The Smell from that bathroom, going into the OUT system

- and making its way to one of the big louvred AirCon OUT panels on an upper deck somewhere!

I reckon this is the reason for The Smell out on open upper decks

which I have experienced on Deck 10 aft, Carnival Valor for instance.

For smells INside the ship along hallways

that's probably a plumbing problem, not an AirCon problem.

I take notice of how systems work.

I read the little labels on those big louvred panels

on upper outer decks that say AirCon this and AirCon that.

Some of the panels are AirCon IN, and you can hear and feel the air going into the ship.

I came across a few where the label said AirCon OUT.

If you think about it...what goes in has to come out somewhere.

Now... somewhere in some cabin at some point in time

someone's going to be "cutting a stinky one" in their bathroom. :eek:

The extraction fan that lives right over the bowl (for a reason)

is going to be ducting away The Smell from that bathroom, going into the OUT system

- and making its way to one of the big louvred AirCon OUT panels on an upper deck somewhere!

I reckon this is the reason for The Smell out on open upper decks

which I have experienced on Deck 10 aft, Carnival Valor for instance.

For smells INside the ship along hallways

that's probably a plumbing problem, not an AirCon problem.

Most times, they try to vent the "fart sucker" fans as high as possible (for obvious reasons as you posted), but I guess deck 10 might be one area.

We were in a forward balcony cabin on deck 6 just last week and noticed the smell in our cabin very briefly on two different days. I did pinpoint the smell as coming from that drain and after I placed the toilet bowl brush holder over that drain we never had another issue. Don't know if it was the placement or maybe water from the shower getting in the drain (after our room steward replaced our curtain with one that was too narrow and too short :D) but it was certainly the most minor of problems. We did have two people on our hall that moved cabins for some reason, thinking it was a/c issues as there were people working in the hallways on different panels for much of the week. They also replaced the thermostat in our cabin, although we had no issues with the a/c personally.

Just off Sunshine - regarding sewage smells - only encountered a "sewage type" smell while in port - near the sports area...they must have been flushing lines because when we returned to the room there was a gritty sediment in toilet bowl- I called the front desk, nervous there may be an issue (given accounts I have read here) and was told they did flush the lines that day...other than that did not encounter any other sewage smells...toilet water went back to normal within a couple flushes...

Now we did encounter a horrible dirty grease smell in our (aft) cabin - 3 days into the cruise - it was awful- front desk was quick to respond - gave us a fan- it did help move the air around....then it happened a couple times after that but not as bad as the first time - perhaps they were cleaning grease traps...

The ship is very nice - don't miss the shows - they are really good...

Enjoy your cruise...

We were in aft balcony cabin on deck 7, loved the ship but avoid cabin 7327. Not for any smell reasons though, the only smell we got was a wonderful aroma from the Asian and Cuban restaurants above us. Wow did that make me hungry. The reason we don't recommend the cabin is it has no seating and the television is mounted above the headboard. so the only way to watch tv is to lay on the bed upside down. No big deal but annoying. First Carnival ship we've been on (and we're platinum) that didn't have that little love seat in it. Room steward said it was only our cabin and the one on the opposite end of aft row.

Have to say I'm very sensitive to smells, and there was nothing on the May 25 sailing that would've prevented me from sailing the Sunshine again. We had connecting spa balconies, 10112 & 10114. The toilet in 10112 had a constant urine smell from the very beginning that other toilets didn't have, but oh well, it IS a toilet, after all, lol, and it was clean. I noticed the sewage smell, very light, every time I was near the door to the cabins from the lounging deck on deck 10 port side, but it was just a light whiff. None of the other 5 people I was with knew that smell might be an issue on this ship, and no one ever mentioned a thing about smells. Beautiful ship!

Sent from my iPad using Forums