Recent cruisers on the Grand......

tjcletsgo

Hi. We were just off the Grand after the two week Hawaii trip from April 28 to May 13. We were in a mini suite if that matters. Bed was too hard for me so had JoJo put two mattress toppers on it for me. Was fine but did get shoulder aches half way through the trip. I am used to sleeping on a sleep number but was not too uncomfortable on the Grand bed. Hope this helps. Any other questions just ask.

timesurfer7, this is what I'm afraid of. We are also booked in a mini-suite on Emerald deck. We sailed last October on the Golden and I had to hobble around for a few minutes after getting up because the bed was so bad. I've sailed on RCCL, HAL, and Disney and I can't believe the beds on Princess. Shocking!:eek:

We were on the Grand in March in a mini suite, Dolphin deck. I thought the beds were ok. In fact we usually request an egg crate top but didn't this time and I didn't have any problems. The beds are on the firm side though, a little too firm for my liking. On previous Princess cruises I have felt like I needed traction after sleeping in those beds for a week!

With all of the cut backs Princess has made I do wish they would invest a bit more in nicer beds. If passengers are well rested wouldn't they be happier and more likely to spend more money on activities, excursions, etc?

Oh shoot, we just booked the Grand yesterday. It was between Princess and Celebrity. It's been 3 years since sailing with Princess. I forgot all about the hard beds on Princess:eek:

Hello secret castle, we met a few days ago at the CC M&G.

We too were in a Caribe premium balcony and our bed had some sort of mattress topper plus an egg crate topper. Don't remember asking for either. Felt really comfortable that first night but my hip got progressively sorer over this short four day cruise. Almost like the mattress was hard but sinking a bit in the middle of my side. DH can sleep on and through anything so no problem for him.

Wish they would have some consistency, even with same ships.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Hello secret castle, we met a few days ago at the CC M&G.

We too were in a Caribe premium balcony and our bed had some sort of mattress topper plus an egg crate topper. Don't remember asking for either. Felt really comfortable that first night but my hip got progressively sorer over this short four day cruise. Almost like the mattress was hard but sinking a bit in the middle of my side. DH can sleep on and through anything so no problem for him.

Wish they would have some consistency, even with same ships.

Welcome home!!! Hope your disembarkation went as smooth for you as ours did.

I think DH and I are lucky because we do not have any back problems so we can be comfortable almost anywhere :)

Did you see all the funny signs my friend put up on my cabin? The last night she put up a " for rent" sign:)

how were the beds??????????:eek:

Disembarked this morning. Is that recent enough? :D

Our bed was firm - exactly the way we both like it. We slept extremely well. Cabin C752.

Disembarked this morning. Is that recent enough? :D

Our bed was firm - exactly the way we both like it. We slept extremely well. Cabin C752.

That's one of our favorite cabins. I've read a couple recent reviews which reference leakage issues and moldy smells in the aft of the ship, specifically on Alohadeck. Did you notice any such issues on board ? We just booked this ship yesterday.

Also, how was the food in the MDR and how was the entertainment? Was there plenty of entertainment at night?

Thanks

We were on in April and the bed was fine!

The ship was also in good shape. A feature we really liked on this ship which was different than the other Grand Class ships was a lounging area outside the Club 15. They took out what is typically the kids play area and installed outside couches which made for a very relaxing area to read, share a bottle of wine and just relax.

Overall, for one of the older ships, we had a really great cruise and thought the ship was wonderful.

Sleep well! If the bed is to firm, just order an egg crate and you will sleep like a baby!

I was in inside cabin B524 April 28-May 12 and found the mattress too soft. We like firm mattresses and while the mattress was comfortable, after a few days I was getting a little sore form it being too soft.

For us Princess was a grand failure (lol!) and we just got off yesterday in Vancouver. The beds had such deep trenches (obviously past due for replacement) that there was a ridge between us when put together as a queen bed. Not kidding! First time on a cruise that we could not snuggle in the middle without rolling apart into our individual trenches. The condition of the mattresses was terrible.......:(

Edited by thyme2go

We got off the Grand yesterday and slept perfectly comfortably as we always do at sea. We did not have an egg topper.

Opinions on mattresses are so subjective that it's hardly worth the effort to ask other folks what they think. The only thing that really matters is what you think.

For us Princess was a grand failure (lol!) and we just got off yesterday in Vancouver. The beds had such deep trenches (obviously past due for replacement) that there was a ridge between us when put together as a queen bed. Not kidding! First time on a cruise that we could not snuggle in the middle without rolling apart into our individual trenches. The condition of the mattresses was terrible.......:(

It was much the same for us, saggy middle and center ridge, in spite of having both an additional mattress topper as well as egg crate. We were in premium balcony, Caribe 610.

In spite of that we really enjoyed our cruise - interesting people, good food and good service, some good entertainment, etc.

It really is hit or miss what your mattress will be like.

Edited by bigenna

That's one of our favorite cabins. I've read a couple recent reviews which reference leakage issues and moldy smells in the aft of the ship, specifically on Alohadeck. Did you notice any such issues on board ? We just booked this ship yesterday.

Also, how was the food in the MDR and how was the entertainment? Was there plenty of entertainment at night?

Thanks

We had zero issues with weird smells, etc. All of the food we had in MDR was great - as was our wait staff. The entertainment was pretty good but we did skip British Invasion. On a 4 day cruise there wasn't enough time to spend any of it on that particular show. :rolleyes:

Steve Morris was fun and we saw him twice - different show each time. The comedian/magician Garry Carson was pretty good for his main show. His welcome aboard show wasn't as good and, much to my surprise, I was one of the two people he dragged onto the stage as part of that show. His main show was different and took into account the children in the audience. We really enjoyed the entertainment in the piazza.

The cruise was way too short but, other than that, we had a wonderful time.

I was in C618, a few cabins aft of bigenna (don't know them but for some reason kept trying to enter that cabin!) Matress was great. Actually more comfortable then the Portland Hilton I'm in now.

Guess people will be happy when and if Princess gets sleep number beds./FONT]

I was in C618, a few cabins aft of bigenna (don't know them but for some reason kept trying to enter that cabin!) Matress was great. Actually more comfortable then the Portland Hilton I'm in now.

Guess people will be happy when and if Princess gets sleep number beds./FONT]

First off, I think it's great that some people had mattresses that worked well for them and didn't have an early exercise regime to get out of bed. I WISH all mattresses were like the one you had......but clearly there are some that are NOT in good condition. It had nothing to do with the firmness (ie Sleep Number)----it had everything to do with the condition of the mattress--an overused/past replacement mattress with a valley in the middle. It was so bad you could see it when you looked at the bed fully made.......no need to lay down in it! This speaks poorly of Princess, and perhaps it's part of their business strategy.......why make every passenger happy if you can neglect a smaller percentage of them? Our other cruises on Princess were longer, and thank god we didn't have this mattress....but this DOES affect the cruise experience. I feel sorry for cruisers that follow us. I hope you get to experience it someday so you can refrain from judgments that have no merit.....